PDA

View Full Version : world series collectors edition is great

richb2
03-28-2006, 05:42 PM
wow I got mine today and the wait was worth it----wow . The dvd set is well worth a must have

lths06
03-28-2006, 06:40 PM
collector's edition...what?:?:

Law11
03-28-2006, 06:41 PM
wow I got mine today and the wait was worth it----wow .

Very cool. The bonus CD is sharp with all the parade stuff.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Very cool. The bonus CD is sharp with all the parade stuff.

How much of the Parade is shown?

Law11
03-28-2006, 06:56 PM
How much of the Parade is shown?

It not the length of it so much its the content. There's no voice over's just the players in the buses and the fans screaming on the streets from bridgeport into the loop as viewed from the players.

Timewise, probably 20 minutes.

SweetnesSox
03-28-2006, 06:57 PM
It not the length of it so much its the content. There's no voice over's just the players in the buses and the fans screaming on the streets from bridgeport into the loop as viewed from the players.

is this much different than the "sox pride" DVD?

IggyD
03-28-2006, 06:59 PM
I thought they were going to have all 12 post season games...it is only the clinch games in ALDS and ALCS....

No A.J. drop ball etc...think of all those great moments not included:(:

richb2
03-28-2006, 07:21 PM
the parade was very nice got to see it from the players vantage point from the buses----and also the players speaking from the stage. the games are all wide screen which is very nice. I will have to force myself and watch game one of the world series lol . I think showing the clinching game of the first two playoff series is enough for me. Each dvd holder has a ton of information and trivia about that exact game- pretty neat and inside has a recap of every at bat during the game

SoxFan78
03-28-2006, 07:54 PM
I tried getting one today at Best Buy after work. All sold out. I tried calling 8 other stores. All gone.

Law11
03-28-2006, 08:02 PM
I thought they were going to have all 12 post season games...it is only the clinch games in ALDS and ALCS....

Its pleanty for me.
There is so much info and extras its sick...
The DVD holders alone have stats and tibits galore.

roylestillman
03-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Well worth it. The quality of the games - both picture and sound - seemed better than the original broadcast. Little disapointed in the extras, most of which were included although somewhat edited on either the WS or Sox Pride videos. The parade footage was short and badly edited (out of sequence) but did have a lot of not seen before shots like Rowand and AJ goofing around up in the LaSalle Street Bridgehouse.

Borders on State seemed to have quite a few this afternoon. Check up at the register.

anewman35
03-28-2006, 08:57 PM

Why would you have thought that? They never said they would, and no other team ever has.

Lip Man 1
03-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Widescreen format???? Damn it all to hell!!!! :angry:

Lip

TommyJohn
03-28-2006, 09:45 PM
I tried getting one today at Best Buy after work. All sold out. I tried calling 8 other stores. All gone.

I got mine at Border's on Michigan Ave. It looked like I was the only one to
buy one. I'm happy to read that it is selling elsewhere.

gobears1987
03-28-2006, 09:56 PM
I'll be getting mine on the 31st. Can't wait

BeefyD
03-28-2006, 10:13 PM

Lip

Are there 2 different versions (Full and Wide)??? Because the other thread noted that it was 4:3, which is fullscreen.

Lip Man 1
03-28-2006, 10:16 PM
God I hope so.

Lip

BeefyD
03-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Something tells me he was mistaken (only proof I have is the other thread's pic of the back of the box, saying 4:3 full).

Plus, I haven't seen anyone selling a widescreen version.

richb2
03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
it looks great on wide screen -that is the best format for dvd. The only bad thing with game one is they do not include the player intros-great video, better than when it aired on tv. So muvch fun watching the world series with no stress-yes jenks just struck out bagwell-now if we can hold them in the ninth lol and if clemens is done for the series lol

BeefyD
03-28-2006, 10:22 PM
But does the back of the box actually say 16:9 widescreen or 4:3 fullscreen?
(Sorry to be picky, but if there's a Wide version, I'm waiting until I find one of those)

richb2
03-28-2006, 10:22 PM
I am watching the game right now-it is wide screen . The only part that was not was the parade and interviews full screen

Lip Man 1
03-28-2006, 10:27 PM
This is from the Deep Discount DVD page on it:

Special Featureshttp://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/images/blank.gif
DVD Features:
7 - Disc Box Set
Full Frame - 1.33

If as I assume full frame means the regular format (not widescreen) then this is what I ordered and I'll keep it....if they pulled a fast one and substituted that wide screen garbage then they'll be refunding my money as I'll be returning it.

Lip

richb2
03-28-2006, 10:41 PM
whats wrong with wide screen? the parade and interviews are full screen -game wide screen -game one just ended. putting in game two.

BeefyD
03-28-2006, 10:51 PM
There is nothing wrong with widescreen. We all want the widescreen version. The problem is, we think you are watching a full screen version in widescreen mode (not true widescreen).

Does the back of your box say 16:9 widescreen? (Text should be located within the black stripe on the back of the overall box).

Again, too many people will be returning purchases to be mistaken on this. We all want widescreen versions and have purchased full screen.

richb2
03-28-2006, 11:02 PM
does not say on the disc or on the box-all I know is that the picture and audio are great--I doubt many people will be returning it once they watch it-fun watching it again

BeefyD
03-28-2006, 11:08 PM
okee-doke. And no, I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the content.:D:

JohnBasedowYoda
03-28-2006, 11:37 PM
There is nothing wrong with widescreen. We all want the widescreen version. The problem is, we think you are watching a full screen version in widescreen mode (not true widescreen).

Does the back of your box say 16:9 widescreen? (Text should be located within the black stripe on the back of the overall box).

Again, too many people will be returning purchases to be mistaken on this. We all want widescreen versions and have purchased full screen.

I ordered mine off of deepdiscountdvd and it didn't give me an option for wide of full.

PKalltheway
03-28-2006, 11:49 PM
I didn't know there was an option for full-screen or widescreen, and quite frankly, I could care less. I got my copy from Borders today since Best Buy didn't have any in stock. I've watched most of the ALDS game against Boston. I can't wait until I get to Game 3 of the World Series haha! The video quality is simply excellent!:cool:

mweflen
03-29-2006, 12:28 AM
This is from the Deep Discount DVD page on it:

Special Featureshttp://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/images/blank.gif
DVD Features:
7 - Disc Box Set
Full Frame - 1.33

If as I assume full frame means the regular format (not widescreen) then this is what I ordered and I'll keep it....if they pulled a fast one and substituted that wide screen garbage then they'll be refunding my money as I'll be returning it.

Lip
All right, I'll bite and be a widescreen snob. Lip, only someone who doesn't have a widescreen TV and hasn't really watched anything in widescreen would label it "garbage."

Many of the games were shot in widescreen for HD presentation on Fox and/or Comcast. So if you watch your precious 4:3 version, you're missing almost half of the image.

Once you see a Sox game in glorious widescreen HD, your old boxy glass paperweight will never seem the same again.

http://www.geocities.com/matthewweflen/DSCF0351.jpg

here's a for instance. This is game 1 of the WS, in widescreen. Let's say I buy a pan and scan (4:3) version. Guess what's cut off? Those nifty WS logos! What game am I watching again? Who knows!?!?:redneck

IlliniSox4Life
03-29-2006, 03:23 AM
All right, I'll bite and be a widescreen snob. Lip, only someone who doesn't have a widescreen TV and hasn't really watched anything in widescreen would label it "garbage."
I'm with you. I don't even have a widescreen TV, and I prefer it immensely to fullscreen. As a 20 year old who, for pretty much the entire time he's been purchasing movies has had access to either fullscreen or widescreen, fullscreen just feels unnatural to me. I mean, people don't see in a square, the field of vision is much more like a rectangle. It always just seems more like you're seeing what you'd see if you were actually there to watch something in widescreen mode. There is a reason that movie theaters are widescreen.

I can see the appeal of a fullscreen movie to someone who is a little older and didn't always have the option of widescreen movies on a 4:3 tv, thus getting used to fullscreen. I can see the black bars getting annoying. They just don't to me.

EDIT: By the way, myeflen, I forgot to say, NICE TV. It's hard to tell the size of it, but damn that picture looks crisp. I can't wait to be able to afford such a beautiful thing.

Lip Man 1
03-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Mweflen:

*When you have the library of VHS tapes that I have including full games dating back to the early 80's, how am I supposed to watch them on a 'widescreen' TV? (without them looking bizarre and missing half of the video?)

*Plus Deep Discount SPECIFICALLY said FULL SCREEN on their ad. That's what I ordered, that's what I want.

*All you heard a few years ago was 'buy a bigger TV, buy a bigger TV!!'
Fine... I got a 35 inch one. Now WHY do I want a third of that picture screen to be nothing but goofy black bars? Does that make any sense at all???

*Finally if you want to send me a check for six or seven hundred dollars, and can figure out a way to convert all of my 800 VHS tapes to 'widescreen' format, that I'll happily purchase a 'widescreen' TV.

(Silence...)

Didn't think so.

Lip

NonetheLoaiza
03-29-2006, 12:34 PM
I love widescreen format. I always hated it until I took a film class in high school, and was able to develop and appreciation for it. I understand Lip's complaints, but if I was to choose between seeing it fullscreen or widescreen, I go with widescreen without hesitation. You see more picture, and are watching the film or movie as it was meant to be seen.

Cuck the Fubs
03-29-2006, 12:38 PM
I don't have a copy yet.....much like everyone else, I'm coming up empty retail wise, so I just ordered it from deep discount as well.

I have a feeling the "games" on these DVDs are widescreen.....and the rest of the content is full screen. I don't think there is a "widescreen" set for this.

I'd be all for it if there was though:D:

SoxFan76
03-29-2006, 12:57 PM

Lip

I hate widescreen! Why would I want the picture to be smaller?!

walrus
03-29-2006, 12:58 PM
the back of the box says "4:3 Letterbox"

which means widescreen. so you'll have some small bars on top and bottom.

why would you not want this? this is something you'll purchase once

all TVs in the future will be widescreen.

walrus
03-29-2006, 01:01 PM
i'll tell you the reason for the games being in widescreen:

they used the HDTV feeds, which are higher quality, so the games' picture quality will be better. it just so happens that the HDTV format is widescreen.

would you rather have low picture quality or small black bars?

i realize i'm in the minority by having an HDTV, but, like i said, eventually all TVs will be HD/Widescreen. i plan on showing these games to my kids.

walrus
03-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Mweflen:

*When you have the library of VHS tapes that I have including full games dating back to the early 80's, how am I supposed to watch them on a 'widescreen' TV? (without them looking bizarre and missing half of the video?)

With a widescreen TV, you don't have to "stretch" or "crop" the picture. You can watch it with black bars on the SIDES of the screen, which basically just makes it look like you're watching a smaller TV.

IMO, that's a small price to pay for MUCH, MUCH improved picture quality.

MsSoxVixen22
03-29-2006, 01:15 PM
I ordered my off barnesandnoble.com and I'll be getting it tomorrow! :bandance:

richb2
03-29-2006, 01:22 PM
I do not understadn some people-you get more of a picture when things are wide screen then full screen. the black bas do nothing but good for the picture. I am very happy the games are in wide screen. I almost forgot how joe buck carried on and on cried after jermaine dye was hit with that pitch and konerko hit the grand slam. I almost had to turn the sound off for about 3 minutes ughhh said almost. The funnything is what macarver says right before the grand slam-lidge has that bad taste out of his mouth from the pujols homerun --------half a second later grand slam

anewman35
03-29-2006, 01:43 PM
People who hate widescreen are just going to have to get used to it - more and more things are being released in only widescreen. This is not a bad thing at all - even if it's a little smaller on a normal 4:3 TV, you can see more of the image. It wouldn't surprise me at all if, in 10 years, all TVs sold are widescreen. It's simply a better format.

adrockski
03-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Hey, sorry to break up the widescreen debate, but for you fellas who have the set, do the games include an alternate audio track with Rooney and Farmer?

adrockski
03-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Nevermind. Found my answer on the other thread. Looks like we're out of luck. :(:

jongarlandlover
03-29-2006, 05:53 PM
ah, i really want the DVDs now. i'll be getting them probably this weekend or ordering them online.

Lip Man 1
03-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Obviously some of you folks haven't bothered to read my previously posted explanation.

WHY get a 'bigger' TV, which I did, when a third of it is 'black bars?????'

Someone please answer that question since everyone has conveniently avoided it. I listened to the industry three years ago and got a bigger set. I intend to get my money's worth.

Regarding the comment 'that's the way it was meant to be seen...' Who decided that? I wasn't asked was I?

I could care less the way George Lucas or Francis Ford Coppola want it to be seen. I'm PAYING to see it the way I want....not the way they want.

I already have all of the Sox games from the playoffs on VHS tape. I ordered the set simply because I was hoping Game #3 of the ALDS did not have that ludicrous 'fantasy geek crawl' on the bottom of the screen since this game was originally broadcast on ESPN 2. (Another idea that should be dropped in the bottomless pit of stupidity)

Bottom line... if it's in letterbox, it's going right back to Deep Discount in exchange for my money. If they have part of the material in full screen on the DVD they can have ALL of the material in fullscreen.

Lip

anewman35
03-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Obviously some of you folks haven't bothered to read my previously posted explanation.

Someone please answer that question since everyone has conveniently avoided it. I listened to the industry three years ago and got a bigger set. I intend to get my money's worth.

Um, because you see more picture, that's why. Obviously it would never be this extreme, but what would you rather see - a gigantic picture of just a baseball, or a 2/3s smaller picture of the actual game action? Size isn't everything. Anyway, three years ago it was already pretty clear that widescreen and HDTV were the wave of the future. Don't be bitter just because you settled for less.

TDog
03-29-2006, 06:46 PM
I was watching the World Series DVD that came out last winter and noticed, thanks to this debate, that the bonus feature of the Blum home run is in shown wide screen. I hadn't noticed it before. I just noticed that the highlight was deeper with more dimension.

RadioheadRocks
03-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Got my DVD box set yesterday morning at Border's Books. They only had one copy and it was still on the new arrivals cart, just waiting for the clerk to lock it up in the case with all the other box sets. I had just joined Border's Rewards and printed out a 30% off coupon that was emailed to me, so I was able to use that coupon and get $21 off!!! :D:

So far I watched the bonus DVD and selected parts of each game... love the feature where you can go directly to the inning of your choice! If there is one letdown, it's that I didn't tape or TiVo the games initially so I don't have any of the pregame or postgame features saved anywhere, and it would have been nice to have the late great Lou Rawls singing the National Anthem for us.

One thing I totally forgot about (and was VERY entertaining seeing again!) was how Buck and McCarver were literally anointing Vizcaino as the Game 2 hero all the way up to Pods' at-bat, not to mention the comments about whether Lidge still had a lingering taste from the Pujols home run in the NLCS and then BOOM SHAKKA-LAKKA!!!!!! Buck and McCarver were too stunned to believe what was happening and I couldn't have possibly enjoyed listening to them more!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Lip Man 1
03-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Anewman:

I settled for what I could afford at the time. I have a great system with a satellite. Quality is not an issue for me.

I should have a choice shouldn't I to watch what I wish in the format I wish.

Funny...until just a few short years ago you could get material in either format. Not now though....and it doesn't take a genius to figure out why...companies like Sony which is in the film business, wants you to be forced to go out and buy a widescreen Sony television.

They can find another sucker for that garbage.

Lip

anewman35
03-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Funny...until just a few short years ago you could get material in either format. Not now though....and it doesn't take a genius to figure out why...companies like Sony which is in the film business, wants you to be forced to go out and buy a widescreen Sony television.

I don't have a widescreen tv. I won't be able to afford a widescreen tv for many, many years. I still find widescreen broadcasts to be much better, because I realize I'm seeing more. If you can't get past the black bars, I guess that's just your right, but I think you would find yourself in the minority.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Anewman:

I settled for what I could afford at the time. I have a great system with a satellite. Quality is not an issue for me.

I should have a choice shouldn't I to watch what I wish in the format I wish.

Lip

How is this going to look on a regular TV (27" Zenith built in the 1990s)? How much of the top and bottom of the screen will be blank?

Will my PC be the only place to watch this properly? (I have a 19" monitor)

My brother purchased this for me at Costco for $39.99 tonight!
Hope I can watch it. :o:

JohnBasedowYoda
03-29-2006, 09:36 PM
I don't have a widescreen tv. I won't be able to afford a widescreen tv for many, many years. I still find widescreen broadcasts to be much better, because I realize I'm seeing more. If you can't get past the black bars, I guess that's just your right, but I think you would find yourself in the minority.

I dated this chick that would actually use the zoom feature on the dvd to eliminate the black bars. Nothing like watching grainy movies.

anewman35
03-29-2006, 09:49 PM
How is this going to look on a regular TV (27" Zenith built in the 1990s)? How much of the top and bottom of the screen will be blank?

Will my PC be the only place to watch this properly? (I have a 19" monitor)

My brother purchased this for me at Costco for $39.99 tonight!
Hope I can watch it. :o:

It'll be fine. Have you seen any show on a network that has small black bars on the top on bottom? It'll be like that. Nothing worth worrying about.

mikef1331
03-30-2006, 12:24 AM
I would have had the DVD today, but the only place I found it at was Borders and they wanted $70 for it.:o:

I think that I'll be ordering it online.

pudge
03-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Mweflen:

*Plus Deep Discount SPECIFICALLY said FULL SCREEN on their ad. That's what I ordered, that's what I want.

*All you heard a few years ago was 'buy a bigger TV, buy a bigger TV!!'
Fine... I got a 35 inch one. Now WHY do I want a third of that picture screen to be nothing but goofy black bars? Does that make any sense at all???

*Finally if you want to send me a check for six or seven hundred dollars, and can figure out a way to convert all of my 800 VHS tapes to 'widescreen' format, that I'll happily purchase a 'widescreen' TV.

(Silence...)

Didn't think so.

Lip

LOL, way to be an old grumpy man, Lip. Widescreen and HDTV kick so much butt it's not even funny. When you get on the train some day us snobs will be happy to have you aboard. :)

gobears1987
03-30-2006, 10:25 AM
I got mine. My biggest complaint is I have to listen to Chris Berman, Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, and worst of all, Scooter.

Procol Harum
03-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Got my copy from Amazon yesterday (paid $62, free shipping, pre-ordered before Christmas) and watched the Boston clincher last night. Although I don't have an HDTV the "black bandage" on my 36" Sony Wega was not terribly invasive. The picture quality and sound are fantastic--especially in comparison to the experience of watching some of the VHS tapes I made over the winter. Agreed that having to listen to Chris Berman and such is a bummer, but, you have that on your homemade tapes, too.

On a side note, I actually kinda miss the commercials--gives you a little better cultural/social "snapshot" of the times when you can see those, putting the event a little more into its actual historical context. That said--I'd definitely want some sort of commercial override option on the dvd if they were included!

gobears1987
03-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Oh, there are comercials. Like Game 1 when Ozzie goes to the pen their Web MD injury report is "rusy arms". That was such BS they had to invent an injury to use that damn ad. Oh, and don't make me bring up that dumb siren for Prison Break. I wish MLB would revoke Fox's baseball contract. Let they just stick to what they do best, football.

North Sox Sider
03-30-2006, 01:34 PM
I got mine yesterday and watched the game 3 of the ALDS against the Red Sox and the bonus DVD.
ESPN has to retire Berman. I have never heard an announcer that was so parital toward one team that was on a national broadcast team in my life. He couldnt talk up Ortiz and Manny any more and down play Konerko's homer any more. I think it was an embarassing job on his part. Sutcliffe and Pizza man werent too bad but Berman has to go. They should let him do his little football postgame show so he can create those clever nicknames and keep him away from everything else especially baseball.

walrus
03-30-2006, 02:25 PM

You're concerned about the actual picture size, not the actual picture. The black bars just make the image smaller on your TV, but you see the whole image, rather than it being cropped to fit your TV.

No one said to get a bigger TV. They said to get a widescreen TV, because that's the format that all TV will be in in the future.

They aren't going to make a fullscreen set, so it's either this set or nothing.

Like I said before, the HDTV signal (the one used on the DVDs, which makes the most sense) is in widescreen format, and the picture quality is much, much better.

I can't see why anyone would choose picture size (so you lose a few inches) over picture quality (so you gain tons of resolution).

The difference between HDTV and regular TV is night and day.

When you buy a fullscreen DVD, you are buying a film that has been modified from its original format. But this can be resolved by owning a widescreen TV. Not everyone can afford or wants to get one right now, but eventually that is all they will sell.

FanofBill
03-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Hey guys, just to let you know. Family Video has the Box set for 44.64 + .99c for shipping on their on line store.

Realist
03-30-2006, 02:38 PM
I dated this chick that would actually use the zoom feature on the dvd to eliminate the black bars. Nothing like watching grainy movies.

I would have had my shoes and coat on before she even put the remote down. :smile:

peeonwrigley
03-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Widescreen is preferred because human can't fly, and thus life happens on a horzontal plane.

Me personally, it does not really affect my enjoyment. About 3 or 4 minutes into whatever I'm watching I forget if I'm watching a 20" black and white set or a 52" HD plasma.

For the record, I currently have a 27" Wega, but am considering a significant upgrade. I guess that 3 or 4 minutes really matters to me.:cool:

FoulTerritory
03-30-2006, 06:17 PM
What is being left out of this discussion is that for wide screen television, the format of this collectors edition is terrible. Because its 4'3 widescreen, on a 16'9 screen you get a stretched screen w/ bars -- the worst of both worlds. They should have left it in 16'9 full (how it was broadcast on TV, and how most movies are formatted) so that it is not stretched for wide screen -- especially considering that all TV's will be 16'9 in the near future.

richb2
03-30-2006, 06:30 PM
what-have you even seen the video of the games? I am no techno wizard but the pictures are very crisp and sharp, and the audio is very well done also-sorry I have complaints.

FoulTerritory
03-30-2006, 06:37 PM
what-have you even seen the video of the games? I am no techno wizard but the pictures are very crisp and sharp, and the audio is very well done also-sorry I have complaints.

Its a good picture, but it is stretched. If you have a 16'9 TV, you know that when you rent a DVD movie, it will auto format to 16'9 and you can watch it non-stretched as it looks in a theater. If you put that same movie in a 4'3, it will crop it to standard, so that it fits (a few inches on the sides are chopped), but there are no bars. Either way, movie DVD's generally offer the best for either television screen size. But this situation sucks both for people like Lip, who have a 4'3 set and don't want bars, AND for people with 16'9 because the screen is stretched due to their desire to project a full ratio for 4'3, and I imagine, because they were too cheap to set the DVD up for both formats, as is done for movies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have the collectors set, BUT I do think they botched some things, possibly in an effort to save production costs . . . but who knows.

chisoxmike
03-30-2006, 06:40 PM
I still can't decide which one I want to blow $70 on, the Sox world series collection or the fifth and final season of Six Feet Under. Right now, I can only get one...:dunno:

Let the attack begin...

RadioheadRocks
03-30-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm not going to resurrect the thread or anything, but I remember there was a bit of a debate going on in the World Series Game 2 post-game thread regarding that picture of Lidge apparently on the mound with his head hung down while Pods crossed home plate after that stunning walk-off shot. Several folks thought the pic may have been "Photoshopped" because they didn't think Lidge would still be on the mound when Pods made it home. However, if you do a freeze-frame at 2:25:37 on the Game 2 DVD, you'll find that the pic was indeed the real deal. Basically what happened was Lidge ran over from the mound towards the third base line as the ball sailed into the stands (a few minutes later on the DVD you can see a slow-motion replay showing Lidge standing along the baseline as Rowand, Anderson and the rest of the team poured out of the Sox dugout), then was on his way back to the Astros dugout, pausing momentarily near the mound to brush off his knees as Pods scored the game winner (hence, the legendary photo of Lidge apparently bowing over in defeat as Pods scored).

mweflen
03-30-2006, 09:18 PM
What is being left out of this discussion is that for wide screen television, the format of this collectors edition is terrible. Because its 4'3 widescreen, on a 16'9 screen you get a stretched screen w/ bars -- the worst of both worlds. They should have left it in 16'9 full (how it was broadcast on TV, and how most movies are formatted) so that it is not stretched for wide screen -- especially considering that all TV's will be 16'9 in the near future.
This thread is going to go to 300 posts overnight if we have to start explaining anamorphic widescreen vs. non-anamorphic widescreen to people.:smile:

FWIW, the pic of my TV I posted is just a no-name 26" LCD flat panel which I picked up online for $700. Widescreen HD sets no longer need to break the bank. Also, if size matters, it is pretty easy to find 40-50 inch LCD and DLP projection sets for ~1500.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-30-2006, 09:43 PM
I still can't decide which one I want to blow $70 on, the Sox world series collection or the fifth and final season of Six Feet Under. Right now, I can only get one...:dunno:

Let the attack begin...

Don't buy either and use the money for my favorite charity. The JohnBasedowYoda.com Memorial Fund: Honoring the Moral Character and Achievements of a Man that Could be $70 Richer.

FoulTerritory
03-30-2006, 09:44 PM
This thread is going to go to 300 posts overnight if we have to start explaining anamorphic widescreen vs. non-anamorphic widescreen to people.:smile:

FWIW, the pic of my TV I posted is just a no-name 26" LCD flat panel which I picked up online for $700. Widescreen HD sets no longer needs to break the bank. Also, if size matters, it is pretty easy to find 40-50 inch LCD and DLP projection sets for ~1500.

right. to use your technical terminology, I guess my gripe is that the format for the collectors edition is non-anamorphic wide-screen, which basically means that it does not properly fit a wide-screen television; hence, the stretched image on my wide-screen TV.

mweflen
03-30-2006, 11:47 PM
right. to use your technical terminology, I guess my gripe is that the format for the collectors edition is non-anamorphic wide-screen, which basically means that it does not properly fit a wide-screen television; hence, the stretched image on my wide-screen TV.

yes indeed, non-anamorphic widescreen sucketh greatly.

TommyJohn
03-31-2006, 07:17 AM

Let the attack begin...

The White Sox may win the World Series just once in your lifetime, but
death is forever....

mcfish
03-31-2006, 09:44 AM
Why would you have thought that? They never said they would, and no other team ever has.This will have been lost in all the widescreen talk, but the reason some of us were hoping for all 12 games to be on the DVD is because the Red Sox dvd of 2004 included all of their games, at least that's how I understand it to be.

Not that I won't get it, but if it's only 6 games, it's much less interesting to me. I won't even get a copy of the two games I was actually able to attend - ALDS 1 & 2 - the best 2 games I have ever been to.

SoxFan78
03-31-2006, 09:51 AM
This will have been lost in all the widescreen talk, but the reason some of us were hoping for all 12 games to be on the DVD is because the Red Sox dvd of 2004 included all of their games, at least that's how I understand it to be.

Not that I won't get it, but if it's only 6 games, it's much less interesting to me. I won't even get a copy of the two games I was actually able to attend - ALDS 1 & 2 - the best 2 games I have ever been to.

The Red Sox dvd didnt have any of the games from the ALDS. It had all the games from the ALCS and WS. I think the only reason why they included all of the games from the ALCS was because they came from 0-3 to win the series.

sox1970
03-31-2006, 10:00 AM
I picked up the box set. I like it. I would have definitely liked all 12 playoff games, but it's ok. The bonus disc has some cool features and you get all the celebration/parade highlights too. Overall, I give it a solid B.

richb2
03-31-2006, 01:50 PM
wow just got done watching game 3 -wow even with the commercials edited out that was one long, long ,long ,long game. I am happy with the out come but man it is amazing how the astros did not score another run and win that game good grief-the gods were smiling on the white sox

madisonsoxfan
04-01-2006, 01:01 AM
Just got mine tonight. Finally got to watch the rest of game 3. The german shepherd pup that my fiance and I got 10 days before managed to break free that night. Priorities took control and I missed the Sox. Our dog, aptly named Ozzie, was back in our lives two days later. :D: I am also addicted to Konerko's Grand Slam in game 2 and Pod's game winner! I've watched it far too many times tonight. Let's do it again! :gulp: