PDA

View Full Version : Hermanson pitches well, but...

delben91
03-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, seems that no one really knows, because Dustin isn't talking.

Link. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060324&content_id=1361414&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Banix12
03-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Well I think Herm Schneider has basically said he doesn't really want to give daily updates and neither does Hermanson for that matter. I guess if his back starts getting really bad again it's going to show up on the mound.

I also agree with the statement in there that it is more important how he feels tomorrow, not today.

Lip Man 1
03-24-2006, 11:57 PM
I am holding out hope but remember Williams himself said he thinks Hermy probably opens the season on the DL.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
03-25-2006, 12:04 AM
I am holding out hope but remember Williams himself said he thinks Hermy probably opens the season on the DL.

LipI don't see how he can keep this up. He's having his THIRD epidural next Tuesday. For those that don't know, that's what they give women during labor and delivery.:o:

ondafarm
03-25-2006, 12:08 AM
I don't see how he can keep this up. He's having his THIRD epidural next Tuesday. For those that don't know, that's what they give women during labor and delivery.:o:

As opposed to their husbands who get other drugs.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-25-2006, 01:14 AM
Hermanson kicks ass, but I don't want him to kill himself. If he can't pitch without having "labor pains" he should probably hang it up. He looks pretty bad and there was a quote in the trib a while ago where he said all the pain injections were destroying his body.

MERPER
03-25-2006, 01:25 AM
I have a feeling this back problem is going to be a career-ender, and that is sad.... from the time Hermanson signed last season, he has been nothing but professional and from what I understand, a great guy in the clubhouse...

While I hope I am jumping the gun here and he can make a strong return, if it weren't for Hermanson last season replacing Shingo and nailing down 31 of 32 saves to begin the season, the Sox don't make the playoffs...

Here's to you Hermy.. get well soon!!! :gulp:

WhiteSoxFan84
03-25-2006, 06:54 AM
I'm somewhat not all that worried about our bullpen problems mainly because we still have Jose Contreras whom can be dealt any day for solid relievers. It would be hard to think of a solid offer that could land us 2-3 solid arms, but that's what KDub gets paid for and he does a fine job. So I'll leave it to him.

SOXandILLINI
03-25-2006, 08:19 AM
i had 3 epidurals last year, that's all they will give you in a 12 month time frame. the epidural isn't so bad, i was feeling much better the next day. the subsequent epidurals unfortunately were not as effective as the first. having back problems is no fun, take it from me. i have digenerative disc disease along with severe athritis in my spine. this gettin old ain't for sissies..:cool:

Banix12
03-25-2006, 09:19 AM
I'm somewhat not all that worried about our bullpen problems mainly because we still have Jose Contreras whom can be dealt any day for solid relievers. It would be hard to think of a solid offer that could land us 2-3 solid arms, but that's what KDub gets paid for and he does a fine job. So I'll leave it to him.

Just my opinion but you don't trade great starters for relievers. Especially if Contreras continues his dominant pitching that he showed at the end of last season. If he falls apart then maybe a trade would be in order but a good Contreras will be vital to the team I think. I would hang onto him and let him walk.

Also very few teams have that many top shelf relievers to trade anyway.

I am comfortable though in the ability to snag something useful with the farm system.

SOecks
03-25-2006, 10:28 AM
The flaw in the "Trade Contreras for a reliever" theory is that you then have to put Brandon in as a starter, so you've lost a starter, a reliever and only replaced him with a reliever. Losing 2 positions for one doesn't seem too great to me unless you could snag a complete stud. But who would give up a stud for a rental player in Contreras? It doesn't make sense.

RowanDye
03-25-2006, 01:35 PM
To me the whole bullpen still hinges on Jenks. If Hermanson can get healthy it's just gravy. Between our solid starters and then Politte, Cotts, and McCarthy there should little problem getting to the 9th. If Jenks steps it up and can close games, then the rest of bullpen is serving the Marte, Vizcaino roles. Vizcaino was not horrilbe, but I'll take Boone Logan over Marte any day of the week. Hopefully Hermanson can pitch in some capacity this year (40-50 innings) and take the stress off of our other guys. If not though his injury just hurts our depth. After the second half of last year I really don't think Hermanson could be counted on for much, and he certainly should never have been thought of as an insurance policy for Jenks.

Banix12
03-25-2006, 01:39 PM
The flaw in the "Trade Contreras for a reliever" theory is that you then have to put Brandon in as a starter, so you've lost a starter, a reliever and only replaced him with a reliever. Losing 2 positions for one doesn't seem too great to me unless you could snag a complete stud. But who would give up a stud for a rental player in Contreras? It doesn't make sense.

Well and if you are gonna put brandon in as a starter you have to make this trade now or very early in the season to give Brandon time to stretch out his arm for starting duties. You do that trade at the deadline it's probably going to take him a couple of outings in the minors to get loose.

Some teams would give up quality for a rental right now if they thought it was the final piece to the puzzle. However teams like that are usually unwilling to give up 2 good relievers.

If you trade him one of the players the sox have to get in return is a starting pitching prospect who is good enough eventually replace him or be used for trade bait down the line.

Lip Man 1
03-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Hermanson is only getting three shots in his back. Tuesday is the final one. Based on the stories today and some comments it looks like the DL for him. This is not good for a shaky bullpen.

Perhaps he can be ready for the second half which would be like making a deal to bring someone in but I don't think so. He had an entire off season to get well, dropped weight, did exercises yet the back still hurts.

Lip

rookieroy
03-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Just arrived home from Tucson this afternoon. I was in Peoria for yesterdays game and watched/saw everything. Dustin didn't say a word and never even looked or acknowledged anyone as he walked back to the clubhouse and then to his car after the game. Coop said something to him and it appeared that Dustin just walked right by him. I hope he's o.k. None of that is a good sign. He did seem to get in his car pretty quickly though.

delben91
03-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Looks like dustin will start the season on the DL. Boone Logan seems to be the front-runner to take his spot (with Thorton I presume getting the other).

Contreras and Jenks both threw well from the looks of this article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060325&content_id=1362424&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws).

Foulke You
03-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Looks like dustin will start the season on the DL.

Sadly, I think we've seen Hermanson throw his last pitch in a Sox uniform (and perhaps MLB uniform). That back problem of his seems to be chronic and just won't go away. The Sox are doing the right thing by planning on him not being there.