PDA

View Full Version : Bagwell acknowledges he might 'never play again'

mjmcend
03-26-2006, 01:14 AM
"Houston Astros (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=hou) first baseman Jeff Bagwell (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4626) said Saturday he will start the season on the disabled list and isn't sure if he'll return this year.
"I may never play again," he said. "It's been 15 years with the Astros. I have to do what's best for me, what's best for the Astros and best for baseball." -- ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2383575

This is really some tough news. I was hoping he would have a good comeback year (even though it was a very remote possibilty) because he and Frank were pretty mcuch seperated at birth. He always was a classy guy and its tough to see a hall of famer end his career like this.

Steelrod
03-26-2006, 04:33 AM
What's best for the Astros was to gracefully retire!

tlebar318
03-26-2006, 07:44 AM
I just saw him play down here in Spring Training and his bat looked ok but when he was playing first you could see he was laboring when he had to throw...maybe he could return and be a full time DH in the AL? Best of luck to a genuine good guy and competitor!

drewcifer
03-27-2006, 02:06 PM
I heard this on XM this morning... Shoulder replacement surgery (??) and then on to retirement.

Ouch!

SoLongFrank
03-27-2006, 02:30 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3749816.html
Bagwell & Thomas have been linked together throughout their careers mostly because their numbers are so similar. But now if Thomas can put together a couple of more healthy seasons he should distance himself quite a bit from Jeff.

I found it odd that Jeff's home is not in Houston. He's made plenty of $ so he doesn't have to work another day in his life, but it does seem he's not likely to coach either.

MUsoxfan
03-27-2006, 02:41 PM

I agree. He doesn't care about the Astros. If he did, he would have left when they begged him to

palehozenychicty
03-27-2006, 02:45 PM

Indeed, so they can get a couple hitters and a pitcher.

SoLongFrank
03-28-2006, 02:32 PM
The insurance company is contesting the claim. This story figures to linger all season long.

TDog
03-28-2006, 03:57 PM
The insurance company is contesting the claim. This story figures to linger all season long.

If the Astros had left him off the postseason roster, they would have a better argument in their insurance claim. They also might have had a better chance of winning one of the close games against the Sox.

Jeff Bagwell and Frank Thomas are linked not just because of their numbers, but because they were born on the same day. Whether you like it or not, and whether it's because Thomas played in Chicago (for the wrong team, some would say) or because he had trouble dealing with people in the media, most people will always consider Bagwell the classier of the two.

chaerulez
03-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Bagwell is entitled to every penny he signed for. The Astros were foolish enough to give him that contract so now they shouldn't be whining because he's hurt.

drewcifer
03-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Bagwell is entitled to every penny he signed for. The Astros were foolish enough to give him that contract so now they shouldn't be whining because he's hurt.
You kind of got a point here. They guaranteed him and let themselves get man handled into that contract. Bags has been struggling with that shoulder for how long now???? 5 years or so at least....

At least with Frank, we had a buyout clause.

They should've fought the fight before ST. Bringing him down and carrying on the charade just causes doubt....

Someone before said that this is going to carry out all season... I absolutely agree. :nod:

mjmcend
03-28-2006, 08:16 PM
You kind of got a point here. They guaranteed him and let themselves get man handled into that contract. Bags has been struggling with that shoulder for how long now???? 5 years or so at least....

They should've fought the fight before ST. Bringing him down and carrying on the charade just causes doubt....

Someone before said that this is going to carry out all season... I absolutely agree. :nod:

The Astros didn't want Bagwell to come to spring training, they wanted him to hang them up without even trying. In my opinoin, Bagwell had every right to see if he could still play. It's too bad that he most likely can't.

russ99
03-28-2006, 08:40 PM

Bagwell heavily deferred his contract multiple times so the Astros could get Randy Johnson and other quality players. He totally deserves all 15 million, and he'll get it. The question here is if the insurance company can keep from paying the claim because Bagwell isn't "disabled".

I saw him play a week and a half ago, he can't throw the ball at all. I think this insurance suit will be settled.

Regardless, this a horrible way for such a great player to end his career, basically stuck on the 60 day DL all season. I think there's an option for next year on his contract also, so the Astros may also be on the hook for a Frank-like buyout this fall to let him retire. Who knows, maybe he'll try to DH next season in the AL.

drewcifer
03-28-2006, 08:47 PM
The Astros didn't want Bagwell to come to spring training, they wanted him to hang them up without even trying. In my opinoin, Bagwell had every right to see if he could still play. It's too bad that he most likely can't.
That's not true. They could've had a "doctor opinion" fight before ST and forced him to prove his health.

They didn't because they didn't want to cause a frenzy over Jeff's service time/excellent career with Houston.

Don't get me wrong - I admire the loyalty. But it's gonna cost them now.

drewcifer
03-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Bagwell heavily deferred his contract multiple times so the Astros could get Randy Johnson and other quality players. He totally deserves all 15 million, and he'll get it.
Well, yeah. He gets paid regardless. Astros were just trying recoup some of that from insurance. Jeff's not gonna get stuck... ????

The question here is if the insurance company can keep from paying the claim because Bagwell isn't "disabled".
I'm not sure if you've been following this story or not, but it's been made pretty clear that if they invite him, they're giving the insurance company room to argue. It was a dumb move. Put his career and loyalty to the Astros aside and look at it from a biz perspective...

]I saw him play a week and a half ago, he can't throw the ball at all. I think this insurance suit will be settled.
Let's hope, but them playing this smart from the beginning would've brought closure quicker. EVERYONE knew he couldn't play. Let's hope the Astro's don't get f**cked now, because they were cool about it. That's a ton of cash we're talking about....

Regardless, this a horrible way for such a great player to end his career, basically stuck on the 60 day DL all season. I think there's an option for next year on his contract also, so the Astros may also be on the hook for a Frank-like buyout this fall to let him retire. Who knows, maybe he'll try to DH next season in the AL.
I agree that it's a bad way to end. Jeff's fault. Should've bowed out and helped the Astro's recoup their $$$ which I think a few people were alluding too. He's guaranteed so what does it matter? But now... This mess can hurt their chances for a 2nd shot at a championship based on the expense of his huge contract and having to pay him without a substitute!

What the f**k should Bagwell care who's $16M it is? So, a big chunk of it is insurance money. So what? It's American money.... Astros could've recouped a little and made a move.

This was dumb. On everyone's part.

russ99
03-29-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure if you've been following this story or not, but it's been made pretty clear that if they invite him, they're giving the insurance company room to argue. It was a dumb move. Put his career and loyalty to the Astros aside and look at it from a biz perspective...

Let's hope, but them playing this smart from the beginning would've brought closure quicker. EVERYONE knew he couldn't play. Let's hope the Astro's don't get f**cked now, because they were cool about it. That's a ton of cash we're talking about....

I agree that it's a bad way to end. Jeff's fault. Should've bowed out and helped the Astro's recoup their $$$ which I think a few people were alluding too. He's guaranteed so what does it matter? But now... This mess can hurt their chances for a 2nd shot at a championship based on the expense of his huge contract and having to pay him without a substitute!

What the f**k should Bagwell care who's $16M it is? So, a big chunk of it is insurance money. So what? It's American money.... Astros could've recouped a little and made a move.

This was dumb. On everyone's part.

I've been a Astros fan since 1979 - but as a south-sider, of course the Sox come first, of course. Last fall was lots of fun!

The PR hit the Astros would have taken if McLane "locked-out" Bagwell from spring training would have been massive. He did so much for the team and was such a fan favorite, that you have to give him that shot to play, and the Astros did.

Also, Bagwell has been the team's leader in and out of the clubhouse for the past 15 or so years. Since he's due to be paid $15 mil, there's no way he's coming to some kind of "gentlemen's agreement" and give up a large chunk of cash that he (stupidly, granted) deferred for a few seasons to allow the Astros to acquire players in the past.

The real issue here is tightwad Astros owner McLane and his puppet, GM Purpura. Their outstanding former GM Gerry Hunsicker was let go because he disagreed with the owner too much, and now Purpura seems reluctant to make any deals at all - I wonder if that's a coincidence.

The Astros have needed 2 or 3 hitters since Beltran left, and it's obvious that none of the Bagwell (or Clemens) money is going to be spent on adding players. It's a miracle that patchwork lineup actually made it to the World Series last year, and now they're starting to talk about not being able to re-sign Oswalt when he hits FA this offseason.

Sorry, my 2c.

SoLongFrank
03-29-2006, 05:33 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/lopez/3752418.html A good story on Bagwell's clubhouse presence.

There's a misunderstanding in this thread & what presented the greatest risk in filing the claim. It had nothing to do with Bagwell attending spring training. That was after the fact. The claim had to be submitted before Jan 31st, 2006 & it had to demonstrate he was disabled prior to that date.

His performance in Spring Training all serves as greater weight for the claim they filed because it confirms the assessments made by Dr Andrews & company .. before .. the deadline.

what put the claim at risk the most was Bagwell's appearance in the post season & World Series. That gave the insurance reason to say that he wasn't disabled then & if he didn't not become considerably worse before the deadline then they can't be held accountable. They will of course contest Dr Andrews assessment of Bagwell just prior to the deadline.

That's what the insurance company is going to focus on. The fact Andrews report came just 2 weeks prior to the deadline.

If the Astros had been smart they would have had Bagwell looked at no later than early Dec. That would have been plenty of time to collect the information to support the claim before the deadline.

Bagwell is a class act all the way. His desire to see where he was at in ST jeapordized nothing.

batmanZoSo
03-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Hm. I think I'd sit on the bench and collect my 12 million dollars. But I'd do it solemnly. Then I'd retire. :bandance: