PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Nelson released

Jjav829
03-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Cardinals released RHP Jeff Nelson.
A shocker. Nelson apparently struggled in a minor league game last week, but he had allowed one hit over 5 1/3 scoreless innings in major league games. His phone will probably be ringing off the hook for the next couple of days. Nelson's departure appears to clear the way for Josh Hancock to win a bullpen spt.

Anyone interested? He's not what he used to be, but he held righties to a .196 BAA last year. With Hermie hurting, I wouldn't be opposed to giving Nelson a look.

Unregistered
03-26-2006, 09:56 PM
KW better get on this. I always thought this guy was a douche (which may be why he was released), but we need some veteran help in the 'pen...

Lip Man 1
03-26-2006, 10:10 PM
In a heartbeat!!! Pick up the phone Kenny!!!!!

Lip

santo=dorf
03-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Left handers crushed him last year, but I would certainly take him over Redding.

McCarthy
Cotts
Jenks
Politte
Nelson
Logan
Lopez/Thorton

Looks fine to me.

Ol' No. 2
03-26-2006, 10:30 PM
I always liked Nelson, but at 39, he's a little too much of a veteran. I was pretty surprised he turned in a good year last year after a rough 2004 (knee injury IIRC), but the 3.93 ERA is a little deceptive. The 1.47 WHIP is a bit more pedestrian. He was always a power pitcher, but the BB are up a little, and he's no longer good for 10 K/9 anymore, neither of which is a good sign. But they could do a lot worse, too.

Tragg
03-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Left handers crushed him last year, but I would certainly take him over Redding.

Good gracious, tell me that gas can Redding isn't making this ball club.

KRS1
03-26-2006, 10:47 PM
I remember him pitching against us last year, but I dont recall anything more than that. Is anyone in the know about where his stuff is at now, or where it was last season?

Also, I think Redding is starting to look darn good lately. Despite the first batter homerun he gave up today, he still had some good movement on his pitches. His slider is getting more lively even in the AZ air, and he is spotting his fastballs nicely. If he can start to touch the mid-90's and retain the control he has flashed, he could be back.

Tragg
03-26-2006, 11:07 PM
. If he can start to touch the mid-90's and retain the control he has flashed, he could be back. Back? There's nothing to come back from. He's pitched in 5 seasons and ONCE has sported an ERA below FIVE. His best WHIP is 1.39.
He's dangerous.

I don't follow the spring to closely, but I'm really shocked that he could make this team. We're already talking about a guy who pitched poorly for Seattle and an inexperienced rookie.

DaleJRFan
03-26-2006, 11:28 PM
I remember him pitching against us last year, but I dont recall anything more than that. Is anyone in the know about where his stuff is at now, or where it was last season?

Also, I think Redding is starting to look darn good lately. Despite the first batter homerun he gave up today, he still had some good movement on his pitches. His slider is getting more lively even in the AZ air, and he is spotting his fastballs nicely. If he can start to touch the mid-90's and retain the control he has flashed, he could be back.

Is it just me or is Redding REAL bad against the first batter? He always seems to give up a long homer, a double or walk... but then he settles in. This can't be a good sign, for a guy vying for a relief spot.

goofymsfan
03-27-2006, 07:33 AM

M's fans would begin to wince whenever he was called into a game. While his ERA might be low. He allowed a bunch of inheritted runners to score. He is not at all the pitcher he used to be. Towards the end of the season he wasn't asked to pitch much if at all. I think the Sox could do better than Nellie.

drewcifer
03-27-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't think Nelson would be a bad pick up. We seem to do well with ex-Yankee pitchers.

Plus, I was just looking at his splits - He's pitched fairly well against the AL Central throughout his career.

wilburaga
03-27-2006, 01:52 PM
I'd get him just to pitch to that big fellow in Oakland.

W

TDog
03-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Why was he released?

The answer might determine whether I would want to pick him up.

drewcifer
03-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Why was he released?

The answer might determine whether I would want to pick him up.
$$$$

Supposedly pitched pretty well in ST, but not $800K well.

Linky (http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060326&content_id=1363406&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl)

JimEdmonds15
03-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Leaving the ball UP all spring could have spelt disaster once the hitters came around to the pitches.. he was great this spring but he had disaster written all over him.. Also didnt help that Josh Hancock, Brian Falkenborg, and Alan Benes had pitched about just as good..

soxinem1
03-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Leaving the ball UP all spring could have spelt disaster once the hitters came around to the pitches.. he was great this spring but he had disaster written all over him.. Also didnt help that Josh Hancock, Brian Falkenborg, and Alan Benes had pitched about just as good..

We should try to get Benes from STL, he may be one of the better options out there, even if only for the short term. He just might help.

If not, we'll have to suffice for Rick Bottalico!:rolleyes:

Chicken Dinner
03-28-2006, 03:00 PM

McCarthy
Cotts
Jenks
Politte
Nelson
Logan
Lopez/Thorton

Looks fine to me.

Too many pitchers. Only taking 11 out of camp. There's only going to be 6 in the pen.

TheVulture
03-29-2006, 04:36 AM
hmmm, Nelson, Thornton, Redding, some kid from A ball... Suddenly, Marte doesn't seem so bad after all.