PDA

View Full Version : Now that ST is winding down.

rdivaldi
03-28-2006, 12:25 AM
How have the youngsters performed in your eyes? Overall I think our system is a little thin, but there are definitely some guys that should make an impact in the big leagues.

Anderson, Sweeney, and Valido impressed me at the plate and in the field. Hopefully I've been wrong about Anderson all along and he will continue to try to hit to right field and keep his swing compact. I was mixed on Fields, he had a couple of TEP home runs that would have been long outs in most other ballparks and he still looks shaky at third. I'm also bummed about Rogowski's performance, I've rooted for the guy for a long time, but I just don't think he has the bat speed/swing to make it in the big leagues.

Logan and Broadway opened my eyes on the mound with their abilities to throw strikes and change speeds. Another guy I've been hard on is Sean Tracey, but he looked like a new guy on the mound. He's always had a strong arm, but never the consistency. It looks to me that he's changed his motion and is now able to repeat it consistently. Lumsden looked awesome at times but got hit hard as well. I thought he might be tipping his pitches because there were quite a few nice pitches he made that got ripped. I also wasn't sure what to make of Liotta, his velocity seemed down and I didn't see a lot of snap on his offspeed stuff.

What did the rest of you guys see?

Randar68
03-28-2006, 02:24 PM
How have the youngsters performed in your eyes? Overall I think our system is a little thin, but there are definitely some guys that should make an impact in the big leagues.

Anderson, Sweeney, and Valido impressed me at the plate and in the field. Hopefully I've been wrong about Anderson all along and he will continue to try to hit to right field and keep his swing compact. I was mixed on Fields, he had a couple of TEP home runs that would have been long outs in most other ballparks and he still looks shaky at third. I'm also bummed about Rogowski's performance, I've rooted for the guy for a long time, but I just don't think he has the bat speed/swing to make it in the big leagues.

Logan and Broadway opened my eyes on the mound with their abilities to throw strikes and change speeds. Another guy I've been hard on is Sean Tracey, but he looked like a new guy on the mound. He's always had a strong arm, but never the consistency. It looks to me that he's changed his motion and is now able to repeat it consistently. Lumsden looked awesome at times but got hit hard as well. I thought he might be tipping his pitches because there were quite a few nice pitches he made that got ripped. I also wasn't sure what to make of Liotta, his velocity seemed down and I didn't see a lot of snap on his offspeed stuff.

What did the rest of you guys see?

Anderson: Never been concerned about him hitting at this level and he's done nothing to make me concerned.

Sweeney: Impressive as always in the spring. Let's hope he stays healthy and shows some of that power he flashed during the season. I think he's only about a year away, which will force the decision on Dye in the next offseason.

Valido: The defense was GREAT and effortless as always. Played with poise but struggled down the stretch. Did nothing to degrade his projection as a #2 hitter at the MLB level in my eyes.

Fields: Important thing was his plate discipline. He was taking the low/outside pitches and driving the outter-half pitches he could handle into RF. He's an easy out when he gets pull-conscious. Still has work to do and still has some consistency issues in the field.

Broadway: As advertised. Polished and experienced he just gets guys out.

Liotta: didn't see him pitch

Tracey: Bullpen is his future and I still think he can succeed in that role after his performance this spring.

Rogo: About what I've come to expect. He has to make some changes to get past the AAAA player he currently is.

Logan: ***? I sure hope he has some kind of epiphany in the past 5 months and that this is how he will pitch all year. Unreal the changes this guy's made.

Lummy: Looked like his stuff was back but he's still short on experience. I would love to see him get a lot of innings in at AA and come back in the bullpen in August/September.

Owens: Sure looks like an MLB hitter/OF'er to me.

Reynoso: ARGH. Guy frustrates the hell out me. Hope he can continue to progress because he's so talented, but man, hope he somehow figures it out this year.

Fungo
03-28-2006, 02:35 PM
I've got a lot of the same opinions as yours rdivaldi. Sweeney and Valido I like a lot and as you said, I hope Anderson stays with his swing. Those who think his defense won't be what we had with Rowand are kidding themselves. of all the games I was able to catch this Spring Training, I still haven't seen Boone Logan pitch. Tracey has looked good and hopefully he is starting to harness his control. I'm glad your opinion on Broadway has shifted a bit. I remember you were/are a big Carrillo fan. Still hard to say who will have the better career, but I think Broadway will have a very solid career. Time will tell. Lumsden is another I think will be good as well, if the injury bug doesn't bite. And if Coop can do anything with Thornton, that kid can be a stud. I also have a feeling Josh Fields will be another disappointment.

rdivaldi
03-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Owens: Sure looks like an MLB hitter/OF'er to me.

I actually wasn't sure what to make of Owens. He looked comfortable and smooth at the plate, but he wasn't making solid contact. Guess it was too small of a sample size (in terms of at bats) for me to make a good evaluation.

rdivaldi
03-28-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm glad your opinion on Broadway has shifted a bit. I remember you were/are a big Carrillo fan. Still hard to say who will have the better career, but I think Broadway will have a very solid career. Time will tell.

And if Coop can do anything with Thornton, that kid can be a stud. I also have a feeling Josh Fields will be another disappointment.

I'd still lay my money on Carrillo having the better career, but Broadway looked just outstanding on the bump this spring. He was throwing everything for strikes.

I also agree about Thorton (even though he's too old to be a prospect). What an arm.