Chad Cordero, WAS
Billy Wagner, NYM
Eric Gagne, LAD

Our last category will be up on Friday.

(March 31 - 6:05pm MST April 2): Best Starting Pitcher

chisoxfanatic
03-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Brad Lidge! :yup:

Well, that pertains to my FAVORITE closer, for the record.

samram
03-29-2006, 09:10 PM
I had no trouble with the first two, but after that it's rough:

1. Rivera
2. Gagne
3. Wagner
4. K-Rod
5. Lidge

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2006, 09:12 PM
1. Rivera
2. Lidge
3. Wagner
4. K-Rod
5. Gagne

ChiSoxRowand
03-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Rivera

HomeFish
03-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Mariano Rivera.

Every once in a while, there's a guy or two who are better than Rivera for a season or two; Gange, Rob Nen, Billy Wagner, now Brad Lidge, but then they fade away and Mariano Rivera is still standing.

fquaye149
03-29-2006, 10:17 PM
I feel as if Gagne and Rivera are right up at the top. Gagne doesn't have the postseason success and had a disappointing season

nevertheless...he was as consistent as Rivera when he was healthy. I would take him this year over just about anyone.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-29-2006, 11:42 PM
K Rod
Rivera
Nathan

NardiWasHere
03-30-2006, 12:20 AM
I don't want to make any accusations or anything and I know that just by saying this, it might sound as though I am in fact doing so, however....

Does anyone feel like in this sad era where people will be suspected of juicing, Gagne's past few years might raise some eyebrows... I don't know of any proof, and I'm not implying anything, yet one would HAVE to assume that closers were a large portion of the steroid population in baseball. The ability to throw hard/recover quickly makes the position one that I suspect. When I hear a guy like Gagne has lost some velocity and has had recent elbow trouble, my mind reluctantly wanders.

Wow... I feel dirty even bringing this up... What a shame that the state of MLB would spur me (and I assume others) to think like this...

Disclaimer: I'm not accusing Gagne of anything, more of just a question about the position in general... Don't take this the wrong way.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-30-2006, 01:16 AM
I don't want to make any accusations or anything and I know that just by saying this, it might sound as though I am in fact doing so, however....

Does anyone feel like in this sad era where people will be suspected of juicing, Gagne's past few years might raise some eyebrows... I don't know of any proof, and I'm not implying anything, yet one would HAVE to assume that closers were a large portion of the steroid population in baseball. The ability to throw hard/recover quickly makes the position one that I suspect. When I hear a guy like Gagne has lost some velocity and has had recent elbow trouble, my mind reluctantly wanders.

Wow... I feel dirty even bringing this up... What a shame that the state of MLB would spur me (and I assume others) to think like this...

Disclaimer: I'm not accusing Gagne of anything, more of just a question about the position in general... Don't take this the wrong way.

When you feel dirty about something, it is probably a bad idea.

Do you think Koch or Wood or Sirotka or any other pitcher that has broken down over the years took steroids? Probably not.

I would assume some pitchers took steroids over the years but I doubt any of us could accurately pinpoint which ones as we could with several hitters.

illini81887
03-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Rivera hands down

palehozenychicty
03-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Rivera hands down. The only way you have a chance against him is if the game is tied, like the Sox did in beating him last summer. Otherwise, forget it.

DaleJRFan
03-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Mariano Rivera. Everyone else is secondary.

areilly
03-30-2006, 10:58 AM
I would assume some pitchers took steroids over the years but I doubt any of us could accurately pinpoint which ones as we could with several hitters.

OT: I've always been suspicious of both Gagne and Kevin Brown as far as pitchers go. The sudden spike in velocity followed by the string of unlikely and extreme injuries...I'm not saying I know anything or have any facts to back me up. Just suspicious, that's all.

SOXPHILE
03-30-2006, 11:06 AM

You're not the only one to think this. Alot of other people have had the same thoughts about him. Especially with his injuries, his loss in velocity, and his apparent weight loss as well. There's quite a few other guys I have suspicions about too, but I don't want to just blindly throw names around. One interesting thing I saw last year at the start of the season was some pictures that surfaced of players like Bagwell, I-Rod on Detroit, and some others, that compared how they looked the year before to how they looked now.

soxfan26
03-30-2006, 11:40 AM
I don't want to just blindly throw names around. One interesting thing I saw last year at the start of the season was some pictures that surfaced of players like Bagwell, I-Rod on Detroit, and some others, that compared how they looked the year before to how they looked now.

Good thing you're not just blindly throwing names around. :rolleyes:

asindc
03-30-2006, 04:30 PM
I'll stick to the AL:

Rivera
Nathan
Rodriguez

and everyone else a significant distance behind.

beckett21
03-30-2006, 09:20 PM
No love for Huston Street here? He may not be the best yet, but he belongs in the discussion anyway.

Top 6 I'd say are:

Rivera

Wagner
Lidge
K-Rod
Street
Nathan

I think you could mix and match the next 5 after Rivera in just about any order. Gagne jumps in at #2 if he comes back healthy.

JMO