PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 3/28/2006

Hangar18
03-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Scott Podsednik reinjuring his groin on a controversial play at the plate WASNT the big story this morning on all the news channels. Im hoping its because the Chicago Media doesnt think Scott is really hurt. Very little is being made of the incident, which is fine .............BUT wasnt there a very similar play in which the tables were turned and the SOX heavily maligned for the incident? I cant recall.

Both teams get virtually the same coverage today, but it would figure the SOX were playing the bad guys. The SOX are able to close the gap on Media Stories by only one story however, with 3 days left to make up about 40 stories (which doesnt seem likely) Mike "Yellow" Kiley makes sure to let fans know that Ny Met draft pick and flub Rookie Angel Pagan is getting some kind of "award" from flubby broadcasters. Mike Kiley also goes into his 3rd person mode immediately afterwards and raises the question of How the SOX could be out of pitchers if Buehrle pitched 7 innings? He gratuitiously mentions the "record HoHoKam record crowd of 12,894", but curiously leaving out the fact that the park was full of tons of SOX fans who padded the totals.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005 and bringing Chicago its first Championship since 1917, the SOX are not seeing the landslide coverage implied when the mostly .500, 4th and 5th place Cubs were running away with Media Coverage by a heavy margin.

Chicago Tribune:
2 cub stories
2 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
2 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings as of Tuesday March 28, 2006
Priviledged, Media-owned, 4th place in 2005................. Cubs 123
Underdog, Media-Ignored, 1st place & WS Champ 2005... SOX 121

maurice
03-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Mike Kiley also goes into his 3rd person mode immediately afterwards and raises the question of How the SOX could be out of pitchers if Buehrle pitched 7 innings?

Did he mention that Ozzie told Dusty that he was out of pitchers before the Cubs tied the game?

SOecks
03-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Did he mention that Ozzie told Dusty that he was out of pitchers before the Cubs tied the game?

...or that Dusty agreed to it on tv. It's just more positioning to the media by Dusty and the typical media spin on things to make Ozzie look like the bad guy. I just wonder what the heck is going on in Dusty's head sometimes (crickets chirping?) when he says stupid things like this. It's a ST GAME, WHO CARES Dusty?

tebman
03-28-2006, 02:59 PM
...or that Dusty agreed to it on tv. It's just more positioning to the media by Dusty and the typical media spin on things to make Ozzie look like the bad guy. I just wonder what the heck is going on in Dusty's head sometimes (crickets chirping?) when he says stupid things like this. It's a ST GAME, WHO CARES Dusty?
The key phrase is the last line. It's a spring training game! Who cares?

After the strike ended in '81, the Sox and Cubs played a couple of exhibition games on the north side. I went to one of them, and during the last couple of innings, players were taking wind sprints in right field during the game. Seemed weird, but I understood that it was an exhibition game -- little more than exercise for the players before the season re-started.

Somebody needs to explain to the Dustyman and to the Tribune what the difference is between exhibition games and Championship Season games.

WizardsofOzzie
03-31-2006, 01:37 PM
The key phrase is the last line. It's a spring training game! Who cares?

After the strike ended in '81, the Sox and Cubs played a couple of exhibition games on the north side. I went to one of them, and during the last couple of innings, players were taking wind sprints in right field during the game. Seemed weird, but I understood that it was an exhibition game -- little more than exercise for the players before the season re-started.

Somebody needs to explain to the Dustyman and to the Tribune what the difference is between exhibition games and Championship Season games.

Well when all you can win is exhibition games, i guess they are more important than regular season games. gotta let the cubs have their fun now because it sure as hell won't happen during the season