PDA

View Full Version : Erstad deal dead?

Daver
01-16-2002, 10:17 PM
Or is it the final peice to put the trade over the top?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/01/16/angels_erstad/

Jerry_Manuel
01-16-2002, 10:38 PM
Makes him easier to deal if he's signed, no?

WinningUgly!
01-16-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Makes him easier to deal if he's signed, no?

Not really. He's still free to walk at season's end, so any team that would trade for him is still taking a risk.

Daver
01-16-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Not really. He's still free to walk at season's end, so any team that would trade for him is still taking a risk.

Uhhhhhhhh....

He would be signed through the 2003 season.He could walk after that.

Chisox_cali
01-16-2002, 10:57 PM
The Phils did that over the off-season, they signed Omar Daal to a one year deal than traded him to the Dodgers.

WinningUgly!
01-16-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by daver

Uhhhhhhhh....

He would be signed through the 2003 season.He could walk after that.

It says he's a FA at the end of the 2002 season.
Financial terms were not disclosed, but Erstad earned $3.45 million last season and was eligible for arbitration. The prospect of losing the multi-dimensional outfielder is a distinct possibility as Erstad is a free agent after this season

czalgosz
01-17-2002, 01:01 AM
Yep, it doesn't change anything, other than that they avoided arbitration.

RichH55
01-17-2002, 01:44 AM
Im assuming Erstad is still in the picture, but Kapler would be more viable at this point(easier to get)...and I think Kapler would be an upgrade over the Singleton/Rowand combo

hold2dibber
01-17-2002, 02:17 PM
I couldn't agree more; not only would Kapler be cheaper, but I'd prefer him over Erstad. He's younger and, in my opinion, has much more upside. If you look at Erstad's career number, 2000, and not 2001, was the anomoly. The guy had one great year, and a bunch of mediocre years. Plus he's a free agent at the end of the season. I wouldn't even trade Garland straight up for him. I think Kapler might turn out to be a star, and you could probably get him for a few young pitchers (maybe Dan Wright and Jason Stumm, or something like that; or Wright and Howry; or Howry and Singleton). I think Kapler would be a HUGE upgrade hitting 7th (though he wouldn't solve the lead off hitter problem).

duke of dorwood
01-17-2002, 02:59 PM
:KW

Hey I can come up with 3 pitchers just like that.

duke of dorwood
01-17-2002, 03:02 PM
Well the 1 year agreement has probably set a new price for the longer term agreement he wants. I'd say was a spur of the moment trade, and with 3 pitchers gone already, its over.

RichH55
01-17-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I couldn't agree more; not only would Kapler be cheaper, but I'd prefer him over Erstad. He's younger and, in my opinion, has much more upside. If you look at Erstad's career number, 2000, and not 2001, was the anomoly. The guy had one great year, and a bunch of mediocre years. Plus he's a free agent at the end of the season. I wouldn't even trade Garland straight up for him. I think Kapler might turn out to be a star, and you could probably get him for a few young pitchers (maybe Dan Wright and Jason Stumm, or something like that; or Wright and Howry; or Howry and Singleton). I think Kapler would be a HUGE upgrade hitting 7th (though he wouldn't solve the lead off hitter problem).
I don't know what the market is on Kapler, but I think that might be a little much on him.....Wright and Strumm would be too much, hopefully some of the guys who watch the minors would have something to say about that...I would assume Singleton would go in the deal as he would fit the 4th OF role in Texas and it doesn't even matter if he whines about playing time because with that volitale(sic) lineup he is going to have to kill a man to get press time and become a distraction

Huisj
01-17-2002, 06:30 PM
As of right now, Kapler is either a 4th or 5th outfielder on Texas' team. Their starting outfield is projected to be Catalanotto, Everett, and Gonzalez. Kapler and Greer are the backups. That makes me think that he could probably be had for not a whole lot. I think Wright and Stumm and some of those other possibilities mentioned are kind of a lot. He's got good potential, and he's still just 25, but to this point in his career, he really hasn't done a whole lot, because he gets hurt an awful lot.

cornball
01-17-2002, 07:26 PM
Although i think Kapler is an improvement, i dont think the brass would go for him mainly because he bats righty.

RichH55
01-17-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
As of right now, Kapler is either a 4th or 5th outfielder on Texas' team. Their starting outfield is projected to be Catalanotto, Everett, and Gonzalez. Kapler and Greer are the backups. That makes me think that he could probably be had for not a whole lot. I think Wright and Stumm and some of those other possibilities mentioned are kind of a lot. He's got good potential, and he's still just 25, but to this point in his career, he really hasn't done a whole lot, because he gets hurt an awful lot.

All things considered...wouldn't you do Dan Wright for Kapler?

Jerry_Manuel
01-17-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
All things considered...wouldn't you do Dan Wright for Kapler?

No, I'll take my chances with Rowand or Singleton in center for one year. Then center becomes Borchard's area.

guillen4life13
01-17-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Huisj

I believe that Catalanotto plays second base.

Where the hell is Ruben Mateo? I heard he was traded, but where? That guy is like Julio Ramirez, with the ability to recognize and swing a baseball bat.

fuzzy_patters
01-17-2002, 10:44 PM
I'm not sure, but I believe Mateo is in Cincy this year.