PDA

View Full Version : Trib continues desperate attempt to link 4th-place Cubs to Sox & "World Series"

maurice
03-24-2006, 03:59 PM
The only way they can use the words "Cubs" and "World Series" in the same sentence is if they go back 100 years or tie them to the Sox. In this case, they're doing both. Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-cubssoxpremium-htmlstorypromo,1,1828816.htmlstory?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Every day we'll give you a brief description of what was in the paper 100 years ago, along with a link to what's happening in 2006.
:rolleyes:

palehozenychicty
03-24-2006, 04:26 PM
so sad...........:rolleyes: . really.

Ol' No. 2
03-24-2006, 04:35 PM
The only way they can use the words "Cubs" and "World Series" in the same sentence is if they go back 100 years or tie them to the Sox. In this case, they're doing both. Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-cubssoxpremium-htmlstorypromo,1,1828816.htmlstory?coll=cs-home-headlines)

:rolleyes:The Cubs have no chance to make it to the World Series.

See?? It's not so hard.:cool:

MarySwiss
03-24-2006, 05:03 PM
so sad...........:rolleyes: . really.

That about sums it up. How much more pathetic can the Trib get, anyway?

(I'm sure we'll find out in the months ahead, as the Cubs/Sox rivalry heats up!)

SOXPHILE
03-24-2006, 05:05 PM
I can't see it without registering. What does it say ?

MarySwiss
03-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Oh, my. I just noticed something. They plan on running us through the entire 1906 season, AKA, "respective paths to the pennant." That is beyond pathetic.

I HAVE NO DOUBT that they will seize every opportunity to point out how dominant the Cubs were throughout the 1906 regular season. I mean, c'mon, they won 116 games. They had Tinker to Evers to Chance. They were the team to beat going into the World Series. Well, as we all know, our Sox DID beat them, a fact that will I am sure be glossed over--if mentioned at all--as this incredible joke of a "special content feature" unfolds.

They just don't get it. When it comes to losing, the Cubs are the undisputed World's Champion. Maybe the Trib should run with that story; at least it's honest.

Fishwrap? IMO, not good enough even for that.

DumpJerry
03-24-2006, 05:23 PM
But this third-ever "world's series" was something that Major League Baseball wouldn't have for at least another century: An all-Chicago series.
Huh? Do they seriously think it will happen this year????????

WSox597
03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
"at least" being the key words there.

I wonder what they will do come 2008? :D:

AnkleSox
03-24-2006, 06:13 PM
I have to believe that the trib wants the Sox in the world series, but they want the Cubs to beat them. That would probably be the only way that the cubs' first championship in nearly a century wouldn't be tarnished by the Sox championship in '05. Despite the fact that most cub fans say they don't care what the sox did, you know it really kills them that we got there first.

MarySwiss
03-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Huh? Do they seriously think it will happen this year????????

Probably not, but their idiot fans do, so anything that'll sell papers and put (dumb) asses in seats is fair game, apparently. :cool:

Max Power
03-24-2006, 06:56 PM
To express an unpopular opinion, I think it COULD be an interesting feature. Maybe they'll hype up the Cubs' great regular season, but we know this one has a happy ending.

A. Cavatica
03-24-2006, 08:49 PM
No kidding. How pathetic is it to be celebrating your team's triumphant second-place season of 100 years ago?

Vernam
03-24-2006, 10:15 PM
I HAVE NO DOUBT that they will seize every opportunity to point out how dominant the Cubs were throughout the 1906 regular season. I mean, c'mon, they won 116 games. They had Tinker to Evers to Chance. They were the team to beat going into the World Series. Well, as we all know, our Sox DID beat them, a fact that will I am sure be glossed over--if mentioned at all--as this incredible joke of a "special content feature" unfolds. I agree that the 1906 Sox' victory over the mighty Cubs will get overlooked in the Trib, but I predict that will be because the 2006 Sox will at that very moment be playing in the World Series against some team other than the Cubs. :bandance:

Vernam

BiancaCalzini
03-24-2006, 11:36 PM
If there MUST be a Cubs-Sox post-season link, how about establishing October 14 as "Southside Dominance Day?"
Oct. 14, 1906 - Doc White defeats Mordecai "Three-Finger" Brown to finish off the northsiders in the country's first-ever crosstown World Series.
Oct. 14, 2003 - St. Steve Bartman reaches for a foul ball; he misses it but manages to activate the Cubs' famous self-destruct button.
Oct. 14, 2005 - the Sox break a 1 - 1 in the ALCS and go on to dominate the post-season.
Oct. 14, 2006 - the Sox are yet again in the ALCS. No one even recalls that other team.
Champagne for one and all!:redneck :redneck

Now someone help my failing middle-age memory-
on what dates was the Evil Empire defeated in '84, '89, and '98?

Max Power
03-25-2006, 01:13 AM
ChicagoSports.com is bringing you the 1906 versions of the White Sox and Cubs (known then as the Nationals), their respective paths to the pennant, their meeting in the World Series and the world that surrounded them.

What am I missing? Sounds harmless enough to me. Some of you people are grasping at straws on this one. It's a perfectly reasonable way to commemorate the 100th year since the only all Chicago World Series. Is the Tribune going to come out with, "We've unearthed evidence that the Cubs actually WON the 1906 World Series?"

Wait, maybe I shouldn't ask that.

I hate to break it to you all, but there's probably going to be something next year to commemorate the 100th year since the Cubs won the World Series in 1907, and then they'll do it again for 1908, then we get it in 2017... and 2105... and 2106.

miker
03-25-2006, 01:36 PM
I hate to break it to you all, but there's probably going to be something next year to commemorate the 100th year since the Cubs won the World Series in 1907, and then they'll do it again for 1908, then we get it in 2017... and 2105... and 2106.
If I failed at something for 100 years, I wouldn't be celebrating it.

Tragg
03-25-2006, 01:38 PM
It is meaningless; but I will note that while the article mentions they both were in the world series, it doesn't mention who won that world series.

SOXSINCE'70
03-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Fishwrap? IMO, not good enough even for that.

I could use it to line a bird cage or wipe my ass,
but I doubt it's even that good.:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
03-25-2006, 04:39 PM
It is meaningless; but I will note that while the article mentions they both were in the world series, it doesn't mention who won that world series.

The 1906 WHITE SOX!!! :bandance: :bandance:

MarySwiss
03-25-2006, 04:41 PM
I agree that the 1906 Sox' victory over the mighty Cubs will get overlooked in the Trib, but I predict that will be because the 2006 Sox will at that very moment be playing in the World Series against some team other than the Cubs. :bandance:

Vernam
Excellent point. I can't wait to see how they spin that one!

TomBradley72
03-25-2006, 05:11 PM
A classic bit of Cubdom....if they want to remind thousands of people every day that it's been 98 years since they won the World Series, and that they lost the one "all Chicago" World Series to the White Sox...who am I to argue?

CPditka
03-25-2006, 06:03 PM
One word....LAME!!!