PDA

View Full Version : Cubs continue to disgrace Harry

irish rover
01-16-2002, 09:23 AM
7th inning stretch continues

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp

Iwritecode
01-16-2002, 09:36 AM
So at least for now, there's no end in sight to the seventh-inning, celebrity sing-along at the Tavern on the Green.

"It's not Harry. That was Frank Sinatra at Madison Square Garden. Harry lived for that moment each day,'' McDonough said. "Is there an exact right answer? No. It's a work in progress. When it has run its course and reached the end, it'll be time to go in another direction.

"But we're not there yet.''

Translation: Half the drunk fans think it's still Harry singing and the other half just like the song. So as long as the fans are drunk and happy, we'll just continue on with this until we can think of something different to do. Plus it gives us time to procrastinate since we haven't been able to think of anything different yet...

fuzzy_patters
01-16-2002, 09:43 AM
It's a tradition. Cubs' traditions, even stupid ones, cannot end lest all hell break loose.

cheeses_h_rice
01-16-2002, 09:56 AM
"It's been fun and entertaining, and after all, isn't that what baseball is supposed to be about?''

I notice "winning" was conspicuously absent from this quote above...but then again, this is the Flubbies and the "Wrigley Field experience" we're talking about.

CubKilla
01-16-2002, 11:34 AM
Should we expect anything else from the Cubs? Let Harry Carey and an OLD COMISKEY tradition R.I.P!!!!! Then again, if it weren't for diversions like this, the sCrUB fans may actually have to soak in the BASEBALL at Wrigley.

:harry&jimmy

"God Bless Ya Harry. We remember where the 7th Inning Stretch Sing-along originated."

irish rover
01-16-2002, 11:55 AM
"Show goes on

So at least for now, there's no end in sight
to the seventh-inning, celebrity sing-along
at the Tavern on the Green.'

boy that sure speaks volumes

PaleHoseGeorge
01-16-2002, 12:01 PM
Boy, that's pathetic. McDonough goes on and on about "the Wrigley experience" and never once mentions winning. Rozner doesn't even take him to task for it. He even buys into the myth, suggesting "the show must go on."

You don't suppose Mr. Rozner is angling for a Cubs job? He didn't hurt his chances with this fluff piece.

"Don't Forget: Loserpalooza at The Hilton Towers this weekend!!!"

Jerry_Manuel
01-16-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Rozner doesn't even take him to task for it.

He did however take Dan Evans to task, which I love to see.

Baseball larceny

Granted this is a big "if,'' but if Gary Sheffield is happy, and he promises to be in Atlanta, the Braves stole him from the Dodgers for Brian Jordan and Odalis Perez.

It also shifts the wild-card focus to the East, where the Braves and the Mets should find their way to the postseason, and means the Cubs must pass the Cardinals to reach the playoffs.

RichH55
01-16-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

He did however take Dan Evans to task, which I love to see.

Baseball larceny

Granted this is a big "if,'' but if Gary Sheffield is happy, and he promises to be in Atlanta, the Braves stole him from the Dodgers for Brian Jordan and Odalis Perez.

It also shifts the wild-card focus to the East, where the Braves and the Mets should find their way to the postseason, and means the Cubs must pass the Cardinals to reach the playoffs.

Jim Bowden would have been better off robbing Evans before talking to Tommy...could have probably gotten something for Pokey Reese at this rate

Tragg
01-16-2002, 01:59 PM
It's a decent tradition.

Throwing back opponents' homers is a silly tradition - it is made only similar when sox fans comply.

DrCrawdad
01-17-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
Should we expect anything else from the Cubs? Let Harry Carey and an OLD COMISKEY tradition R.I.P!!!!! Then again, if it weren't for diversions like this, the sCrUB fans may actually have to soak in the BASEBALL at Wrigley.

:harry&jimmy

"God Bless Ya Harry. We remember where the 7th Inning Stretch Sing-along originated."

2000, early season game vs. the Orioles I'm sitting out in the "old" left field bleachers-in front of me is a Cubbie fan. After the 7th Inning Stretch Cubbie fan starts telling me how the White Sox ripped off the Cubbie tradition of the sing-along 7th Inning Stretch with Harry leading. I asked Cubbie fan if he was aware that Harry started that "Wrigley tradition" at Comiskey Park. Cubbie fan's jaw dropped when I told him that Harry was with the Sox. Then I told him that Harry was with the Cards before the Sox, which he didn't know either.

Funny thing is that this is not some odd occurrence, I've talked with at least 5 other Cubbie fans who were ignorant of where Harry's Chicago career began.

Can it really be called a "Wrigley tradition" if it originated and was popularized at Comiskey?

Yeah, and then at that game Charles Johnson hit a blazing line-drive HR that a co-worker's friend caught. This co-worker's friend immediately threw the ball back on the field. He was heartily booed by the left-field 'crowd'. The co-worker's friend - a Cubbie fan! However, I was impressed by his throw when it reached 2nd base!