PDA

View Full Version : The Dodgers to pursue Howry?

jklm
01-16-2002, 06:52 PM
http://www.dailynewslosangeles.com/sports/articles/0102/16/spo02.asp

The Dodgers also plan to bolster their pursuit of a closer -- either Boston's Ugueth Urbina or Bobby Howry of the Chicago White Sox, baseball sources said.

The team has a glut of starting pitchers, which means a starter is likely to go in a trade for a closer.

The Dodgers believe they can either acquire Urbina for Daal or Howry for a pitcher, most likely Gagne, sources said. Howry saved 28 games and had a 3.59 ERA for the White Sox in 1999 but lost his job to Keith Foulke. Urbina was 2-2 with a 3.64 and 24 saves with Montreal and Boston.

"There's still areas that we'll continue to look at improving this team but I think we also have a strength to draw from," Dodgers manager Jim Tracy said. "I think that's very important because we've created some flexibility to be able to do that."

WinningUgly!
01-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by jklm
http://www.dailynewslosangeles.com/sports/articles/0102/16/spo02.asp

The Dodgers also plan to bolster their pursuit of a closer -- either Boston's Ugueth Urbina or Bobby Howry of the Chicago White Sox, baseball sources said.

The team has a glut of starting pitchers, which means a starter is likely to go in a trade for a closer.

The Dodgers believe they can either acquire Urbina for Daal or Howry for a pitcher, most likely Gagne, sources said. Howry saved 28 games and had a 3.59 ERA for the White Sox in 1999 but lost his job to Keith Foulke. Urbina was 2-2 with a 3.64 and 24 saves with Montreal and Boston.

"There's still areas that we'll continue to look at improving this team but I think we also have a strength to draw from," Dodgers manager Jim Tracy said. "I think that's very important because we've created some flexibility to be able to do that."

Maybe we can get the other Berry/Barry for Howry? Hell, I'd take Chuck Berry for Howry :D:

jklm
01-16-2002, 07:02 PM
Evans will teach KW something new...

Daver
01-16-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by jklm
Evans will teach KW something new...

Like how to give away Gary Sheffeild?

Evans has made some horrible deals this off season.

czalgosz
01-16-2002, 07:08 PM
That would be great if the Sox got Eric Gagne for Bob Howry. Howry is a better pitcher than his performance last year showed, and I think he'll bounce back, but Gagne is a stud. For some reason, the Dodgers don't seem interested in his services - they've been jerking him around for the last two years.

Jerry_Manuel
01-16-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by daver
Like how to give away Gary Sheffeild?

Evans has made some horrible deals this off season.

Damn right Daver, I'm tired of all the people who kiss his ass.

Chisox_cali
01-16-2002, 07:26 PM
http://dodgers.mlb.com/la/photo/62x75/evans.jpg
"I am a complete Idiot"

doublem23
01-16-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
That would be great if the Sox got Eric Gagne for Bob Howry. Howry is a better pitcher than his performance last year showed, and I think he'll bounce back, but Gagne is a stud. For some reason, the Dodgers don't seem interested in his services - they've been jerking him around for the last two years.

You're making too much sense for Kenny, czal...

dougs78
01-16-2002, 10:04 PM
You know I'll be honest, I dont watch NL ball, so I don't know much about the dodgers pitchers. But from reading that article it sounds like a Howry and Clayton deal would give them their shortstop as well. I think that is a reasonable package we'd be giving up so I could see us getting one of those starters and perhaps a good minor league position player in exchange.

the only thing that worries me is that it would create even more of a reliance on some of our relievers coming off of injury. If that is the case then they certainly need to come back healthy or we are going to have charlottes starters in the bullpen this year. I know it worked with buehrle, but I'm not convinced thats always the best ways for guys to grow.

fuzzy_patters
01-16-2002, 11:52 PM
:KW

"Sure, Dan, Greg Gagne sounds great. He's an excellent young pitcher."

bjmarte
01-17-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
[F]rom reading that article it sounds like a Howry and Clayton deal would give them their shortstop as well. I think that is a reasonable package we'd be giving up so I could see us getting one of those starters and perhaps a good minor league position player in exchange.

I got so excited reading this I almost wet myself :gulp:

RichH55
01-17-2002, 01:47 AM
You know I'll be honest, I dont watch NL ball, so I don't know much about the dodgers pitchers. But from reading that article it sounds like a Howry and Clayton deal would give them their shortstop as well. I think that is a reasonable package we'd be giving up so I could see us getting one of those starters and perhaps a good minor league position player in exchange.

the only thing that worries me is that it would create even more of a reliance on some of our relievers coming off of injury. If that is the case then they certainly need to come back healthy or we are going to have charlottes starters in the bullpen this year. I know it worked with buehrle, but I'm not convinced thats always the best ways for guys to grow.

Howry wasnt exactly automatic last year, and from what I read still not wholly healed....however if you add a nice starting pitcher you wind up using the bullpen less often and you can help it in that manner

kermittheefrog
01-17-2002, 03:34 AM

The Dodgers aren't in the market for a shortstop right now, they traded for Cesar Izturis, a top shortstop prospect earlier in the offseason.

bjmarte
01-17-2002, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

The Dodgers aren't in the market for a shortstop right now, they traded for Cesar Izturis, a top shortstop prospect earlier in the offseason.

Hey come on now. Don't burst my bubble. Let me go one night pretending that it is possible the Royce Clayton nightmare will be over soon.

RichH55
01-17-2002, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

But that all depends on if they think this is the year for Cesar, and on that I'm not certain. Royce would be a short term answer and you would have to think he would add more to the club than Pokey Reese(who they are also rumored to be after)...Howry keeps popping up with LA in the story...Evans does know Howry better than most and he needs relievers and Gagne would appear expendable...I could definately see something like a Howry/Clayton for say Gagne/Krueter...it would at least make sense..and really add something tangible to that Evans/KW debate most of us have somewhere in our heads

dougs78
01-17-2002, 07:00 AM

Kermit, you may want to take a peek at the article...I think the first line might clarify your concern. :D:

RedPinStripes
01-17-2002, 08:11 AM
Let Howry go! Please!!!!!!!

I don't know much about Gagne, but his numbers don't impress me.

pearso66
01-17-2002, 09:36 AM
i dont know much about any of the Dodgers pitchers, but i dont really want to let Howry go, you know Manuel's theory about letting pitchers only pitch 6 innings, and then going to the bull pen, we may need howry. If they still had JB id like to see us get him back, he wasnt always great, but at times he was unbeatable.

If they add royce to the deal, i'll take anybody to get him off the team, and valentine back to short

Tragg
01-17-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

I could definately see something like a Howry/Clayton for say Gagne/Krueter...

We'll end up with Greg Gagne and Freddie Krueger.
:KW

"The trade goes"

I like Gagne, I think people underrate Howry, and I have no use for Kreuter.

bjmarte
01-17-2002, 11:49 AM
If they add royce to the deal, i'll take anybody to get him off the team, and valentine back to short

I like the way you talk :smile:

Welcome to the board.

Soxboyrob
01-17-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I don't know much about Gagne, but his numbers don't impress me.

Gagne....not bad.
k/bb ratio in '01....2.83, pretty good.
ERA in '01..........4.75, not too good, but an improvement over '00.
Innings in '01.....155, not bad.
hits given up per inning pitched..... about .90....pretty good.

The guy is young and improving. He looks like he can possibly bring the same thing to the table the Ritchie does. Perhaps more. If we can get a guy like that for Howry or anything similar to Howry, jump on it right now. He seems a little prone to giving up homers, but otherwise any pitcher giving up less than one hit per inning with a WHIP ratio of 1.23 as a starter last season is well worth considering.

nut_stock
01-17-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

He seems a little prone to giving up homers,

Oh well, I'm used to it, remember JB? (speaking of, has he signed anywhere yet?)

longshot7
01-17-2002, 01:03 PM
As the (self-appointed) resident Dodgers expert, I'm throwing my two cents in here.

Howry for Gagne has been rumored for awhile...
Gagne is very similar to Kip Wells - lots of potential, nothing has shown as yet

I'd do a Howry/Clayton deal, but the Dodgers would want to get rid of one of their headaches - either Marquis Grissom or Tom Goodwin, or another shortstop bust, Alex Cora. Would you do a Howry/Clayton/minorleaguer deal for Gagne/Goodwin/Cora? I don't know about that... I think the Blue are trying to trade Omar Daal as well. I wouldn't want him either. If only the Sox got Gary Sheffield..... oh well...

kermittheefrog
01-17-2002, 02:04 PM

Kermit, you may want to take a peek at the article...I think the first line might clarify your concern. :D:

I know but really if Izturis isn't ready this year what the hell was Evans doing? The deal was bad enough if Izturis is ready.

longshot7
01-17-2002, 05:49 PM
Ipturzis isn't ready. They're going after Pokey Reese.

Jerry_Manuel
01-17-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
Ipturzis isn't ready. They're going after Pokey Reese.

Doesn't Evans know he's bad? He's not horrible, but his bat as Kermit mentioned before is Ray Ordonez like.

guillen4life13
01-17-2002, 08:30 PM
idk much about dodger pitchers, but I think instead of asking for someone like gagne, maybe they could go clayton/howry for nomo, or someone else. Gagne might also be a good trade, with a prospect or something.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Daver
01-17-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

I have that copyrighted,expect to hear from my lawyers.

RichH55
01-17-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
idk much about dodger pitchers, but I think instead of asking for someone like gagne, maybe they could go clayton/howry for nomo, or someone else. Gagne might also be a good trade, with a prospect or something.

I wouldnt expect Nomo to be there for us....I mean how often is a guy just signed as a FA get dealt before playing a game for his signing team? But that Gagne rumor makes more sense to me everyday

AsInWreck
01-18-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by daver

I have that copyrighted,expect to hear from my lawyers.

Do you have this line copyrighted as well?