PDA

View Full Version : Cheeses, you'll like this

Jerry_Manuel
01-17-2002, 03:51 PM
From Boston's mail bag:
Q: With what the Chicago Cubs have accomplished this offseason, should we expect them to seriously contend for the NL Central crown and consequently an unprecedented trip through the playoffs to the World Series? -- K-RAJ, Chicago

PWG -- I think there are a lot of variables with the Cubs because of age, but the eventual arrival of young players like Bobby Hill and Corey Patterson can change that. If the bullpen holds up, they could have great pitching, because the rotation could be dominant if Kerry Wood keeps his comeback curve and Juan Cruz is as good as advertised.

I guess that Darren Lewis signing put them over the top. :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
01-17-2002, 04:40 PM
I like how Boston doesn't say exactly WHEN the Flubs will be good, nor how good they'll be. How very Charlie Brown of him.

Is it me, or am I the only one not seeing that the 'Stros and Cardinals didn't get that much worse during the offseason?

Jerry_Manuel
01-17-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I like how Boston doesn't say exactly WHEN the Flubs will be good, nor how good they'll be. How very Charlie Brown of him.

Is it me, or am I the only one not seeing that the 'Stros and Cardinals didn't get that much worse during the offseason?

Smart move on Gammons part, he can't lie like Mariotti can. The Astros lost Castilla and Alou, while the Cards lost Big Mac but gained Tino. I think St. Louis is the team to beat in that division.

RichH55
01-17-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Smart move on Gammons part, he can't lie like Mariotti can. The Astros lost Castilla and Alou, while the Cards lost Big Mac but gained Tino. I think St. Louis is the team to beat in that division.

I think you can argue that the Cardinals had in essence lost Big Mac last season, so Tino is going to be even that much more helpful....I know you aren't a huge Gammons guy, but geez he isn't so awful as to compare him to the moron!

:moron
Hey Peter might not be right about baseball all the time, but can he make asisnine comments on the whole sporting world?

Nothing like combining ego with stupidity

Jerry_Manuel
01-17-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I know you aren't a huge Gammons guy, but geez he isn't so awful as to compare him to the moron!

I wasn't comparing them. Cheeses brought up the point that he never said when they'll be good. Mariotti says they'll be good that year. Then when he's wrong he writes articles saying he knew all along they would suck. Gammons can't lie like that.

RichH55
01-17-2002, 07:48 PM

I wasn't comparing them. Cheeses brought up the point that he never said when they'll be good. Mariotti says they'll be good that year. Then when he's wrong he writes articles saying he knew all along they would suck. Gammons can't lie like that.

Very true...doesn't the moron know his opinions are public domain and its not like an argument in a sports bar so if you change your opinion ex-post facto people can track down your hyprocrisy? Seriously how does this man keep a job? I understand that Howard Stern gets ratings by having people who hate him listen to his show, but if you hate the moron does that make you pick up a copy of the Sun-Times to read his newest crap or does it make you shudder when you think about how your 35 cents contributes to that bombastic a-hole's salary?

Jerry_Manuel
01-17-2002, 07:56 PM
but if you hate the moron does that make you pick up a copy of the Sun-Times to read his newest crap or does it make you shudder when you think about how your 35 cents contributes to that bombastic a-hole's salary?

I read all the papers at my school, so I'm not paying anything. I read his articles depending on what he's writing about.

RichH55
01-17-2002, 08:00 PM

I read all the papers at my school, so I'm not paying anything. I read his articles depending on what he's writing about.

What school is yours Jerry.....I do the same thing, but i can't imagine Jay helps the subscription rate, and he certainly doesnt add any credibility

Jerry_Manuel
01-17-2002, 08:10 PM
What school is yours Jerry...

Lake Park.

Mariotti must have photo's of someone.

RichH55
01-17-2002, 08:12 PM

Lake Park.

Mariotti must have photo's of someone.

Or be someones Nephew.....I wonder if he is on the Royce Clayton ice cream plan