PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody notice looking at the schedule...

lostletters
03-31-2006, 01:48 AM
There are more games on WGN and WCIU then last year. It seems like there is at least two games a week on these two networks. Not saying I like the tribune, but taking I a without cable right now, I do appreciate the fact more games are going to be on broadcast TV.

MUsoxfan
03-31-2006, 01:54 AM
I NEVER appreciate any games, especially MORE games on WCIU. That is the most god-awful station on the face of the planet.

HotelWhiteSox
03-31-2006, 01:55 AM
Hmmm, when will the first Illinois lottery commercial be

MUsoxfan
03-31-2006, 02:07 AM
Hmmm, when will the first Illinois lottery commercial be

That's the least of my dislikes....

http://www.mcsittel.com/assets/images/wciu26.jpg

http://myweb.wvnet.edu/e-gor/tvhorrorhosts/grafix/stoogeapalooza7.jpg

And.....

http://www.svengoolieweb.com/svenshirt3.gif

The kicker is having to hear how dogs like "Bowser from South Holland" can't wait to watch those shows. Dogs must be a big part of their ratings

lostletters
03-31-2006, 02:11 AM
Actually I kind of like how bad WCIU is. I don't know why, but there is something special with it. It is really one of the last real UHF stations out there in a way. I know that might not appeal to everybody, but it has a special place in my heart.

TheOldRoman
03-31-2006, 02:12 AM
1. King of Queens if a damn funny show.
2. If you can't appreciate the sophisticated, high brow humor of the 3 Stooges, then I pity you.

I hated the Sox having games on WCIU when I was down in Champaign, but now that I am back home I don't mind it. It is good that the Sox have more games on WGN, though. Hopefully the Sox can create more of a national following.

Iwritecode
03-31-2006, 10:33 AM
There are more games on WGN and WCIU then last year. It seems like there is at least two games a week on these two networks. Not saying I like the tribune, but taking I a without cable right now, I do appreciate the fact more games are going to be on broadcast TV.

Actually, the break down is the exact same as last year.

99 CNS/CNS+
29 WGN
25 WCIU
6 Fox
3 ESPN
1 no TV

I know that doesn't add up right but there's one game that's shown on both CSN and ESPN.

Dadawg_77
03-31-2006, 10:52 AM
I just don't like games on WCIU because of the picture quality. Once you go HD, you really can't go back.

Dadawg_77
03-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Actually, the break down is the exact same as last year.

99 CNS/CNS+
29 WGN
25 WCIU
6 Fox
3 ESPN
1 no TV

I know that doesn't add up right but there's one game that's shown on both CSN and ESPN.

What game is no TV? I don't have my schedule on me.

batmanZoSo
03-31-2006, 10:55 AM

Wow, how'd you get such good reception? :o: Can I watch at your place? :cool:

itsnotrequired
03-31-2006, 10:57 AM
What game is no TV? I don't have my schedule on me.

September 30th at Minnesota.

Stupid Gopher football...

Thome's Homey
03-31-2006, 11:05 AM
1. Why no love for "King Of Queens?" Dare I call it the funniest show on TV?

2. Stupid WCIU. No WCIU on my cable provider = no WCIU games = stuck listening to Ed Farmer on those days. ARGH!

Iwritecode
03-31-2006, 11:46 AM

I swear this is the 2nd or 3rd year they've done this too. Why can't they either a) schedule an away game for the Twins that day or b) schedule ANOTHER team to play in Minnesota that day?

NoNeckEra
03-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Actually I kind of like how bad WCIU is. I don't know why, but there is something special with it. It is really one of the last real UHF stations out there in a way. I know that might not appeal to everybody, but it has a special place in my heart.
Back in the days when they first hit the airwaves(pre-cable in 1967 or so) they gave us such gems as b&w pro wrestling, roller derby, etc, etc, with their signal dribbling off the Board of Trade Building. Comcast tells me their picture "stinks" because it's the best Comcast can get it off the air to re-distribute it. I think their transmitter is now atop the Monroe St underground garage.

Chicken Dinner
03-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Having to watch the games on MLB Extra Innings, I hate WCIU.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-31-2006, 12:17 PM
I'll stick up for Weigel Communications. ME TV is excellent, they also show high school basketball, extra college football and basketball games and for someone like me without cable, I am grateful to have the extra 25 White Sox games broadcast. I don't know how much it costs to improve the transmission but they don't have the same capital to play with as Viacom (CBS), General Electric (NBC / Telemundo), etc.

GoSox2K3
03-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Is there any data that compares average ratings of WCIU games to those of Comcast Sports Net? I always suspect that games on Ch. 26 are totally off people's radar screen.

Too bad they can't arrange some sort of quick post-game show on "the U". They go from the final out of the game to immediately switching to some rerun in-progress. Do they really think more people are going to watch a the last 10 minutes of an in-progress rerun vs. game viewers sticking around to hear a game wrapup/scoreboard update?

Dadawg_77
03-31-2006, 05:51 PM

Why does Gopher football matter?

Bobbo35
03-31-2006, 05:58 PM
I NEVER appreciate any games, especially MORE games on WCIU. That is the most god-awful station on the face of the planet.

Ya, that is about as close to public access television as you can get.

Boozer
03-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Yes, I hate games on WCIU because of the picture quality, BUT what is wrong with the Three Stooges? A guy that doesn't like the Stooges is like those guys that dont drink beer & dislike sports.:o:

Thome's Homey
03-31-2006, 05:59 PM
A guy that doesn't like the Stooges is like those guys that dont drink beer & dislike sports.:o:

We call those woMEN. :cool:

0o0o0
03-31-2006, 06:06 PM
1. Why no love for "King Of Queens?" Dare I call it the funniest show on TV?
Don't you dare. :D:
But yeah, any game on "The U" I don't get down at school. :angry: That fire actually appears everytime I miss a game.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-31-2006, 06:16 PM

Lay off Svengoolie pal.

To be fair the dog based marketing scheme does seem quite odd.

StockdaleForVeep
03-31-2006, 07:11 PM

http://myweb.wvnet.edu/e-gor/tvhorrorhosts/grafix/stoogeapalooza7.jpg

And.....

The kicker is having to hear how dogs like "Bowser from South Holland" can't wait to watch those shows. Dogs must be a big part of their ratings

Hey hey, dont be raggin on the stooges

thomas35forever
03-31-2006, 10:50 PM
I remember when The "U" used to have Garfield, Scooby-Doo, and Kids WB (Bugs and Daffy, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Pokemon somewhere along the line). I didn't have cable back in the day, so I watched those shows instead of shows on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney Channel. I did get cable eventually, but that was after most of the above shows were taken off the station. Sorry for that, but I just had to relive part of my childhood. Anyway, The "U" is just okay now.

TDog
03-31-2006, 11:42 PM
We call those woMEN. :cool:

I don't drink beer, haven't seen the stooges since I learned to read and write and ignore American sports that aren't baseball. I figure I've saved myself from some brain damage.

I've never seen Channel 26 either, although when I was a kid I heard others talking about wrestling on Sunday mornings. I do remember the early days of Channel 32, when all they seemed to have was "The Munsters," "Crusader Rabbit," "Screaming Yellow Theater" starring the original Svengoolie, White Sox baseball and "The Honeymooners" immediately after ever night game. Thinking about nights when I was adding up totals in my scorebook with the adventures of Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton raging the background takes me back to a less complicated time.

HotelWhiteSox
04-01-2006, 12:03 AM
King of Queens fan as well (especially Arthur)

http://www.northpine.com/broadcast/captures/il/wciu04092005_promo.jpg

Likrish from Park Ridge loves The Parkers

:ass

We gotta do sumthin bout yo skin color Lik, 2 barks if you want a Honeymooners repeat. Dial it up for favorite dress that Alice wore, they're lightin up like Christmas trees

elrod
04-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Do they show games on MLB.TV via the Internet if they're on WCIU? I assume you just get the visiting team broadcast, right? I'm going to be in central Michigan starting in August so I need to have my viewing arrangements laid out.

Hoffdaddydmb
04-01-2006, 12:40 AM

I couldn't agree more. Thankfully I'm home for good from college now. I was at EIU and I couldn't watch any games on WCIU because we didn't get it.

TornLabrum
04-01-2006, 07:54 AM
I couldn't agree more. Thankfully I'm home for good from college now. I was at EIU and I couldn't watch any games on WCIU because we didn't get it.

Depending on where you are, you might not get it very well even now. Many call it the "snow station."

downstairs
04-01-2006, 08:09 AM

Actually no one other than the four houses right under the WCIU transmitter actually get the channel.

And even they don't get it when the transmitter's 9V battery goes dead.

TornLabrum
04-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Actually no one other than the four houses right under the WCIU transmitter actually get the channel.

And even they don't get it when the transmitter's 9V battery goes dead.

Correction: they use two 1.5-volt "C" batteries.

Mickster
04-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Why does Gopher football matter?

IIRC, they play the saturday games really early in the day (11:10 CST) because they have to clear out the stadium to get ready for the Golden Gophers in an evening game. Fox holds exclusive Saturday afternoon broadcast rights and unless they show games played on Sat. afternoon, no other station can show them.

Fox will not pick up the game because if its early start time so WGN, CSN, etc. can not show them at all.

sageofthesox
04-01-2006, 10:50 AM
I still have an old B&W portable TV from my college days in the early '70's. Using its "rabbit ears" antenna I can pull in channel 26 out in my garage. We've had some great parties with fellow Sox fans whenever the now World Champions are on channel 26.