PDA

View Full Version : Roster down to 28

sox1970
03-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Right-handed pitcher Sean Tracey was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte following Sunday's victory, while left-handed pitcher Armando Almanza, infielders Andy Gonzalez and Robert Valido, catcher Gustavo Molina and outfielder Ryan Sweeney were reassigned to Minor League camp. The White Sox have 28 players remaining in camp.

All that appears to be left is cutting Redding and Lopez, and putting Hermanson on the DL.

delben91
03-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Right-handed pitcher Sean Tracey was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte following Sunday's victory, while left-handed pitcher Armando Almanza, infielders Andy Gonzalez and Robert Valido, catcher Gustavo Molina and outfielder Ryan Sweeney were reassigned to Minor League camp. The White Sox have 28 players remaining in camp.

All that appears to be left is cutting Redding and Lopez, and putting Hermanson on the DL.

Do either Redding or Lopez have options left so that we could stash them in AAA in case Logan doesn't pan out?

JohnBasedowYoda
03-26-2006, 07:45 PM
i liked what I've seen out of #77 Robert Valido

Foulke You
03-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Do either Redding or Lopez have options left so that we could stash them in AAA in case Logan doesn't pan out?
That would be nice. I'd also be interested in finding the answer to this. Logan almost seems too good to be true. He is pitching great now but until I see him do it in front of 40,000 people on the big stage, I'll feel a bit uneasy.

Banix12
03-26-2006, 08:27 PM
That would be nice. I'd also be interested in finding the answer to this. Logan almost seems too good to be true. He is pitching great now but until I see him do it in front of 40,000 people on the big stage, I'll feel a bit uneasy.

I'm pretty sure both Redding and Lopez were originally signed to Minor league contracts so they can be sent to AAA without any problem

Ol' No. 2
03-26-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm pretty sure both Redding and Lopez were originally signed to Minor league contracts so they can be sent to AAA without any problemBoth are listed as NRI.

Lip Man 1
03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Two things...

What is NRI?

Second as No. 2 said last week Logan has never shown any dominance in the minor leagues which certainly gives pause for thought. What has changed with him is the arm angle of his delivery. Is it a 'gimmick' a la Shingo? We'll find out soon enough.

I hope Kenny's keeping an eye on the waiver wire list.

Lip

RadioheadRocks
03-26-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm pretty sure NRI is Non-Roster Invitee.

jongarlandlover
03-26-2006, 09:02 PM
I like Logan, but I hope we could call up Redding or Lopez if he falters during the season.

delben91
03-26-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm pretty sure NRI is Non-Roster Invitee.

Yeah, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if they are NRI, that means they aren't on the 40 man roster, and thus would've been signed to an exclusively minor league contract that the Sox would have to purchase if they made the big club? This means Redding and Lopez can be assigned to AAA without having to clear waivers?

KRS1
03-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Yeah, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if they are NRI, that means they aren't on the 40 man roster, and thus would've been signed to an exclusively minor league contract that the Sox would have to purchase if they made the big club? This means Redding and Lopez can be assigned to AAA without having to clear waivers?

What you said is correct, with the exception being the type of contract signed by Redding. His deal with us allows him to void his contract and choose FA, should he fail to make the 25-man out of camp. So if we dont bring him with us, I'm pretty sure he'll chose free agency.

infohawk
03-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Second as No. 2 said last week Logan has never shown any dominance in the minor leagues which certainly gives pause for thought. What has changed with him is the arm angle of his delivery. Is it a 'gimmick' a la Shingo? We'll find out soon enough.
Lip
I think that the key distinction between Logan and Shingo is that Shingo relied on the funky angle exclusively because he didn't have high velocity on his pitches. I think Logan throws in the low-90s, so he's not all about the delivery.

thomas35forever
03-26-2006, 10:16 PM
How long have both Redding and Lopez been in the majors? I would go with whoever has more experience.

Ol' No. 2
03-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Two things...

What is NRI?

I hope Kenny's keeping an eye on the waiver wire list.

LipSometimes a radical change in arm angle is a gimmick. Kelly Wunsch is a good example. He was languishing in the minor leagues and probably would never have never got out of AA until he adopted the funky delivery. It was good for a few times around the league and that's about it.

OTOH, much of Contreras' success last year was due to a small change in arm angle. Sometimes it can improve control and it usually gives a little more movement on pitches. Logan's change is more of a three-quarters delivery - nowhere near as radical as Wunsch or Chad Bradford.

Also, Shingo's problem wasn't that the league "figured him out". He just couldn't throw strikes and he doesn't have the kind of stuff that can be effective pitching behind in the count. He mostly got killed on 2-0 and 3-0.

DrCrawdad
03-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Sometimes a radical change in arm angle is a gimmick. Kelly Wunsch is a good example. He was languishing in the minor leagues and probably would never have never got out of AA until he adopted the funky delivery. It was good for a few times around the league and that's about it.

OTOH, much of Contreras' success last year was due to a small change in arm angle. Sometimes it can improve control and it usually gives a little more movement on pitches. Logan's change is more of a three-quarters delivery - nowhere near as radical as Wunsch or Chad Bradford.

Also, Shingo's problem wasn't that the league "figured him out". He just couldn't throw strikes and he doesn't have the kind of stuff that can be effective pitching behind in the count. He mostly got killed on 2-0 and 3-0.

Where is Shingo now? Is he pitching for a Japanese major league team?

Ol' No. 2
03-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Where is Shingo now? Is he pitching for a Japanese major league team?He re-signed with his original team in Japan.

lostletters
03-27-2006, 01:44 AM
Actually I read an article on this somewhere.

Logan's change in delivery actually IMPROVED his velocity significantly, which made a meidocre guy, into a potentially dominant MLB pitcher. Sometimes a simple thing as a change in arm angle can have earth shattering results and completely turn around a ballplayers career and make him seem unbelievable.

I think Logan may be the real deal. He has earned a spot on this team, and deserves to be there opening day. The battle is now for the remaining pitching spot(s) that Hermy opened up with his injury. Because Logan won the battle of the lefties.

Whoever it is, the bullpen looks stronger then it did a few days ago and I am not as nervous. I think Lopez is looking better and may be a good option if Thorton or Logan do not pan out.

Corlose 15
03-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Another player that benefited greatly from a change in arm angle was Sandy Koufax. Hawk was talking about this during the game yesterday, he couldn't throw strikes and was ready to quit and a bp catcher he was working with told him to raise his arm up higher and suddenly he could "throw it through a teacup".

BanditJimmy
03-27-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure if I'm the only one here to think this way, but I prefer Redding staying up here and McCarthy going back down to AAA to be a starter and continue to develop as one. He is no where close to being a ML relief pitcher right now, his mind appears to not be set to this.

Anyone else think this way?

Mickster
03-27-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure if I'm the only one here to think this way, but I prefer Redding staying up here and Fingernails on a blackboard going back down to AAA to be a starter and continue to develop as one. He is no where close to being a ML relief pitcher right now, his mind appears to not be set to this.

Anyone else think this way?

Not at all.

russ99
03-27-2006, 10:54 AM
3/27 Current Roster:

Starters:
Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, Garland, Nomo(cut yet??), Vazquez

Relievers:
Cotts, Hermanson(DL), Jenks, Logan, Lopez, McCarthy, Politte, Redding, Thornton

Catchers:
Pierzynski, Widger

Infielders:
Cintron, Crede, Gload, Iguchi, Konerko, Ozuna, Uribe

Outfielders:
Anderson, Dye, Mackowiak, Podsednik

DH:
Thome

sox1970
03-27-2006, 11:02 AM
3/27 Current Roster:

Starters:
Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, Garland, Nomo(cut yet??), Vazquez

Nomo isn't on the spring training roster, so he doesn't need to be cut. He's already in the minor league camp and has been brought up to pitch a couple times.

DaleJRFan
03-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Actually I read an article on this somewhere.

Logan's change in delivery actually IMPROVED his velocity significantly, which made a meidocre guy, into a potentially dominant MLB pitcher. Sometimes a simple thing as a change in arm angle can have earth shattering results and completely turn around a ballplayers career and make him seem unbelievable.

I think Logan may be the real deal. He has earned a spot on this team, and deserves to be there opening day. The battle is now for the remaining pitching spot(s) that Hermy opened up with his injury. Because Logan won the battle of the lefties.

Whoever it is, the bullpen looks stronger then it did a few days ago and I am not as nervous. I think Lopez is looking better and may be a good option if Thorton or Logan do not pan out.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm wondering what's up with all of the negativity surrounding Logan making the team. I've heard from lots of my Sox-fan friends and people I work with, stuff like, "if he makes the team, we know we got problems." What's wrong with a young kid making the team? If changing his arm angle has helped his delivery and velocity, then so be it. He's effective.

The thing I noticed about Logan is he throws a variety of fastballs, not just a straight 88 mph fastball. He throws a cutter around 86-88 that moves in hard on righties and a straight fastball around 90-92. He keeps his pitches down in the zone and around the plate. He commands 3 different pitches and works quickly, keeping the ball in play and not allowing batters to get too many good looks, changing speeds and location.

I really like this guy and I think we are in for a big surprise. Granted he doesn't have the stuff to big a strike out pitcher, but Cotts does. When Ozzie needs a ground out or a pop out, Logan's the guy to go to. When Ozzie needs a K, Cotts is the guy.

Honestly, the Sox are better off with Cotts/Logan than they were last season with Marte/Cotts and I think that time and real games will show this.

I'm excited about Logan's emergence.

russ99
03-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Nomo isn't on the spring training roster, so he doesn't need to be cut. He's already in the minor league camp and has been brought up to pitch a couple times.

So it comes down to 2 spots for relievers: Logan, Lopez, Redding and Thornton.

MLB Stat comparison:
link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=cws&section1=1&section2=1&section3=1&statSet1=null&statSet2=1&statSet3=null&statType=2&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=23&baseballScope=null&prevPage2=1&readBoxes=true&subScope=teamCode&teamPosCode=cha&box3=XXXX400062chaX&box4=XXXX425657chaX&box6=XXXX457429chaX&box9=XXXX407819chaX&compare.x=12&compare.y=10)

Logan has great numbers this spring, Thornton has no more options and Lopez has pitched better than Redding (especially in K/9 and Opp.Avg.) It will be interesting to see which 2 they keep.

sox1970
03-27-2006, 12:58 PM
So it comes down to 2 spots for relievers: Logan, Lopez, Redding and Thornton.
Logan has great numbers this spring, Thornton has no more options and Lopez has pitched better than Redding (especially in K/9 and Opp.Avg.) It will be interesting to see which 2 they keep.

I think they are trying to trade Redding today, and if they don't, he'll be released. Lopez is probably sticking around as a "just in case", but I think the decision has already been made to keep Gload and Logan. Thornton there is no question he's made this team.

lostletters
03-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I think Lopez will be around in AAA just in case. Redding may be gone soon.

Logan is in, Thorton is in. (Supposably he has been steadily improving with the help of Don Cooper. His last outing was supposably good. Coop made him change his delivery).

sox1970
03-27-2006, 02:24 PM
I think Lopez will be around in AAA just in case. Redding may be gone soon.

Logan is in, Thorton is in. (Supposably he has been steadily improving with the help of Don Cooper. His last outing was supposably good. Coop made him change his delivery).

Supposably?

Corlose 15
03-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Supposably?

:cool: Be careful Kittle42 might not take kindly to you taking his job.

sox1970
03-27-2006, 02:55 PM
:cool: Be careful Kittle42 might not take kindly to you taking his job.

Oh I'll take that job. If I see "alot" one more time....