PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 3/30/06

Hangar18
03-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Rick Morrissey. Just embarrassed sportswriters everywhere with his not-worth-your-10-minutes-to-read-this-junk piece. "Cubs will win! Why? because the RedSox and White Sox did it!" He speaks for cub fans everywhere with his were-a-bunch-of-4th-graders approach. Mike "Yellow" Kiley, the hardest working cub fan in journalism, seeks out more fluff with a story about a fitness expert. Kiley slickly goes into 3rd person mode when talking about the last "fitness expert" who was in cub camp and casually mentions that he was "highly publicized". HAHAHAHAHA, Hey Kiley you idiot, YOU were the one that did all the publicizing.

Jim Thome deservedly finds himself on the cover of the Tribune. He has hit 6 homers this week. Juan Pierre though, is starting to feel the Glare of the Cub spotlite, as the Tribune is starting to chastise him for his .220 spring
and that in order for the Cubs to be in the World Series, he will have to hit better than that. Nothing like the Chicago Media to play coach and cheer players on

Despite Winning the 2005 World Series, winning their first title since 1917, and being only the 5th team in history to lead wire-to-wire, the SOX inexplicably find themselves lagging behind in Media attention to the 4th place in 2005, Zero 90-win seasons since 1990 Cubs. The Cubs who have enjoyed double and triple the media coverage for the last 2 decades, despite having won Nothing, continue to win in this silent, but important category

Chicago Tribune:
3 cub stories
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
3 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings as of Thursday March 30th, 2006
Priviledged, Media-Owned, Media-Favored, 4th place in 05 Cubs 135
Underdog, Media Ignored, Media Maligned, WS Champs in 05 SOX 132

SOecks
03-30-2006, 09:26 AM
I can't seem to find the Morrissey article online. Maybe it will take awhile to post it or something.\

Edit: Nevermind I just found it on his weblog. What a pud.

Uncle_Patrick
03-30-2006, 09:39 AM
I just read the Morrissey piece. I don't think there's even a point in complaining. Its just pointless drivel. Seriously, I know several true blue diehard Cubs fans, and none of them feel particularly good about this season. Morrissey doesn't even have a reason to feel good about it, himself. Thanks for letting us know, Rick!

By the way, it should be noted that in his column today, Mike Downey predicted that the Cubs will finish last this season.

Hangar18
03-30-2006, 09:40 AM
"Anybody can get scrutiny in Chicago. You havnt won in so long, everybody....gets looked at" -Juan Pierre
Memo to Pierre:
The SOX won the World Series in 2005, just 5 months ago.

SOecks
03-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Yeah, the Downey piece was actually one of the only quality pieces of writing I have ever read from him. Not just because he picked the Cubs for last place. I just wish he'd stop trying to be funny with that whole Downey's Eleven crap.

SOXPHILE
03-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Downey's column was a bit of a surprise today. The stuff that usually tinkles from his word processor is pollyanna, golly gee whiz rah rah stuff. I'm shocked he wasn't the one saying the Cubs should win it all because the White Sox & Red Sox have the last 2 years, and that's how baseball works. I'm not sure why Rick Morrisey even wrote this column. He's the one saying the Cubs will win since it's their turn, then keeps coming back to how he should have his head examined, and he's not sure why he's saying it. Rick, if you don't have any ideas for a column, or don't feel like writing that day, go ahead and take the day off. I promise, nobody will miss you.

tebman
03-30-2006, 10:03 AM
I just read the Morrissey piece. I don't think there's even a point in complaining. Its just pointless drivel. Seriously, I know several true blue diehard Cubs fans, and none of them feel particularly good about this season. Morrissey doesn't even have a reason to feel good about it, himself. Thanks for letting us know, Rick!
We shouldn't waste energy getting worked up over Morrissey. He's trying to be the Tribune's equivalent of Mariotti: write something provocative and wait for an emotional response.

He's trying to sell papers, and he does that by getting people to talk about him. Let it go.

Hangar's Sox vs. Cubs article count is a much bigger indictment of media bias than the clumsy spitballs of guys like Morrissey.

Hangar18
03-30-2006, 10:09 AM
I just read the Morrissey piece. I don't think there's even a point in complaining. Its just pointless drivel.

Can you imagine if your his editor.
Editor: "hey Cubby, you done with your piece yet?"
CubMorrissey: "yeah, I had it on a napkin somewhere .....oh, here it is!"
Editor: "yechhhhh, theres mustard on it!"
CubMorrissey: "sorry bout that"
Editor: "Thats all youve got?
CubMorrissey: "ummmm ............well hey, its pro-cubs wouldnt you say"
Editor: "Fine Job, we'll call it blog-related"

Uncle_Patrick
03-30-2006, 10:24 AM
We shouldn't waste energy getting worked up over Morrissey. He's trying to be the Tribune's equivalent of Mariotti: write something provocative and wait for an emotional response.

With the piece today, it looks like Morrissey is trying more to be the Tribune's equivalent of Carol Slezak than Jay Marriotti (who happened to bash the Cubs today in his article).

thegooch
03-30-2006, 12:50 PM
I attempted to post in the comments section of his "Wake Up, Stupid", along the lines of: It is not surprising considering you work for the tribune. But, it never got posted. Typical Cubune.

PatK
03-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Seeing as how their "star" pitchers are injured yet again, the last person deserving an article is the Cubs strength and conditioning coach.

PaulDrake
03-30-2006, 01:18 PM
I attempted to post in the comments section of his "Wake Up, Stupid", along the lines of: It is not surprising considering you work for the tribune. But, it never got posted. Typical Cubune. Check again. There's a short post there that says just that.

TommyJohn
03-30-2006, 01:24 PM
I attempted to post in the comments section of his "Wake Up, Stupid", along the lines of: It is not surprising considering you work for the tribune. But, it never got posted. Typical Cubune.

It doesn't get posted right away. They filter it for stuff like abusive language,
threats and other potentially vile things.