PDA

View Full Version : $171 million payroll

Paulwny
01-16-2002, 07:24 PM
By Jason Beck
SportsLine.com Staff Writer
New York Yankees
George Steinbrenner did his best Incredible Hulk impression this offseason. He turned angry, his pocketbook turned green, and he menaced the rest of the baseball world.

After $171.25 million in contracts -- not counting Luis Sojo's minor-league deal -- baseball's payroll gap became a canyon, the offense went from weak and aging to potentially amazing, and nearly half of the starting lineup was turned over.

AsInWreck
01-16-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
By Jason Beck
SportsLine.com Staff Writer
New York Yankees
George Steinbrenner did his best Incredible Hulk impression this offseason. He turned angry, his pocketbook turned green, and he menaced the rest of the baseball world.

After $171.25 million in contracts -- not counting Luis Sojo's minor-league deal -- baseball's payroll gap became a canyon, the offense went from weak and aging to potentially amazing, and nearly half of the starting lineup was turned over.

I think the author was referring to the total value of the contracts signed by the yanks this offseason, not their annual pay-roll, there, paulwny--it's still disgusting though, i have to agree

czalgosz
01-16-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck

I think the author was referring to the total value of the contracts signed by the yanks this offseason, not their annual pay-roll, there, paulwny--it's still disgusting though, i have to agree

It truly is amazing, though... the Yankees seem to have bottomless pockets, and Steinbrenner is doing his best to prove Selig correct.