PDA

View Full Version : Question: BJ Upton

soxfanatlanta
03-29-2006, 11:16 AM
I read recently that although BJ Upton's bat is more than ready to face ML pitching, his defense is terrible. Does anybody have the skinny on how he performed during spring training with the glove? I know Ozzie Smith worked with him, but I don't know if he improved of not.

Randar68
03-29-2006, 12:28 PM
I read recently that although BJ Upton's bat is more than ready to face ML pitching, his defense is terrible. Does anybody have the skinny on how he performed during spring training with the glove? I know Ozzie Smith worked with him, but I don't know if he improved of not.

Unless Ozzie Smith's spirit has posessed the kid, his glove still sucks.

Might be destined for OF.

TaylorStSox
03-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Unless Ozzie Smith's spirit has posessed the kid, his glove still sucks.

Might be destined for OF.

:tongue:

Have you ever seen a kid get over 50 errors in AAA? That's just insane.

soxfanatlanta
03-29-2006, 12:54 PM
:tongue:

Have you ever seen a kid get over 50 errors in AAA? That's just insane.

Amazing, really. I can only imagine what was going through Ozzie Smith's mind when he was working with him.

California Sox
03-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Consider the source, but Gammons said Upton looked much improved in the spring. As far as 50 errors in AAA, that's not as uncommon as you think. Less experienced players plus far worse playing conditions can add up to a lot of errors. The guy who I think is really going to have trouble staying in the infield is Weeks. Great looking bat, but he's the second coming of Soriano in the field.