PDA

View Full Version : Brewers unveil ethnic heritage alternate uniforms

Uncle_Patrick
03-30-2006, 11:27 AM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060329&content_id=1366322&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

The Brewers plan to honor African-American and Hispanic heritage with alternate uniforms this year.

Baby Fisk
03-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Interesting stuff. Nice gestures by the Brewers. Are ethnic-based uniforms the next wave of alternates? Anyone want a Medias Blancos jersey? Goodness knows every team out there has its requisite black / blue / red / purple / green alternate jersey already.

areilly
03-30-2006, 11:56 AM
ˇVayan los Cerveceros!

Has a nice ring to it if you ask me. :cool:

Hangar18
03-30-2006, 12:14 PM
the Cervezeros, I like that. This is almost something I would expect the SOX to have come up with regarding latin-american baseball (Weve already done the salute to the Negro-Leagues with the American Giant uniforms)

The Brewers almost get a tip of the cap from me, for almost thinking out of the box

itsnotrequired
03-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Both those jerseys look awesome.

Uncle_Patrick
03-30-2006, 12:21 PM
I like Cerveceros, although I noticed in the article that they said there is a Cerveceros cap night. Seems silly since the Cerveceros cap is the same as the Brewers' regular cap.

Hangar18
03-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Both those jerseys look awesome.

The Brewers are in a very tough tough tough spot marketing wise.
Yes, the Cerveceros uniform is very very cool. The Brewers have for way too long, havnt had a clue as to who they were (bud selig the idiot kept fawning over the braves/national league) and having moved to the NL has cost them a valuable piece of their heritage (worldseries/americanleague)
Looks like they are finally trying.......something.........

First order of business, Carlos Lee is the one legitimate star on that team, hes a 1st time all-star (I called that too by the way, laughed at by others here) and they need to hitch their wagon to him and keep him signed and not let the filthy predator cubs get their hands on him.

Erik The Red
03-30-2006, 12:25 PM
This is pretty much what San Fran has been doing for a couple years now, wearing the "Gigantes" jerseys.

The Critic
03-30-2006, 12:27 PM
I'd buy a Cerveceros jersey in a heartbeat!

Uncle_Patrick
03-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Interesting stuff. Nice gestures by the Brewers. Are ethnic-based uniforms the next wave of alternates?

Probably. How many teams already have the St. Patrick's day uniforms? Considering the popularity of baseball among hispanics, I'm surprised that Milwaukee is the first (or one of the first) to do this.

scottjanssens
03-30-2006, 12:29 PM
I just bought a pair of tix to the game, behind the visitor's dugout, seventh row. It seems odd having seats like that available.

Viva los Cerveceros!

Hangar18
03-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Probably. How many teams already have the St. Patrick's day uniforms? Considering the popularity of baseball among hispanics, I'm surprised that Milwaukee is the first (or one of the first) to do this.

Werent the SOX the first ones to do the Green Jersey/Hats for StPats day in the early 80's? I know Fenway said the RedSox were the first to wear green hats for StPats day. After the WhiteSox, all the copycats of MLB copied correct?

Baby Fisk
03-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Werent the SOX the first ones to do the Green Jersey/Hats for StPats day in the early 80's? I know Fenway said the RedSox were the first to wear green hats for StPats day. After the WhiteSox, all the copycats of MLB copied correct?
Hangar the answer is no. Cincinnati wore green hats and green jerseys back in 1978. They were the first; the Sox have no claim to this tradition. The obsessive-compulsive uniform guy at ESPN verified this.

Realist
03-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Interesting stuff. Nice gestures by the Brewers. Are ethnic-based uniforms the next wave of alternates? Anyone want a Medias Blancos jersey? Goodness knows every team out there has its requisite black / blue / red / purple / green alternate jersey already.
My ultimate dream is to see the Sox play a game wearing maroon velvet vests and opanke.

Minnie Me
03-30-2006, 12:42 PM

A Canadian heritage jersey would really be neat and really cool. I would buy one right away.

Baby Fisk
03-30-2006, 12:45 PM
A Canadian heritage jersey would really be neat and really cool. I would buy one right away.
Break them out for Kirk McCaskell tribute night or something?

Minnie Me
03-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Break them out for Kirk McCaskell tribute night or something?
More along the lines of a Reggie Cleveland nite or the McKenzie brothers dead mouse in a beer bottle nite.

Uncle_Patrick
03-30-2006, 12:55 PM

To offense to our Canadian brothers and sisters, but outside of Toronto, I don't see a Canadian heritage jersey happening anytime soon.

Baby Fisk
03-30-2006, 01:05 PM
More along the lines of a Reggie Cleveland nite or the McKenzie brothers dead mouse in a beer bottle nite.
Reggie Cleveland never played for the White Sox. Nothing you say makes any sense!

Minnie Me
03-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Reggie Cleveland never played for the White Sox. Nothing you say makes any sense!

Referring to a Brewers promotion not a Sox promo. Reggie served with distinction with the Brewers. The Sox would never have anything as lame as a Canadian nite anyway. Take off you hoser.

Baby Fisk
03-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Referring to a Brewers promotion not a Sox promo. Reggie served with distinction with the Brewers. The Sox would never have anything as lame as a Canadian nite anyway. Take off you hoser.
Go eat some poutine and wash it down with a cinquante. You'll feel better.

Uncle_Patrick
03-30-2006, 02:10 PM

:rolleyes:

This trip keeps getting stranger....

itsnotrequired
03-30-2006, 02:21 PM
:rolleyes:

This trip keeps getting stranger....

...and what the heck happened to the Horsemaster? He must have rode off into the sunset when we weren't looking.

Uncle_Patrick
03-30-2006, 02:24 PM
...and what the heck happened to the Horsemaster? He must have rode off into the sunset when we weren't looking.

He laid down some poetry the other day. I miss his insight.:D:

TheOldRoman
03-30-2006, 02:30 PM
First order of business, Carlos Lee is the one legitimate star on that team, hes a 1st time all-star (I called that too by the way, laughed at by others here) and they need to hitch their wagon to him and keep him signed and not let the filthy predator cubs get their hands on him.
Well, I won't debate you that Lee is a legitimate star, but I will say he is a very good player. However, the Brewers are absolutely stacked with young talent. Even they decide not to give Lee a monster contract, they will be fine in 2007. The Brew Crew is a team on the rise; they will be fun to watch over the next several years.

DSpivack
03-30-2006, 07:22 PM

My spanish isn't that great, is it Medias Blancos or Medias Blancas?

DrummerGeorgefan
03-31-2006, 10:50 AM
i'm suprised no one has yet mentioned that on hispanic heritage night the great Teddy Higuera will be appearing. I can bring the 2000 'common cards' I have stockpiled in a shoe box and donate them to him.

Railsplitter
03-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Why not honor the ethinic group that made Milwaukee famous (and gave thier baseballers thier nickname) and have a uniform with Brauern on it?

Medford Bobby
03-31-2006, 11:57 AM
Maybe the Sox can salute Canada by wearing Expos uni's one night and have Tim Raines steal a base...........:o:

PKalltheway
04-01-2006, 02:54 PM
IIRC, don't the Blue Jays wear Canadian jerseys on Canada Day whenever they're at home for Canada day?

JohnBasedowYoda
04-01-2006, 03:26 PM
I see a lot of dudes walking around with jackets that have all the Negro League era logos. Some of them a very cool and creative.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-01-2006, 03:27 PM

I imagined a denim jersey with frayed pockets

Procol Harum
04-03-2006, 12:09 PM
My ultimate dream is to see the Sox play a game wearing maroon velvet vests and opanke.

Que? :?:

Baby Fisk
04-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Que? :?:
It's a Balkan reference. :cool:

buehrle4cy05
04-03-2006, 12:49 PM
My spanish isn't that great, is it Medias Blancos or Medias Blancas?

I just got back from Spanish, it's Medias Blancas. I had to explain to my teacher why I won't be in class tommorow. Voy a el partido de las Medias Blancas manana.

Procol Harum
04-03-2006, 02:24 PM
It's a Balkan reference. :cool:

Gotcha.

In honor of part of my ethnic heritage, I demand tartan uniforms!
:bandance: