PDA

View Full Version : Optimism

pearso66
01-17-2002, 10:25 AM
i was wondering if i shoudl be optimistic about our chances this year. I mean back in 2000 i remember saying that "this year the sox wont get too far, they are too young, but next year, next year will be our year" and then the sox go out and blow away the competition to get into the playoffs, and then last year, well they sucked, at least at the beginning of the season. but with all that said, im kinda worried, what if the injured players dont come back to full strength, as they were in 2000, what if they do. should i think that this team is anythign more special than last years team?

Soxboyrob
01-17-2002, 11:54 AM
You should be optimistic about our chances to win the division. Other than that, I wouldn't be holding my breath. This team has done absolutely nothing to better itself in comparison to the Yankees or Mariners. They got closer to the A's by default. I'd just like to see us win a home postseason game for one time in my life....something not done since 1959.

nut_stock
01-17-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
should i think that this team is anythign more special than last years team?

Yes!

longshot7
01-17-2002, 01:23 PM
as any kind of Chicago fan, it's hard to be optimistic, considering our history. So don't be optimistic - just be surprised if they do good, that way you won't be disappointed like I was last year.

duke of dorwood
01-17-2002, 01:39 PM
Not sure about getting closer to the A's. They lost a lumbering ox, got a closer, and have Dye all year. But at least our division is a possibility.

bjmarte
01-17-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
as any kind of Chicago fan, it's hard to be optimistic, considering our history. So don't be optimistic - just be surprised if they do good, that way you won't be disappointed like I was last year.

I know what you mean. I started off the season keeping track of the Sox' record on the whiteboard right behind me at work planning on using it as a gloating tool. Needless to say it wasn't very far into the season when I decided to take it down :(:

RichH55
01-17-2002, 03:13 PM
I'm still rather confident in this year...I think we can win the division and then it all comes down to matchups...however i don't think this is our year and I think we will continue to improve, so I am hopeful for the future...something I didn't think in the Navarro years

PaleHoseGeorge
01-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Top Ten Reasons for Sox Fans to be Optimistic...

10. Cleveland is moving backwards.
9. The Twins aren't a team as much as they are individuals trying to put up personal numbers before the dispersal draft.
8. Kansas City and Detroit still haven't a clue.
7. Our guys can't stay hurt a second year in a row, can they? (please, please, please)
6. Frank is back! (He is coming back, right?)
4. "Meet the Parents" has been banned from the clubhouse.
4. Jerry Manuel has learned his lesson.
3. Kenny Williams has learned his lesson.
2. Jerry Reinsdorf has learned his lesson.

And the #1 reason to be optimistic...

1. We've been waiting 84 years. Where the hell else are you going to go?

:cool:

bjmarte
01-17-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

10. Cleveland is moving backwards.
9. The Twins aren't a team as much as they are individuals trying to put up personal numbers before the dispersal draft.
8. Kansas City and Detroit still haven't a clue.
7. Our guys can't stay hurt a second year in a row, can they? (please, please, please)
6. Frank is back! (He is coming back, right?)
4. "Meet the Parents" has been banned from the clubhouse.
4. Jerry Manuel has learned his lesson.
3. Kenny Williams has learned his lesson.
2. Jerry Reinsdorf has learned his lesson.

You started to lose me with #3, then I got to #2 and blew the whole thing to hell. Other than those two though I'm with you.

RichH55
01-17-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Still with the Sox and my other team the Blackhawks...if the law of averages ever catches up to them and they do win before I die...can you think of anything sweeter? I mean if you are a Yankees fan winning is sort of a relief/expectation than something to be savored like vintage wine