PDA

View Full Version : Giambi a gift?

RichH55
01-17-2002, 02:14 AM
Well the A's seem to be doing fine offseason wise after Giambi...granted they should have locked him up in the offseason when they had the chance(give the no-trade clause), but At the money Giambi commands, will he produce at 37? Alot of how that move will look depends on how well Pena does, but without that money no way the A's get Dye for a 3 year deal and it gives them more flexibility to work with and with that staff they should still compete for a while...Man if the Yanks dont win it this year I can see them firing Cashman and hiring Beane and that is the scariest thought I can think of

GASHWOUND
01-17-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Well the A's seem to be doing fine offseason wise after Giambi...granted they should have locked him up in the offseason when they had the chance(give the no-trade clause), but At the money Giambi commands, will he produce at 37? Alot of how that move will look depends on how well Pena does, but without that money no way the A's get Dye for a 3 year deal and it gives them more flexibility to work with and with that staff they should still compete for a while...Man if the Yanks dont win it this year I can see them firing Cashman and hiring Beane and that is the scariest thought I can think of

Well, alot of older players have produced respectable #'s. hell, Bonds is like 37 and he hit over 70 hr's, so who knows. But you shouldn't look into he future and think if he's gnna produce at 37, just win with him now, in his prime and worry if he'll produce at age 37 when the time comes. Still think they should've signed Giambi. That A's team was on the brink of greatness.

RichH55
01-17-2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

Well, alot of older players have produced respectable #'s. hell, Bonds is like 37 and he hit over 70 hr's, so who knows. But you shouldn't look into he future and think if he's gnna produce at 37, just win with him now, in his prime and worry if he'll produce at age 37 when the time comes. Still think they should've signed Giambi. That A's team was on the brink of greatness.

Oh no question that the A's should have locked Jason up last offseason, but still signing him means no Dye and you still have to ink those arms to long term deals....greatness in Oakland is always going to appear fleeting with the current enviroment