PDA

View Full Version : Walter E. Smith Field??

DaveIsHere
03-31-2006, 06:38 AM
Mike North and bhis crew were talking this morning that there is a rumor of Wrigley being named this? They said it was on channel 5 or 7 news last night?? Is it just an April Fool's joke?

I will laugh my ass off if this happens though!

TommyJohn
03-31-2006, 07:11 AM
Mike North has a tradition of pulling off lame, dumb, stupid, idiotic, unfunny,
idiotic, stupid, dumb, lame, lame lame lame lame April Fool's jokes. He's a
jerk doofus dumbass stupid asswipe. Pay it no mind.

Edward
03-31-2006, 07:13 AM
The Smithe Bros are airing several commercials about this, and there was a spokeswoman on NBC 5 news this morning and she said its true. I say April Fools

Viva Medias B's
03-31-2006, 07:15 AM
Gee, I wonder if this is really happening. You know, Walter E. Smithe has actually been running commercials announcing the name change. One has Dutchie Caray saying "If only Harry was around to see this." And outside of Studio 5 this morning, one of the Smithe brothers and a woman from the company were there. He was wearing a shirt with the newly named stadium's logo, and she was holding a placard with it.

Viva Medias B's
03-31-2006, 07:17 AM

Remember two years ago when the Sox traded Paul Konerko to Cincinnati for Ken Griffey Jr.?

Madvora
03-31-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm so sick of these Smithe idiots and their commercials trying to become Chicago icons. This marketing campaign sucks and it make a lot of sense that they are trying to tie themselves to Wrigley Field.
I saw the commercials this morning. They're fake press conferences about them wanting to put a dome on Wrigley and stuff like that.
These guys are showing up in KFC commericals too. I can't stand it.

They're trying to make themselves something like the Empire Carpet guy and be recognizable to Chicago.

Hangar18
03-31-2006, 08:10 AM
Its a joke, I knew it right from the start. Whats disturbing is these guys
are trying really really hard to pull an XRT and be on the cubs wagon. They dont realize that the Cubs are an awful team to hitch your wagon to.
I cant believe that some of the media outlets are falling for this ............... but as usual, I know what the real deal is, just turning the attention away from where it should rightfully be, on the WHITE SOX
can anyone guess where I WONT be shopping for furniture?

ChiSoxGirl
03-31-2006, 08:14 AM
Take it for what it's worth and consider the source, but this morning on Eric & Kathy, the same discussion was being had about the possible name change from The Shrine to Walter E. Smithe Field. And people make fun of U.S. Cellular Field?!? :rolleyes:

Hangar18
03-31-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm so sick of these Smithe idiots and their commercials trying to become Chicago icons.

Amen. Hmmmmm, if your doing the marketing for a company, which team do you attach yourselves to?
Team A: World Series Champions in 2005, 13 90-win seasons since 1950, 34 "winning" seasons over all since 1950
OR
Team B: 4th place in 2005, only 3 90-win seasons since 1950, only 14 "winning" seasons since 1950

If im on the board of directors, I clearly want to associate with Team A, they look like a winning, championship franchise. Team B? hahahahahah.
Looks like Walter E Smithe is furniture for losers.

Viva Medias B's
03-31-2006, 08:22 AM
IT'S TRUE!!!!!

Link (http://smithe.com/field.htm)

Also, just now in New York on the "Today" show, someone flashed a placard with the Smithe Field dome on it.

SOXPHILE
03-31-2006, 08:43 AM
All the morning drive time radio shows, "Morning Zoos", WGN Morning News, etc. are probably doing this today since April 1 falls on a Saturday, when nobody would really care. More people see and hear and talk about it on a weekday morning as they eat their Cheerios and get ready for work/school. It is a pretty lame April Fools joke though. To me, it's hard to beat the time back in about 1996, when Taco Bell took out adds in newspapers all over the country to announce they had bought the Liberty Bell, to help pay for it's upkeep and restoration, and that from now on, it would be known as the Taco Liberty Bell.

NonetheLoaiza
03-31-2006, 08:46 AM
Worst April Fools joke ever. This is A) not even a little funny, and B) not even believable.

Ol' No. 2
03-31-2006, 09:21 AM
Worst April Fools joke ever. This is A) not even a little funny, and B) not even believable.and C) a day early. Don't these people have calendars?

MM2112
03-31-2006, 09:25 AM
I saw these commercials this morning and it makes me sick. Just another fake Cubbie-bandwagon campaign...and I can guarantee that when I move into my new house in a month...there will be NO FURNITURE from WESmithe

Railsplitter
03-31-2006, 10:17 AM
It's a commercial.

Actually, unless Arrowhead Stadium has chnced it's name or a certain bottled water company has gone under Wrigley Field is one of two places that could get a a corporate sponsor without changing it's name.

soxinem1
03-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Amen. Hmmmmm, if your doing the marketing for a company, which team do you attach yourselves to?
Team A: World Series Champions in 2005, 13 90-win seasons since 1950, 34 "winning" seasons over all since 1950
OR
Team B: 4th place in 2005, only 3 90-win seasons since 1950, only 14 "winning" seasons since 1950

If im on the board of directors, I clearly want to associate with Team A, they look like a winning, championship franchise. Team B? hahahahahah.
Looks like Walter E Smithe is furniture for losers.

They want to be the next Heilig-Meyers, which is actually the next Woolworth, Woolco, Goldblatt, Venture, Handy Andy, etc.

Unregistered
03-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Take it for what it's worth and consider the source, but this morning on Eric & Kathy, the same discussion was being had about the possible name change from The Shrine to Walter E. Smithe Field.

http://www.desmoinesbroadcasting.com/krnq-kstz/q-morning-zoo/zoo-crew-3.jpg

"Hey-ey-ey-ey! It's the wacky morning zoo! We're just a bunch of cut-ups around here trying to brighten up your morning! We've got some bad news, though... it's gonna be snowing all weekend! In other news, the Cubs and White Sox will be switching stadiums this year for selected home games...

April Fools!"

:rolleyes:
Death to "wacky" morning zoo crews.

jerrykrause4pres
03-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn that the Smith (with an E) brothers were doing White Sox commercials after the Sox won the World Series? I watch WGN 9 Morning News before school and unfortunately for me they advertise every other commercial on that station.

Lip Man 1
03-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Just wondering....

Why does anyone waste their valuable time listening to the doofus North?

Can someone give me a rational reason for doing so.

I'd rather hit myself in the head with a hammer rather then listen to that uneducated, mush-mouthed, pompous, moron.

Lip

McCuddy
03-31-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm so sick of these Smithe idiots and their commercials trying to become Chicago icons. .

Aw, c'mon... they're hilarious. Remember when they pretended to be a band? Comedy.

thomas35forever
03-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Do you guys really think this is an April Fools joke? I seemed convinced for awhile, but now I don't know what to believe. I can be very gullible at times.

PatK
03-31-2006, 02:38 PM
What scares me is that there are people that actually think their commercials are clever and/or funny.

I want those people to die slow, painful deaths.

Luke
03-31-2006, 03:16 PM
Did they actually photoshop together a picture of Wrigley and the Humpdome? That is by far, the worst baseball facility ever conceived, and proof that two wrongs don't make a right.

I feel dirty for having seen that.

MarySwiss
03-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Do you guys really think this is an April Fools joke? I seemed convinced for awhile, but now I don't know what to believe. I can be very gullible at times.

IMHO, it's an April Fools joke--and not a very good one. I can visualize some "genius" saying to him- or herself that this is a great idea, "but if we run it on April 1, people will catch on. I know, let's run it on March 31st. That'll fool 'em!"

Sheesh!

soxwon
03-31-2006, 07:41 PM
Early aprils fool joke.

Realist
03-31-2006, 07:50 PM
Is "Chico's Bail Bonds Field" already taken?

StockdaleForVeep
03-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Remember two years ago when the Sox traded Paul Konerko to Cincinnati for Ken Griffey Jr.?

Boy how we lost out on that trade

J Co
03-31-2006, 08:01 PM
Someone at work told me they're paying $5million/year for 50 years, so obviously it's not true. There's no way that place will be standing in 10 years, much less 50

CLR01
03-31-2006, 08:55 PM
Someone at work told me they're paying $5million/year for 50 years, so obviously it's not true. There's no way that place will be standing in 10 years, much less 50

Naming rights could carry over to a new park. I seriously doubt a 12 store chain is bringing in $5 million extra per year that they could throw away on a stadium name.

TornLabrum
03-31-2006, 09:02 PM

Yeah, like a local furniture store can afford that kind of money....Sheesh!

CubsfansareDRUNK
03-31-2006, 09:21 PM
stupid

thomas35forever
03-31-2006, 10:29 PM
All right, I just saw another commercial for it. It looked like bad acting and they weren't serious enough, so I am now convinced that this is all a big hoax. Who outside of Chicago has even heard of Walter E. Smithe anyway?

jerrykrause4pres
03-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Wouldn't this be all over the cubs' official website? Or even on Sportscenter/ESPNNEWS?

I want Mags back
04-01-2006, 03:34 PM
They're trying to make themselves something like the Empire Carpet guy and be recognizable to Chicago.

good example, hey he made it into waynes world

FedEx227
04-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Victory Autowreckers to build domed stadium for the Joliet Jackhammers.

http://www.webkunst.org/toronto/inhalte/skydome/skydome_light.jpg

Who knew that mullet guy was such a gold-mine?

HotelWhiteSox
04-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Just saw a commercial where they say it was a prank, and the Smithe guys have a 'press conference' talking about how they did the prank for their love of the Cubs.

-insert vomiting tag-

Blob
04-01-2006, 10:43 PM
I actually saw a scrubbie fan at a birthday party today. He was upset over this. I looked at him and said, "It's a joke." He actually said, "How do you know?" I had to remind him what day it was. I teased him the rest of the part for it!

tick53
04-02-2006, 11:39 AM

My sentiments exactly. North makes me want to puke.:puking: