PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody here hate Jim Edmonds???

hillbilly
03-29-2006, 05:49 PM
I don't know why this is coming up at this point in time. But honestly, I hate Jim Edmonds. I don't think he deserves all of the credit he does for being a great CF or a great hitter for that matter. He is average at best at both aspects of the game. Yes, he does make some highlight reel catches, but a lot of the balls he catches most MLB CF would be camped under. He is able to climb the wall better than most which I will give him credit for. Also, while it looks like he puts up big numbers, he does so having the best hitter in the game in the lineup, Pujols, with him as well as one of the better lead off men, Eckstein. Even with all that said, most of his numbers come when the game has pretty much been decided. Anybody else feel this way about him??

MUsoxfan
03-29-2006, 06:16 PM
I don't mind him

TDog
03-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Certainly I would hate him if he played for the Cubs or A's. I would probably hate him if he played for th Twinks or Tribe.

Deebs14
03-29-2006, 06:59 PM
I've never had a problem with him.

HotelWhiteSox
03-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Nope, but I might for 3 games this year. Something about the uppercut swing, but I like watching him hit. Sure it helps to have McGwire and then Pujols in the lineup, but still not easy to put up, what, .300 20-40 HR seasons? As for his defense, I don't watch him that much, but I'm guessing it's like what people say about Aaron, looks flashy becasue he misreads the ball at first so has to make up for it?

chaerulez
03-29-2006, 07:11 PM
I don't like him but he's a good player. Although a lot of people say that he plays more shallow than he should so he can set himself up to make great catches.

daveeym
03-29-2006, 07:19 PM
I don't like him but he's a good player. Although a lot of people say that he plays more shallow than he should so he can set himself up to make great catches. I don't watch enough of him to really have an opinion but if that's the case they're nuts. That's the sign of a great fielding outfielder. Too many outfielders play deep and cover less ground because they can't go back on balls.

fusillirob1983
03-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Eckstein has only been on the Cardinals for a year, so I don't think it's as relevant as you're making it seem, but I can see the Pujols thing. Either way, he's a good player. One of my friends met him at a wedding once, said he's a nice guy.

PennStater98r
03-29-2006, 07:30 PM
with him as well as one of the better lead off men, Eckstein.

What? I think you're just, plain wrong here dude. Last year's splits for Eckstein were .294/.363/.395, and those are his best numbers of his career. I'd say he a decent lead off hitter, but he only steals around 15 bags a year. Eckstein is an example of over rated if I ever saw one.

Edmonds on the other hand - has a 162 game average splits of .291/.384/.543. He's averaged 34 homers with 102 RBI. He always draws a good amount of walks and plays great D. I remember him scaling the wall and pulling one that Frank hit back in in 1999, and was just sat there gape-jawed as he had just come back from an injury.

If the guy stays in the league for another 5-6 healthy years and averages 20 HR and 80 RBI over that time, he'll end his career with 450 HR and 1400 RBI. I'd call that a HoF career, and I would say he's oft injured due to how hard he plays the field not because he enjoys riding the bench and getting paid.

I just don't agree with this one at all. I would have loved to have a 27-31 year old Edmonds playing CF for the Sox from 1997 to 2001.

SoxFan76
03-29-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't understand this thread.

He's a solid player. He isn't overhyped at all, yet you hate him because people think he's really good? That's a weird reason to hate a guy.

Chisox003
03-29-2006, 07:37 PM

He's a solid player. He isn't overhyped at all, yet you hate him because people think he's really good? That's a weird reason to hate a guy.
This thread = :rolleyes:

soxfanatlanta
03-29-2006, 08:12 PM
I don't think he deserves all of the credit he does for being a great CF...

I disagree, six gold gloves means that he's not to shabby at the position. Sure you might take the gold glove award as a bit of a popularity contest, but 6? C'mon, man.

He ain't a Griffey Jr, but I'd have no problem with him being on the Sox.

churlish
03-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Edmonds is a guy that is hard not to like. He looks like Rowand in the field. However, judging by last year, his numbers are going to decline. His upper cut swing already leads to a lot of K's. As he ages, his bat speed will slow and make his upper cut swing that much harder to catch up to fastballs. It is my opinion (I watch a decent amount of Cards' games) that he will hit around .250 this year with 25 homers or so, whic is not the mark of a great player.

johnny bench
03-29-2006, 08:40 PM
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

PaulDrake
03-29-2006, 08:43 PM
I think Edmonds is one of the best fielding center fielders in my lifetime. I've learned however that there is nothing even close to a consensus here or anywhere else for that matter in evaluating a players fielding prowess.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-29-2006, 09:11 PM
The only people I really hate in baseball are Barry Bonds, the Astros manager, and Zambrano.

SOXintheBURGH
03-30-2006, 01:34 AM
He's my favorite player on the Cardinals after Izzy. I dig Edmonds a lot.

palehozenychicty
03-30-2006, 10:04 AM
He's a solid but declining player. His style is reflective of Rowand with all the highlight reel grabs, but he plays hard. I'd put him on the team in 1997-2001 and not complain at all.

tick53
03-30-2006, 02:04 PM
As long as he does damage against the Cubs he OK in my book.:smile:

soxinem1
03-31-2006, 12:25 PM
He's a solid but declining player. His style is reflective of Rowand with all the highlight reel grabs, but he plays hard. I'd put him on the team in 1997-2001 and not complain at all.

If anything he's underated because he doesn't get in front of the cameras like Jeter, A Rod, and others. He just goes about his business. Why would anyone say he plays shallow so he can make the plays look harder? He plays shallow so he can snare flairs over the INF. The pitchers he plays behind all laud him.

Regarding lat year, he had some aches and paines (as usual) and still put up far better numbers than most CF. I'll take his numbers from last year, and I'm sure Brian Anderson would too!

And I'll take him over Griffey is CF, especially over the past five seasons. Griff has slowed down a lot, Edmonds can still cover the ground.

WSox8404
03-31-2006, 08:08 PM
To be completely honest with you he is my favorite player outside of anyone on the Sox. I have always liked the way he played the game.

Corlose 15
03-31-2006, 09:37 PM
I like Jim Edmonds as well. He seems like the complete player who plays the game hard. Gotta like that. I also like Pujols because from what I've seen he's a really nice guy. The Cardinals are probably my second favorite team far behind the Sox of course but if the Sox ceased to exist, I'd probably be a Cardinals fan.

elrod
04-01-2006, 01:27 AM

Just another reason why we NEED this season to start.

Hoffdaddydmb
04-01-2006, 01:30 AM
All my cubs fan friends hate him aka I love him! I think he's pretty underrated and just goes out there and does his job instead of basking in the limelight like a lot of other major leaguers.

Mohoney
04-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Eckstein is an example of over rated if I ever saw one.

In Eckstein's defense, he strikes out less than 50 times a year. His strong suit is that he makes contact and he's a tough out. Plus, he plays a good SS.

Give me the Aaron Rowands and the David Ecksteins of the world any day.

jehosaphat
04-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Just another reason why we NEED this season to start.

Sort of a strange player to hate. Why Edmonds? Why not hate Chipper Jones instead? It seems that Jones should be able to get the old juices boiling as well as Edmonds. I mean, what kind of name is Chipper? The name alone ....... Sheesh!

Since this thread truly deserves to be hijacked, let's talk Cardinal baseball. Seems to me the Cardinals are becoming the Braves of the 1990s - great team during the season, and then a post-season fold. Yep, if the Cards don't do it this year, they'll be on their way to becoming the Braves of the 1990s, that is, unless the Braves continue to fold in the postseason and they become the Braves of the 1990s.

Meanwhile, I'm just going to settle in for the evening, and spend my time loathing Chipper Jones. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ..... Man, that guy really pisses me off!

When is the first pitch?

SOXintheBURGH
04-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Sort of a strange player to hate. Why Edmonds? Why not hate Chipper Jones instead? It seems that Jones should be able to get the old juices boiling as well as Edmonds. I mean, what kind of name is Chipper? The name alone ....... Sheesh!

Since this thread truly deserves to be hijacked, let's talk Cardinal baseball. Seems to me the Cardinals are becoming the Braves of the 1990s - great team during the season, and then a post-season fold. Yep, if the Cards don't do it this year, they'll be on their way to becoming the Braves of the 1990s, that is, unless the Braves continue to fold in the postseason and they become the Braves of the 1990s.

Meanwhile, I'm just going to settle in for the evening, and spend my time loathing Chipper Jones. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ..... Man, that guy really pisses me off!

When is the first pitch?

His real name is Larry. I like Chipper too, he's been a stud for the Braves for years.

jehosaphat
04-02-2006, 05:35 PM
His real name is Larry. I like Chipper too, he's been a stud for the Braves for years.

Geez - Now that I know his real name is Larry, I can no longer hate him. I mean, you just can't hate a guy name Larry, can ya?. Thanks for spoiling all my fun.:angry:

1951Campbell
04-02-2006, 05:42 PM
I haven't really disliked a guy since Paul O'Neill. And Bonds, but that's a gimme.

buehrle4cy05
04-02-2006, 06:42 PM
I've never had a problem with Edmonds, and I don't expect to.

SABRSox
04-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Jim Edmonds ran over my dog.

Seriously, I don't get the point of threads like these...

obinder26
04-03-2006, 11:49 AM
only problem i have with edmonds is that he is extremely overrated as a center fielder. yeah, he makes amazing catches, but i've kids in little league get better jumps on balls. He looks like he is tracking the ball via sonar.. he takes the most ridiculous lines to balls. but no, i dont hate him

RichFitztightly
04-03-2006, 01:49 PM
I agree Edmonds is overated. I've seen him on more than one occasion slow down on a ball hit to center so he could dive for it. The one thing that put me over the edge in my dislike for him is when Fox put up a stat that while his average was .270 he was hitting .200 with runners in scoring position, while Tino Martinez was hitting .270 but .375 with runners in scoring position. (It was something to that effect, I forget the actual numbers, but it's a good approximation.) That showed me he was not a guy you wanted up at the plate with a chance to drive in runs.

All that being said, he does make some outstanding plays. My dislike is amplified by the Sportscenter mentality of a lot of fans who will see a few highlights and come to the conclusion that he's an awesome player. I probably wouldn't dislike him as much if most people would call it like it is. He's an above average fielder who can make some spectacular plays, but has a tendency to ham it up for the cameras while being a very good mistake pitch hitter. He's not a Hall of Famer.

MM2112
04-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Edmonds has one of those sweet swings that I find awesome to watch. Reminds me of Will Clark. Plus he's an awesome CFer

I dont mind a bit of hot-dogging either, a slow trot or a bat toss is cool with me every once in while

I'll never forget the incident he created with Zambrano after he watched that ball enter the apartments across from Wrigley....man, he pisses ALL over that pitch!

hillbilly
04-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Edmonds has one of those sweet swings that I find awesome to watch. Reminds me of Will Clark. Plus he's an awesome CFer

I dont mind a bit of hot-dogging either, a slow trot or a bat toss is cool with me every once in while

I'll never forget the incident he created with Zambrano after he watched that ball enter the apartments across from Wrigley....man, he pisses ALL over that pitch!

No offense, but I think his swing is one of the worst fundamentally flawed swings in all of baseball.

thomas35forever
04-03-2006, 06:11 PM
He might be the best defensive centerfielder in baseball. If he keeps this up, he should be a first-ballot HOFer.

doublem23
04-03-2006, 06:34 PM
No offense, but I think his swing is one of the worst fundamentally flawed swings in all of baseball.

A .290 career hitter over 13 seasons? I'll take that kind of flaw.

Fundamentals aren't for everybody.
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/04/52/14/image_1514524.jpg

Oh, and I watch a lot of Cardinal games now that I'm down here in Peoria, and I can say that Edmonds is not an overrated OF and only makes highlight reel catches on balls that wouldn't get caught by 20-25 other CFs in baseball.

TomBradley72
04-03-2006, 08:52 PM
If he keeps this up, he should be a first-ballot HOFer.

Teal?

He's good...but 1st ballot HOFer? Its debatable whether or not he's an "any ballot" Hall of Famer.

RichFitztightly
04-03-2006, 10:34 PM
A .290 career hitter over 13 seasons? I'll take that kind of flaw.

Fundamentals aren't for everybody.
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/04/52/14/image_1514524.jpg

Oh, and I watch a lot of Cardinal games now that I'm down here in Peoria, and I can say that Edmonds is not an overrated OF and only makes highlight reel catches on balls that wouldn't get caught by 20-25 other CFs in baseball.

Bagwell's fundamentals are quite sound. His setup is unorthodox, but from the point he steps back into his loaded position until he finishes his swing, he's as fundamentally sound as anybody. What his stance does is keep him from lunging out at the ball and hitting off his front foot. His stance keeps his head from moving about and moving up and down. Basically, he steps back to the point most hitters stride to and uses his hips and back leg to drive the ball.

Edmonds on the other hand has a tendency to pull out of his swing, anything middle-in is in his wheel house. Any pitcher who moves around the plate and makes his pitch will have success against him. Of course, if he guesses right or the pitcher makes a mistake, Edmonds is a very good mistake ball hitter.

whitesoxwin
04-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Hey, anybody that is hated by the "Flubs" and especially as "Flub " fans REALLY HATE Jim Edmonds, Jimmy Boy is on my "buddy list".
One thing:
THIS IS A REAL DUMB THREAD!

Deuce
04-06-2006, 03:26 PM
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.:thumbsup:

Horrible foreign relations philosophy. Perfect baseball philosophy!

MVP
04-06-2006, 03:33 PM
I like him. He kills the Cubs. The only time I'll hate him is if he's playing against the Sox.