PDA

View Full Version : Question about minor league training camp...

miker
03-26-2006, 06:20 PM
How does it work? Is it for all the minor league teams or do the different levels (AAA, AA, A, Rookie) have different camps? Does it even mean anything for the late starting A and Rookie league teams?

Please advise. Thank you.

ondafarm
03-27-2006, 10:11 PM
I can tell you how it works in Japan.

We all (as in major leaguers/ minor leaguers and all) started out in one camp for a few days. There was some interaction with players from other levels. Gradually, guys at lower levels, and less likely to be called up in case of injury, were re-assigned to a minor league camp. When I and several guys who would form the core of the AA team got dropped down, the minor league camp had been thru a couple of weeks of drills, on fundamentals and teamwork and strategy. We got put into the drills for a couple of days and then we started getting selected out to work more with each other, I began catching the AA pitching staff almost exclusively within three weeks of the start of camp. I occasionaly worked with junior level catchers for the final three weeks of ST. There was always a competition for the different positions, but the teams were mostly solidified by the third week of camp. We worked together as a team (AA for me) for roughly three weeks, occasionaly a player moved during ST and we all shared to some degree the training area which had multiple fields. Perhaps one afternoon a week I worked with all the other catchers in the orgainzation, talking strategy, technique and then getting batting practice together. It gave everyone a good idea where you ranked in the organization, why you belonged there and what you had to do to move up.