PDA

View Full Version : Customized Jerseys?

SkeetSkeetAmit
03-30-2006, 12:10 PM
I was looking for a Robin Ventura jersey and I haven't been able to find one, so I think the way I have to go is the customized jersey route. I was just wondering the best way to do this. I am a little guy, so a Youth XL will probably fit me best and it's sweet cuz plain jerseys only cost $50.

However, where's the best place to do this?

From Whitesox.com's shop, I can get one customized, but how is the lettering done? Is it how a replica jersey's letters and numbers would be? Or is it worse?

I know some people talked about the Grandstand, how does that work?

I also know people have posted on this before, but I don't know if anyone had gotten a jersey customized off the whitesox.com shop so just looking for some input. Thanks guys.

twsoxfan5
03-30-2006, 03:07 PM
All you have to do is stop in Grandstand pick out the jersey type you want (home, away, alternate) and then tell them what name you want on the back. They have a lot of blank jerseys for adults, but I am not sure about kids. You could probably also get the 1987 jersey if you want.

Nellie_Fox
03-30-2006, 03:49 PM
They cannot put the names of retired ballplayers on the jerseys.

The Players' Assn negotiates a deal to sell the rights to use the players' names, then distributes the money to the players. However, since MLBPA no longer represents the retired guys, there is no one to purchase the rights to use the name from except the individual retired athletes, and that hasn't been done.

I found this out when trying to buy a "FISK" 72 jersey.

Maybe you can try to convince them that your name is Ventura.

C-Dawg
03-30-2006, 04:02 PM
They cannot put the names of retired ballplayers on the jerseys.

Evidently Triple Threat Sports will do any name you choose; check their site and send them an email.

Nellie_Fox
03-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Evidently Triple Threat Sports will do any name you choose; check their site and send them an email.If so, they are opening themselves up to a potential lawsuit for profiting from the name and/or image of a public figure without consent.

When I was trying to get the "FISK 72" jersey, I even took a plain Sox jersey to a shop here in town that does lettering etc., and they would put the 72 on (a number doesn't belong to anyone,) but absolutely would not put Fisk's name on it, and they told me the same reason, that they couldn't do it without obtaining permission from Fisk.

Hangar18
03-30-2006, 06:02 PM
If so, they are opening themselves up to a potential lawsuit for profiting from the name and/or image of a public figure without consent.

When I was trying to get the "FISK 72" jersey, I even took a plain Sox jersey to a shop here in town that does lettering etc., and they would put the 72 on (a number doesn't belong to anyone,) but absolutely would not put Fisk's name on it, and they told me the same reason, that they couldn't do it without obtaining permission from Fisk.

Thats a load of junk. What if your name happened to be Billy Fisk?
are they going to tell you that you cant have a Jersey, you have the same name as a retired player?
they need to change that rule

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2006, 06:23 PM
If so, they are opening themselves up to a potential lawsuit for profiting from the name and/or image of a public figure without consent.

When I was trying to get the "FISK 72" jersey, I even took a plain Sox jersey to a shop here in town that does lettering etc., and they would put the 72 on (a number doesn't belong to anyone,) but absolutely would not put Fisk's name on it, and they told me the same reason, that they couldn't do it without obtaining permission from Fisk.Grandstand sells them. You can get a 1983 jersey with any name and number you want. I'm sure I've seen Ventura jerseys hanging up there.

Inklae (http://www.grandstandsox.com/store/view_product.php?product=WHIILAVD3)

TDog
03-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Thats a load of junk. What if your name happened to be Billy Fisk?
are they going to tell you that you cant have a Jersey, you have the same name as a retired player?
they need to change that rule

I'm not up on the case -- don't know how it turned out -- but I saw a reference to Coor's beer suing a guy named Coor, who owned a tiny soft drink company and was putting his name on the cans. In Hollywood, the actor's union makes you change your name, or stick an initial somewhere in cases where someone else already is using it. Stewart Granger's real name is James Stewart.

Of course, if I had Fisk on my driver's license, I would be putting up a stink if they wouldn't let me put Fisk on my back.