PDA

View Full Version : Organizational Review by Minorleaguebaseball.com

rdivaldi
03-30-2006, 10:09 AM
One of the best articles (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060329&content_id=51018&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp) I've read this year on the youngsters.

Some highlights:

Organizational MVP: Josh Fields
Organizational Cy Young: Ray Liotta
Breakout candidates: Rob Vallido & Dan Cortes
Cinderealla Story: Chris Carter

California Sox
03-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Good article. They seem excited by Carter, who I saw in the spring and, while he's big, he's nowhere near as big as Frank was. Kanny should be exciting this year with Carter, Hernandez, Allen et al.

Hey, Anderson Gomes sighting in the game today. Anyone see him? How does he look?

A. Cavatica
03-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Good article. Carter and Cortes weren't on my radar screen yet...I'll follow them with interest now.

Hagan
03-30-2006, 09:39 PM
I really liked the article as well. I am glad they mentioned Carter in this because I saw him at spring training and he looked good. I think he could possible be the steal of his draft class. We will see if Rob Roid Vallido is the break out candidate of the year this year. I dont agree with that prediction but we will see!

Randar68
03-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Rob Roid Vallido

:rolleyes:

I thought last year was Valido's breakout year?

A Gold Glove quality SS hitting in the .290-.300 range and stealing 40-50 bags in AA would be a great year for him this year, and I don't know if that constitutes a breakout year, but it's one that has him on the fast-track to the majors in the 2007-2008 timeframe.

Hell, if he hits over about .260 in the majors it's gravy with his defense...

Frater Perdurabo
03-31-2006, 04:54 PM
A Gold Glove quality SS hitting in the .290-.300 range and stealing 40-50 bags in AA would be a great year for him this year, and I don't know if that constitutes a breakout year, but it's one that has him on the fast-track to the majors in the 2007-2008 timeframe.

Barring injury, etc, do you think Valido will be the starting SS for the Sox in 2008, or do you think he'll be used as trade bait?

Randar68
03-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Barring injury, etc, do you think Valido will be the starting SS for the Sox in 2008, or do you think he'll be used as trade bait?

Organization from top down thinks the world of the kid. If we've learned anything it's that nobody is untouchable as long as Kenny is the GM.

However, Sox haven't had a homegrown SS in what, 30 years?

If Valido can hit .260 (I think that's just about a mortal lock) he will make it in this league as an everyday player.

I think he'll be better than that and it's not like Uribe is an All-Star. I think it's more likely he replaces Uribe when his contract expires after the 2007 season. I think the timing will be perfect if Valido isn't ready earlier...

Hagan
03-31-2006, 08:56 PM
:rolleyes:

I thought last year was Valido's breakout year?

last year was validos break out year in my opinion. we just have to see if the roids were giving him that extra edge to have the hitting year he did. if he does what you predicted it would not be a break out year for him. I think Sweeney looked really good at spring training and will have the break out year we are all hoping for.

KRS1
03-31-2006, 09:13 PM
we just have to see if the roids were giving him that extra edge to have the hitting year he did.

There is no proof that what he did was steroids, so lay off that talk. He tested positive for an unnamed banned substance, which could be many things(including"the roids"), but he has said publicly that it was a substance found in an over the counter supplement he was using for a while. I understand that anyone would lie to protect their reputation, but I choose to believe what he said. Whether or not you agree with that is your opinion, but there are no facts behind what you said. His stats in SB's and Hr's did take a jump last year, but he hit 6 deep balls in 215 Bristol AB's just two years before as an 18 year old so it could very well be him readjusting things as he matures.

Randar68
04-02-2006, 11:46 PM
last year was validos break out year in my opinion. we just have to see if the roids were giving him that extra edge to have the hitting year he did.

Having met the kid a couple of times and having talked with him, I'm going to base my opinion off of what happenned on the kid's words because he is one of the best "people" in the game. Nicest kid you'll meet, articulate, grounded, and just a good kid from a good family who I am sure was terribly embarassed by this and learned his lesson.

He is actually bigger and strnger this spring than he was last year when you are supposing he was on 'roids based on testing positive for a banned substance (which could be one of 1000 things found in anything you can buy at GNC).

He showed the team what he had been taking and it was over-the-counter and did contain a banned substance that he did not know about.

End of story and get the **** over it already.

California Sox
04-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Valido did look bigger in the spring.

Man, does he look good in the field. Just poised and confident. If he hits he could be a good one.