PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland signs Sizemore to $23 million extension

munchman33
03-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Six years. Includes an option for 8.5 million in the seventh year. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2388456)

I don't where this is going.

shaunburnette
03-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Good deal for the Tribe. 6 more years till Sizemore is playing for the Yankees.

JUribe1989
03-29-2006, 12:03 PM
He was one of the biggest, if not the biggest, reason that the Indians were able to come back so far last year. He is the perfect mix of a solid fielder, good bat with good power, and a minor stolen base threat. This is a solid move for the Indians.

Madvora
03-29-2006, 12:11 PM
He was one of the biggest, if not the biggest, reason that the Indians were able to come back so far last year. He is the perfect mix of a solid fielder, good bat with good power, and a minor stolen base threat. This is a solid move for the Indians.
However he was the one who dropped that ball in late September.
The only reason the Sox won the division.

veeter
03-29-2006, 12:29 PM
I look for Anderson to match this guy step for step. He's good, but so is our guy.

munchman33
03-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Martinez last year, Pherralta and Sizemore this year....I just don't like how Cleveland is locking up their good young players so long term. That's exactly what the did before they made their last run to dominance in the central.

But whatever. We've got our core locked up for a while too.

munchman33
03-29-2006, 12:31 PM
I look for Anderson to match this guy step for step. He's good, but so is our guy.

Haha....you shouldn't expect those kind of numbers from Anderson in his rookie year, that's asking a ton.

samram
03-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Haha....you shouldn't expect those kind of numbers from Anderson in his rookie year, that's asking a ton.

Yeah, if Anderson hits 25 HRs and drives in 90 like Sizemore will do, the Sox might win 110.

TaylorStSox
03-29-2006, 12:33 PM

Umm... not so much. If you expect Anderson to be Sizemore, you're going to be dissapointed. I expect Anderson to be as good as Rowand. Rowand couldn't hold Sizemore's... anything.

veeter
03-29-2006, 12:39 PM
I'll say this, Sizemore is not better defensively. Of course his offense is ahead of Brian's, but let's wait and see. Brian really showed me a lot this spring. I do know that Anderson we'll have us forgetting all about Aaron.

TaylorStSox
03-29-2006, 12:43 PM
I'll say this, Sizemore is not better defensively. Of course his offense is ahead of Brian's, but let's wait and see. Brian really showed me a lot this spring. I do know that Anderson we'll have us forgetting all about Aaron.
Sizemore's got better tools across the board with the exception of his arm. Couple that with his upside and last year's production and you have yourself a future star.

veeter
03-29-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm not a proponent of "tool" talk, simply because there have been thousands of flops that have had great tools. Corey Patterson being the latest casualty. I know Sizemore is excellent and probably will be a star. Plus, he might have the best baseball name in the bigs. But, I just have this feeling about Anderson. He can hit, for avg. and power. He runs deceptively well. He's smooth as silk on flyballs and has a cannon. I think he also posseses some intangibles: desire, competitiveness and heart. Yes, he'll struggle just as Sizemore REALLY did in his first stint. But he'll catch on quickly and be huge for the Sox, IMO.

TaylorStSox
03-29-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm not a proponent of "tool" talk, simply because there have been thousands of flops that have had great tools. Corey Patterson being the latest casualty. I know Sizemore is excellent and probably will be a star. Plus, he might have the best baseball name in the bigs. But, I just have this feeling about Anderson. He can hit, for avg. and power. He runs deceptively well. He's smooth as silk on flyballs and has a cannon. I think he also posseses some intangibles: desire, competitiveness and heart. Yes, he'll struggle just as Sizemore REALLY did in his first stint. But he'll catch on quickly and be huge for the Sox, IMO.

It's not like he hasn't produced at the major league level. The guy's already shown that his tools translate. IMO, Anderson's upside is about .275/25/90/20SB's. Sizemore's is about .320/30/100/40SB's. Obviously he's not going to drive in 100 runs batting lead off. Anderson's not going to drive in 90 hitting 9th either. They both K far too much. Let's not forget that Sizemore is younger and has far more ML experience.

I like Anderson alot. I just don't see him having the upside of Sizemore.

veeter
03-29-2006, 01:15 PM
The fun part about it is, we get to watch and see what happens. It's going to be an awesome battle between the Sox and Injuns all year. What's great is, the Sox already delivered a world championship. So as hungry as I still am, and know the team is, the pressure to win it all isn't as great. Which may actually work to their advantage.

TaylorStSox
03-29-2006, 01:21 PM
The fun part about it is, we get to watch and see what happens. It's going to be an awesome battle between the Sox and Injuns all year. What's great is, the Sox already delivered a world championship. So as hungry as I still am, and know the team is, the pressure to win it all isn't as great. Which may actually work to their advantage.

I'm excited. I think the Injuns are going to be much better than people think. I might even pick them to take the division and for us to take the WC. :redface:

Honestly, Sizemore's one of the guys in the league I'd kill for. He'd fit so well into LF for us.

California Sox
03-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Trading Sizemore's yet another of those great Omar Minya moves. Worst GM ever.

TDog
03-29-2006, 02:38 PM

I'm still waiting for Brian Simmons.

SABRSox
03-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Trading Sizemore's yet another of those great Omar Minya moves. Worst GM ever.

Isiah Thomas is the worst gm ever. Of course, you probably meant in baseball, in which case, I'd give that award to Ken Harrelson.

He is... a minor stolen base threat. This is a solid move for the Indians.

22 stolen bases is not a minor stolen base threat. I think there were something like only 30 players last year to reach the 20 sb mark in all of baseball. He's worth every penny of that contract, and probably more.

itsnotrequired
03-29-2006, 03:07 PM
I22 stolen bases is not a minor stolen base threat. I think there were something like only 30 players last year to reach the 20 sb mark in all of baseball.

27 players, actually. 22 SBs is indeed nothing to sneeze at.

palehozenychicty
03-29-2006, 03:15 PM
His name alone is priceless, and he can play. But Anderson has something special about him. He'll be better next year, but that fire and edginess will play well with the clubhouse this year.

DaleJRFan
03-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Martinez last year, Pherralta and Sizemore this year....I just don't like how Cleveland is locking up their good young players so long term. That's exactly what the did before they made their last run to dominance in the central.

But whatever. We've got our core locked up for a while too.

This is exactly why Coco Crisp was traded. Last two off-seasons, Shipiro locked up Hafner, Martinez, Sabathia, etc - all long term. While Crisp was whining in arbitration over $200,000, Hafner and Martinez were committing themselves to the 'organization' by signing longterm deals long before they were in arb years or had even reached their prime.

Shipiro sent a message to the rest of the young guys there, Not on board with what we are doing? Don't like the terms of what we offer? Buh-bye, see ya. You're expendable and now you're someone else's problem.

I hate the damn Indians, but you have to hand it to this guy, he's putting together a very solid core for the next 4 or 5 seasons.