PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore road trip. Info please.

DumpJerry
03-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Some of my friends and I are road tripping to Baltimore for the Sox series at the end of July. We are having a hard, I mean HARD, time finding hotels near Camden Yards which are affordable or information about public trans if we stay somewhere aways from the park. The Holiday Inn is sold out.

Anyone here know Baltimore and can make recommendations? Thanks!

TheKittle
03-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Some of my friends and I are road tripping to Baltimore for the Sox series at the end of July. We are having a hard, I mean HARD, time finding hotels near Camden Yards which are affordable or information about public trans if we stay somewhere aways from the park. The Holiday Inn is sold out.

Here's a link for public transportation to Camden Yards.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/sports/orioles/or-06k.pdf

Stay in Mt. Washington and take the train to Camden Yards.

http://www.livebaltimore.com/nb/list/mtwash/

http://www.hotels.com/property.jsp?property=50050&js=1&zz=1143775520859

If you could please take a picture of the Memorial Wall, while you're there. Especially the TIME WILL NOT DIM THE GLORY OF THEIR DEEDS

DeadMoney
03-30-2006, 09:39 PM
My family already scheduled a trip for that weekend and all of the hotels in the downtown/inner harbor area are a bit expensive, so finally we just decided on one and are going to pay the price - and by we, I mean my parents. There are probably hotels near the airport or outer city that would be more affordable, but we were there a few years ago and liked to city/harbor area too much to stay outside of it.

SoxFan64
03-30-2006, 11:09 PM
I live in DC and I am travelling up to Baltimore for the weekend series and staying over. My friend is making the hotel arrangements. Let me check with him (we gather in Silver Spring for opening night). I will respond when I know more.

But basically you either pay the price for being downtown or you take mass transit away from the Inner Harbor and get a better price.

Have you tried Hotels.com or other such sites?

Again I will give you more info when I talk with my friend... later

kraut83
03-31-2006, 07:30 AM
I used to live out there & unfortunately, public transit isn't the greatest.

You could look into the White Marsh area, which is on the Northeast side. I know there are reasonable hotels, and they have express busses that run to Camden Yards on gamedays.

I do recommend staying downtown if you can manage. There's a Days Inn down there that's pretty nice and might be reasonable.

thepaulbowski
03-31-2006, 07:49 AM

If you are going to stay dowtown close to the park, you aren't going to find anything good for under $125 a night. I feel it's worth it to pay the money and stay at one of the hotels on the Inner Harbor of Fell's Point.

EastCoastSoxFan
03-31-2006, 08:55 AM
Mrs. EastCoastSoxFan and I will be day-tripping for the Saturday game -- and hopefully my lifetime Camden Yards record will be back at .500 by the drive home...

Randar68
03-31-2006, 12:39 PM
I used to live out there & unfortunately, public transit isn't the greatest.

You could look into the White Marsh area, which is on the Northeast side. I know there are reasonable hotels, and they have express busses that run to Camden Yards on gamedays.

I do recommend staying downtown if you can manage. There's a Days Inn down there that's pretty nice and might be reasonable.

White Marsh? ACK! You might as well stay in DC.

Mt. Washington is a good suggestion and a decent area. You could also stay in Owings Mills (there is a big mall and a few hotels with a bunch of restaurants in the area) and take the train down and walk to the park.

The Metro runs more frequently than the light rail and is a better option if you plan on hanging out in Federal Hill or Inner Harbor area after the games so it would be better to stay along the Metro as opposed to the light rail...

IlliniSox
03-31-2006, 12:46 PM
I already looked into this, there's the National Firefighters Convention as well as two others that weekend. Rough weekend overall.

Hokiesox
03-31-2006, 12:48 PM
If you're nice, I might even be willing to let you sleep at my place. My wife and I aren't very exciting though.

Randar68
03-31-2006, 12:49 PM
I already looked into this, there's the National Firefighters Convention as well as two others that weekend. Rough weekend overall.

Good thing I have a place to stay then, HUH?

We'll have to be sure to meet up (fellow Sox fans attending that series) at some point.

DumpJerry
03-31-2006, 01:20 PM
We'll have to be sure to meet up (fellow Sox fans attending that series) at some point.
Of course! Someone will start a thread in July to see who is going and that is how we'll make the plan.

Thanks to everyone with their tips. I've passed them on to the guy who is making the plans.

woodsdavid
05-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Anyone know of any good bars in Annapolis to watch the Friday night game. Got tix for Saturday day.

Also, anyone been on the Camden Yards tour?

whitesoxwilkes
05-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Anyone know of any good bars in Annapolis to watch the Friday night game. Got tix for Saturday day.

Camden Yards tour is the best 5 bucks you'll ever spend. 2.5 hours and you'll get to see everything, including the clubhouses if you do it early enough in the day.

I'll be out there for sure for that series. Probably going to stay in DC and train it back and forth.

Frankly Missing
05-16-2006, 12:46 PM
The Camden Yard tour is well worth your time, be sure to walk over to the Babe Ruth Museum before or after the tour.

2005gosoxgo
05-16-2006, 04:13 PM
I've been driving down to B-more for the last 9 seasons to see the Sox, Mow i usually use hotwire to book a hotel, they let you know where the location the hotel will be in and shows how many stars and the prices are usually pretty reasonable. I think i got to stay at the hilton for 89 bucks last year.

Cavahoo
05-17-2006, 02:14 PM
I have never missed a SOX game in camden..that said, high downtown prices have driven me out to the Comfort Inn Airport..6921 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd..phone 410-789-9100. Rates are around 100 to 120 per night. Hotel is located right across the street from the light rail which can be easily taken to and from Camden Yards for about 3 bucks round trip...also light rail it from BWI to the hotel....hotel also has a bar and free hot breakfast buffet. Also "Pickles Pub" located directly across from the outfield side of Camden Yards is a nice watering hole pre/post game. Hope this helps...see you in Camden. I am in section 48 row HH seats 1-4 for all 3 games.

anotherDCsoxfan
05-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Really the only way to buy a hotel if price is an issue...
Pick your location and your stars - name your price.
I'm in DC and debating whether to stay over one or both nights.

Pequod
05-18-2006, 07:49 AM
I'll be at the Saturday game with my son and was planning to drive in from northern virginia. I know there are a lot of lots and garages around inner harbor, but have never been to a game at Camden Yards...especially on a weekend...with conventions in town. Any locals have advice on what to expect regarding parking? Maybe heading to inner harbor extra early and taking the boy to the acquarium first would be a good idea?

Hokiesox
05-18-2006, 10:08 AM

Go to a place in Eastport called The Boatyard. All the sailing stuff in Annapolis happens there, and it's a cheap bar (by Annapolis standards), but they usually have a TV or two tuned to the baseball game.

whitesoxwilkes
05-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Also "Pickles Pub" located directly across from the outfield side of Camden Yards is a nice watering hole pre/post game. Hope this helps...see you in Camden. I am in section 48 row HH seats 1-4 for all 3 games.

The Wharf Rat on Pratt is my favorite pre-game spot before a game at the Yards. Great micro selection.

thegooch
05-18-2006, 10:41 AM
You have to try Boog's BBQ out behind right field. Best sandwich ever.

Hokiesox
05-18-2006, 11:31 AM
I go to a place in Federal Hill, called Thirsty Dog Pub. They have this thing called a Wing Dog Pizza which is a pizza with buffalo chicken on it, served with Ranch.

Heart attack on a plate, yes, damn good, yes. They also serve microbrews 2 for 1 on Friday nights (they even have flavors of beer, like Blueberry and Peach for the women out there. My wife highly recommends).

anotherDCsoxfan
05-18-2006, 12:46 PM
The Upper Deck is an...interesting place...to hang out a couple blocks from the park.
The crab cakes are fantastic!

PINWHEELS
05-18-2006, 04:39 PM
I'll Be There with Chisox65 (Fri and Sat Games).:gulp:

SouthSide_HitMen
05-19-2006, 02:45 AM
If you see a female officer (Natalie Preston to be exact), DO NOT ask her for directions.

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/9229472/detail.html#

Couple Arrested For Asking For Directions

BALTIMORE -- Baltimore City police arrested a Virginia couple over the weekend after they asked an officer for directions.

WBAL-TV 11 News I-Team reporter David Collins said Joshua Kelly and Llara Brook, of Chantilly, Va., got lost leaving an Orioles game on Saturday. Collins reported a city officer arrested them for trespassing on a public street while they were asking for directions.

With all the construction and post game traffic, that area is very congested and the signs are for crap. We were able to find the highway but it took 20 minutes sitting in traffic while watching a guy and his girlfriend riding bikes nearly get into a fist fight with the passengers in a car that nearly cut them off.

If you can find somewhere downtown to stay, that may be your best bet.

Pequod
05-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Couple Arrested For Asking For Directions

BALTIMORE -- Baltimore City police arrested a Virginia couple over the weekend after they asked an officer for directions.

WBAL-TV 11 News I-Team reporter David Collins said Joshua Kelly and Llara Brook, of Chantilly, Va., got lost leaving an Orioles game on Saturday. Collins reported a city officer arrested them for trespassing on a public street while they were asking for directions.

Don't think I'm up for the cavity search. :o:

That No. 703 MARC bus from Greenbelt looks like it may be my best bet. Thanks!

Viva Medias B's
05-19-2006, 08:30 AM
I stayed in Baltimore for a Sox series at Camden in 2002. It was a great weekend, even though the Sox dropped two of three. The Inner Harbor area is great, a lot like our Navy Pier or St. Louis' Union Station. Saturday afternoon, I remember having a few beers at the ESPN Zone on the harbor. It was great. Sites to see have already been mentioned including the Babe Ruth Museum. The downtown area beyond the harbor is not the best in the world, however.

kwolf68
05-19-2006, 09:03 AM
I live an hour from Baltimore. This is the only time i'll be :bandance:

mccoydp
05-31-2006, 01:20 PM
My wife got me a ticket for my birthday. She and I will be going to the Friday game, section 30, row ZZ, seats 5-6.

We'll probably stay at a hotel she knows of downtown or, if we run out of luck, with her uncle in Columbia, MD.

I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of fellow WSIers! I'll be in my black Sox jersey (#35).

RowanDye
06-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I started grad school in Virginia this year and this is the latest into the year I've gone without catching a White Sox game in a long time. My dad is flying in from Chicago and we're driving up for the Saturday game. We'll be in Section 50, Row UU with Sox gear on!
We haven't booked a hotel room yet though, so I guess I had better get on that.

woodsdavid
06-26-2006, 12:51 PM
A crabcake anywhere else is just a wannabe. For those of you going to the game,

If in Annapolis:

check out Jimmy Cantler's Riverside Inn: http://www.cantlers.com/In Bawlmore, in Fell's Point, check out:

Bertha's http://www.berthas.com/ get the mussel combo too
John Steven Ltd http://www.johnstevenltd.com/Hope to see you there!

woodsdavid
07-07-2006, 12:18 PM
A crabcake anywhere else is just a wannabe. For those of you going to the game,

If in Annapolis:

check out Jimmy Cantler's Riverside Inn: http://www.cantlers.com/

Anyone from WSI interested in going to Jimmy Cantler's on Friday??

kwolf68
07-07-2006, 01:14 PM
For seafood, I recommend "Philips" in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore. My family and I will be there for at least one of the games.

woodsdavid
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
For those going to the game, a few have chimed in, but where are the rest of you staying in Baltimore. Would like to possibly share cabs/transportation.

We're in a place downtown called Mid Towne Suite on St. Paul and Madison. Good price ~ $110/night. Good location since this is a short cab ride away from most everything and most Inner Harbor Hotels are sold out. TripAdvisor.com showed a decent review too.

socaljeff
07-20-2006, 01:08 PM
I posted a thread earlier today (7/20) regarding two good tickets that I need to unload for the Friday (7/28) Sox game at Camden Yards. I was supposed to make the trip East, but I cannot.

The tickets are in Section 43 (Lower Reserved), Row N, Seats 9 & 10. They are supposed to be pretty decent seats. You can check them out on the Orioles' website.

I paid $25 per ticket ... I am NOT looking to make a profit. I would just like to sell them to a couple diehard Sox fans who are making the trip.

If you are going to the 7/28 game and you do NOT have tickets (or you know someone who would like to have these tickets), please respond ASAP and I will arrange to get the tickets to you as soon as I can.

Thanks, socaljeff