PDA

View Full Version : Rowand at Ring Ceremony?

krispoulin
03-29-2006, 12:55 AM
I recently noticed that the Phillies have Tuesday the 4th off. Anyone heard a peep regarding whether Rowand will make it to the ceremony? Should be a helluva a reception for that guy (and all the rest, of course).

soxstarter
03-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Sure, by all rights they should all be there. Practically speaking of course....it won't happen. I would think Rowand would be more well received than the couple who have been shooting off their mouths in the media.

Madvora
03-29-2006, 07:46 AM
Didn't Frank say that he won't be at the ring ceremony?

itsnotrequired
03-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Didn't Frank say that he won't be at the ring ceremony?

Big surprise...

03-29-2006, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't count it out...last year Derek Lowe and Dave Roberts made it back to Boston...LA media made a big deal that Lowe wore a Red Sox jersey to go get his ring....but I remember Jim Tracey saying he wasn't mad at all and neither was his team, that getting a WS ring may be a a once and a lifetime chance...I can see Charlie Manuel urging AR to go, I can see this happening, give AR a proper send off

Chicken Dinner
03-29-2006, 09:08 AM
I don't think it will happen.

dondosae1
03-29-2006, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't count it out...last year Derek Lowe and Dave Roberts made it back to Boston...LA media made a big deal that Lowe wore a Red Sox jersey to go get his ring....but I remember Jim Tracey saying he wasn't mad at all and neither was his team, that getting a WS ring may be a a once and a lifetime chance...I can see Charlie Manuel urging AR to go, I can see this happening, give AR a proper send off

I was just about to say the samething. Personally, I think it would be great if Rowand came back. I think the only people that would make a big deal of it would be the Philly media. I don't think most publications in our area would care...I just recall the backlash last year with Lowe.

03-29-2006, 09:41 AM
I was just about to say the samething. Personally, I think it would be great if Rowand came back. I think the only people that would make a big deal of it would be the Philly media. I don't think most publications in our area would care...I just recall the backlash last year with Lowe.

I think the major backlash with Lowe came because he wore a RS jersey after the Dodgers just signed him to a way to generous contract.....no one made a peep out of Roberts.....AR doesn't have to wear a Sox jersey, thats fine with me, I'd just like to send him off properly.

steff
03-29-2006, 02:03 PM
He is definitely not coming to the ring ceremony.

batmanZoSo
03-29-2006, 02:10 PM

He called you?

steff
03-29-2006, 03:21 PM
He called you?

Umm, nope.

:?: I'm sorry.. did I imply that he called me..?

NonetheLoaiza
03-29-2006, 03:22 PM

Just curious as to how you know this. Was it in the paper or somewhere?

TaylorStSox
03-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Who cares?

NonetheLoaiza
03-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Who cares?

I do. Seeing as Rowand won't be at Comiskey this year, I would love the opportunity to give him a standing ovation if he came back.

TaylorStSox
03-29-2006, 03:36 PM
I do. Seeing as Rowand won't be at Comiskey this year, I would love the opportunity to give him a standing ovation if he came back.

Yeah, I know. I need to ignore the Rowand update threads. They're getting old, for me. For example, I don't need to know when Aaron Rowand takes out his trash or what car he drove to the park today.

Baby Fisk
03-29-2006, 03:37 PM
This may open the door to an argument, but Rowand will be remembered as one of the most iconic players from the 2005 Sox. He's all over the WS and Sox Pride DVDs. The outrage and sadness following his trade was huge. He's shown nothing but class since being shipped out of town. Fans want to show him their appreciation. It would be a shame if he got his ring in the mail.

TaylorStSox
03-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Sorry. I don't want to hijack the thread.

steff
03-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I know. I need to ignore the Rowand update threads. They're getting old, for me. For example, I don't need to know when Aaron Rowand takes out his trash or what car he drove to the park today.

A lot of fans hold Aaron close to their hearts and do care.

steff
03-29-2006, 03:43 PM
This may open the door to an argument, but Rowand will be remembered as one of the most iconic players from the 2005 Sox. He's all over the WS and Sox Pride DVDs. The outrage and sadness following his trade was huge. He's shown nothing but class since being shipped out of town. Fans want to show him their appreciation. It would be a shame if he got his ring in the mail.

I agree with you 100%
I'm sure it will be handed to him.

areilly
03-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Guys I think could be invited back for the ceremony (in order of likelihood):
Rowand
Blum
El Duque

Guys I think definitely wouldn't be:
Marte
Frank
Carl
Willie

Guys who could go either way:
Viz
Timo

itsnotrequired
03-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Rowand
Blum
El Duque

Marte
Frank
Carl
Willie

Viz
Timo

What about Shingo?

The Critic
03-29-2006, 04:09 PM
What about Shingo?

Does he have an off-day that day?
:D:

MsSoxVixen22
03-29-2006, 04:49 PM

Well said, Baby Fisk! I feel the same way you do about Aaron!

DaBears
03-29-2006, 05:11 PM
I think Rowand will be attendance. I don't KNOW for sure, but I've got a hunch. And he wont be wearing anything WS, just his Bears hat:cool:

TDog
03-29-2006, 06:15 PM
I like Aaron and had a chance to hang out with him at last year's fantasy camp. I was sorry to see him traded. But I don't think he should come to the ring ceremony any more than I think Geoff Blum, Carl Everett or even Frank Thomas -- or even El Duque, Marte, Viz or Shingo -- should be coming to the ring ceremony at a White Sox game. I left out Willie Harris and Timo Perez, I know, but can you imagine the reaction fans would give to Joe Borchard if he came back? At a banquet in five years or a game in 10 years, sure, bring them all back if they'll come.

Celebrate 2005, but don't live in the past. Don't begin 2006 by bringing out players who won't be back because management was trying to improve the team in an effort to repeat.

Aaron has a new team to worry about, anyway.

jongarlandlover
03-29-2006, 06:15 PM

ditto. :smile:

i wish i got to go to the game on april 4th. especially if aaron's there, i would of liked to be there to give him a proper send off.

michned
03-29-2006, 06:36 PM
I think Rowand will be attendance. I don't KNOW for sure, but I've got a hunch. And he wont be wearing anything WS, just his Bears hat:cool:
I think he'll be there but he'll be in street clothes. If the LA media ripped Derek Lowe last year, can you imagine what the Philadelphia media would do to Rowand if he wore a Sox jersey? In fact, weren't the Philly talk shows all up in arms this winter because he went to a Bears game?

soxwon
03-29-2006, 06:52 PM
I recently noticed that the Phillies have Tuesday the 4th off. Anyone heard a peep regarding whether Rowand will make it to the ceremony? Should be a helluva a reception for that guy (and all the rest, of course).

yes he will be, he told me in florida, he misses chicago and would be attending the ring ceremony.

03-29-2006, 06:53 PM
I think they will all be invited, but I think Row, Blum and Duque may be the only ones who show....maybe Carl and Willie....they should all do this because this is for the fans....come and thank the fans.....

Rowand
Blum
El Duque

Marte
Frank
Carl
Willie

Viz
Timo

steff
03-29-2006, 09:38 PM
yes he will be, he told me in florida, he misses chicago and would be attending the ring ceremony.

Plans must have changed, because he's not going to be there on Tuesday.

steff
03-29-2006, 09:42 PM
I think they will all be invited, but I think Row, Blum and Duque may be the only ones who show....maybe Carl and Willie....they should all do this because this is for the fans....come and thank the fans.....

Frank was not invited.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-29-2006, 09:43 PM

I agree with you, but I'd like to know what makes you so sure?

On a side note I wonder if they'd even invite him.

steff
03-29-2006, 09:51 PM
I agree with you, but I'd like to know what makes you so sure?

On a side note I wonder if they'd even invite him.

His wife said they would not be there Tuesday.

soxwon
03-29-2006, 10:13 PM

oh really thanks for the update

Taliesinrk
03-30-2006, 12:08 AM
wow.. what do i have to do to be in the "in crowd" around here? seriously, how do you all talk to aaron?? or his wife??

JohnBasedowYoda
03-30-2006, 12:21 AM
wow.. what do i have to do to be in the "in crowd" around here? seriously, how do you all talk to aaron?? or his wife??

When you sit in the scout seats you get to hand them a towel in the clubhouse. After that you're on a first name basis.

itsnotrequired
03-30-2006, 08:05 AM
When you sit in the scout seats you get to hand them a towel in the clubhouse. After that you're on a first name basis.

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/seinfeld/video/hernandez.jpg

KEITH: Better bring your gloves, it's freezing out there. It shouldn't take too long. I'd say maybe, oh, four hours. Really though, Jerry, there's not that much. First we got the bedroom, we got two dressers and the bed.

JERRY: Is there a box spring?

KEITH: What's that?

JERRY: Is there a box spring?

KEITH: Yeah there's a box spring but it's attached to the headboard and we'll have to take that apart. Then we got the couch.

JERRY: Is that a sectional?

KEITH: Yeah. Twelve pieces. Then there's the marble coffee table.

JERRY: Is that a thick marble?

Deuce
03-30-2006, 10:09 AM
I would think Rowand would be more well received than the couple who have been shooting off their mouths in the media.:rolleyes:

dakuda
03-31-2006, 01:43 PM
We can't wait to get back to Chicago. Players are talking about what the ballpark will be like on Sunday night, and then on Tuesday when we get our World Series rings. No one except maybe Jerry Reinsdorf knows what the ring looks like, so we can't wait for that. I hear Aaron Rowand, El Duque and other players who have days off are coming back for the ring presentation. That tells you how special it will be.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/greetings_from.jsp?date=033106

BeviBall!
03-31-2006, 02:01 PM
This ring ceremony is over sold. It's as if a PR guy acted unscrupulously.

anewman35
03-31-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm sure Ozzie's letter had to go through the Sox PR people, and I find it hard to believe they'd have included that part about Rowand if they knew he wasn't coming. Stranger things have happened, I suppose.

salty99
03-31-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm going to be there..isn't that good enough people!!!!!

:supernana:

WS in 05
03-31-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm sure Ozzie's letter had to go through the Sox PR people, and I find it hard to believe they'd have included that part about Rowand if they knew he wasn't coming. Stranger things have happened, I suppose.

After reading the letter, I'm pretty sure that ozzie didn't even write the letter considering that you could comprehend what was written. If you read some of his quotes in the paper he sure as hell don't sound this well-spoken. So like anewman had said the PR people have an inside tip

TaylorStSox
03-31-2006, 04:21 PM
Everyone stop fighting about Aaron Rowand! *bursts into tears and runs away*

Aaron Rowand was an average ball player whom might have been our weakest link last year. :redneck

SoxFan78
03-31-2006, 04:22 PM
I think we are all missing the point here, who cares if Aaron is gonna be there.

Is JOE BORCHARD gonna be there????

DumpJerry
03-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Aaron Rowand was an average ball player whom might have been our weakest link last year. :redneck
I agree with you there. There were some in the Bullpen that could also qualify, but pitching is evaluated differently.

ARow's baserunning blunders were really stupid. Also, his crashing into the walls will put him on the DL some September when the team needs him.......

DickAllen72
03-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Rowand
Blum
El Duque

Marte
Frank
Carl
Willie

Viz
Timo

Carl definitely SHOULD be invited. He was a HUGE part of the WS Champs and his comments about the Sox missing "vocal leaders" were blown way out of proportion by some.

The others should be invited as well. Even though Frank already said he wouldn't come, refused to go to the White House and and he said he regrets being part of the post season activities, he still should get an invitation just as a formality.

One guy I would love to see there to get a ring is Shingo. Logistics would probably not allow him to be here from Japan, but he should get a ring and it would be nice if he got it at the ceremony.

TaylorStSox
03-31-2006, 04:30 PM
Carl definitely SHOULD be invited. He was a HUGE part of the WS Champs and his comments about the Sox missing "vocal leaders" were blown way out of proportion by some.

The others should be invited as well. Even though Frank already said he wouldn't come, refused to go to the White House and and he said he regrets being part of the post season activities, he still should get an invitation just as a formality.

One guy I would love to see there to get a ring is Shingo. Logistics would probably not allow him to be here from Japan, but he should get a ring and it would be nice if he got it at the ceremony.

They should all be there, but I don't care. They're no longer a part of this team.

chisoxmike
03-31-2006, 04:31 PM
I agree with you there. There were some in the Bullpen that could also qualify, but pitching is evaluated differently.

ARow's baserunning blunders were really stupid. Also, his crashing into the walls will put him on the DL some September when the team needs him.......

DING DING DING! Thank you Bob! While I will agree with EVERYONE that Aaron was a great guy to have on the team... WE GOT JIM THOME! If he is anywhere near 100% all season I'd take that over Rowand any day of the week!

DickAllen72
03-31-2006, 04:35 PM
This ring ceremony is over sold. It's as if a PR guy acted unscrupulously.

I luvvv The Simpsons! :cool:

Iwritecode
03-31-2006, 04:35 PM
I see you deleted your personal attack on me (asking me if I read much) when you said he won't be there on Tuesday. The ring ceremony is on Tuesday and Ozzie seems to think he probably will be there.

To end the confusion, he's supposed to be there on Sunday. Not Tuesday. :wink:

DickAllen72
03-31-2006, 04:37 PM
They should all be there, but I don't care. They're no longer a part of this team.
But the ring ceremony is for last year's team.

salty99
03-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Hey does anyone know if Raul Casanova is going to be there?

oeo
03-31-2006, 05:29 PM
His stats are not why people like him, it's the way he plays. He always goes out there and gives it his all, and plus he loves the Sox and the city (and he's a Bears fan :D:).

TaylorStSox
03-31-2006, 05:34 PM
His stats are not why people like him, it's the way he plays. He always goes out there and gives it his all, and plus he loves the Sox and the city (and he's a Bears fan :D:).

I understand why people think he's the second coming. I just think they're being delusional fanboys. :tongue:

TDog
03-31-2006, 11:18 PM
...ARow's baserunning blunders were really stupid. ...

I read at WSI that he took bad routes around the bases.

DumpJerry
04-01-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm watching the 9th inning of Game 4 on my box set (:bandance:), and ARow's last at bat as Sox had him bunting three balls foul. After the third one, Ozzie looked like he found out someone sold his kids for lunch money. The last one was nowhere near the strike zone.

This with a one-run lead.:angry:

'Nuff said.

Layla
04-01-2006, 07:09 PM
But you guys are forgetting the most important contribution made by Rowand:

He was one of the three in the bar and yelled out to hear Journey.

Without him. we never might have had "Don't Stop Believin'":D:

hsnterprize
04-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Let me clear the air on this one. Brooks Boyer was on WSCR's "White Sox Weekly" this morning, and he said that Aaron Rowand WILL be one of the former Sox players who will be at the ballpark tomorrow night for the banner ceremony. Boyer said it'll be the Sox fan's chance to give Aaron "a proper sendoff".

Other former Sox from last year, according to Boyer, include Orlando Hernandez, Timo Perez, and Willie Harris. No word on Carl Everett, and no word on Frank Thomas.

oeo
04-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Let me clear the air on this one. Brooks Boyer was on WSCR's "White Sox Weekly" this morning, and he said that Aaron Rowand WILL be one of the former Sox players who will be at the ballpark tomorrow night for the banner ceremony. Boyer said it'll be the Sox fan's chance to give Aaron "a proper sendoff".

Other former Sox from last year, according to Boyer, include Orlando Hernandez, Timo Perez, and Willie Harris. No word on Carl Everett, and no word on Frank Thomas.

So he will be there for the banner ceremony, not the ring ceremony?

fuzzy_patters
04-01-2006, 07:31 PM

It's a shame that Thomas has so much animosity towards the Sox. Hopefully, time will heal these wounds. I can understand why he would not want to attend the ring ceremony since he is probably still bitter, but I hope he will be in attendence some day when the Sox retire his number.

Iwritecode
04-02-2006, 01:09 AM
So he will be there for the banner ceremony, not the ring ceremony?

That's what I said 10 posts ago... :wink: