PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 3/24/06

Hangar18
03-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Unbelievably, the SOX are now behind in media attention.
Cubs propoganda writer Mike "Yellow" Kiley writes yet another Fluff piece on a rookie Pagan. Good informative piece on Scott Pods today, says he is feeling alot better, and is ready to go, we need him badly, especially since all the goodwill and attention he earned will be quickly turned 8miles north with Pierre. Kiley also says Flubs and Lee are close in talks, but the story says otherwise that they havnt spoken yet. Nice. Same with the Trib. Virtually same story, yet they acknowledge they havnt spoken yet? Sometimes I cant believe I live in a city that has so much lust for a team.

Trib does more CubFluff today on Jerry Hairston, saying hes a 3rd generation ballplayer. I love how they are forced to acknowledge that Sam Hairston was a SOX player, as was Jerry Hairston Sr. The article does go out of its way to say the younger Jerry is a "nice kid" falling into the overkill of Pierre being "personable".

The Trib Gratuitiuosly also boldly declares in a headline "Cubs lead off with Bush" the article mentions he will throw out the 1st pitch for the reds, this having nothing to do with the Cubs, other than they happen to be the team playing the Reds.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, the White SOX are not getting 4 times the coverage as their cross-town media owned rivals have over the last decade or so, despite Winning Nothing, and coming off a 4th place finish. They are in 1st place regarding media coverage. Embarrassing

Chicago Tribune:
5 cub stories
3 sox stories
Chicago Sun-Times:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories
Standings as of Friday March 24th, 2006
Priviledged, Media-Owned, 4th place in 2005 Cubs 116
Maligned, Media-Ignored, WS Champs in 2005 SOX 113

CaptainBallz
03-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Unbelievably, the SOX are now behind in media attention.
Cubs propoganda writer Mike "Yellow" Kiley writes yet another Fluff piece on a rookie Pagan. Good informative piece on Scott Pods today, says he is feeling alot better, and is ready to go, we need him badly, especially since all the goodwill and attention he earned will be quickly turned 8miles north with Pierre. Kiley also says Flubs and Lee are close in talks, but the story says otherwise that they havnt spoken yet. Nice. Same with the Trib. Virtually same story, yet they acknowledge they havnt spoken yet? Sometimes I cant believe I live in a city that has so much lust for a team.

Trib does more CubFluff today on Jerry Hairston, saying hes a 3rd generation ballplayer. I love how they are forced to acknowledge that Sam Hairston was a SOX player, as was Jerry Hairston Sr. The article does go out of its way to say the younger Jerry is a "nice kid" falling into the overkill of Pierre being "personable".

The Trib Gratuitiuosly also boldly declares in a headline "Cubs lead off with Bush" the article mentions he will throw out the 1st pitch for the reds, this having nothing to do with the Cubs, other than they happen to be the team playing the Reds.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, the White SOX are not getting 4 times the coverage as their cross-town media owned rivals have over the last decade or so, despite Winning Nothing, and coming off a 4th place finish. They are in 1st place regarding media coverage. Embarrassing

Chicago Tribune:
5 cub stories
2 sox stories
Chicago Sun-Times:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories
Standings as of Friday March 24th, 2006
Priviledged, Media-Owned, 4th place in 2005 Cubs 116
Maligned, Media-Ignored, WS Champs in 2005 SOX 112

Love it! Keep up the good work, Hangar! :thumbsup: BTW, do you have a breakdown of total stories by each paper?

TomBradley72
03-24-2006, 11:59 AM
The Cubune b.s. never stops....a lengthy fluff piece on a part time/mediocre 2B/OF like Hairston? Big "fake" news like the Bush comment and the Lee "non event"....incredible.

SOXPHILE
03-24-2006, 12:10 PM
5 Cub stories in the Trib ? There must be different versions with each edition. I show 3 Sox stories (articles on Pods, Nomo & then "White Sox bits"). Cubs, I would say 2 1/2.- The Hairston article, Cubs bits, plus, I guess I'll sort of count the Grace/Sosa story as a 1/2 Cubs article. Also, I don't see anything about the President throwing out the first pitch at a "Cubs game" (Reds home game, that is, heh heh). Is some of this stuff on Tribune.com, is that why ? Regardless, Hangar is right, it shouldn't even be this close right now. Coming off of a World Series Championship, in spring training at least, the Sox should have a couple of more stories the VAST majority of the time. Once the season starts, I would settle for even coverage. That is, until the Sox start dominating and the Cubs start crashing. Then, they should start to get more ink again.

George Knue
03-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Chicago Tribune:
5 cub stories
2 sox stories

Hangar, I’d be curious to hear just exactly what five Cub stories you found in this morning’s Tribune. I see two – one on Hairston and notes. And in the notes, contrary to the point you made, Derrek Lee says his agent and the team have talked – he said they’re “on the same page.” The Sun-Times had a full-blown story on this, you’re right; the Tribune, however, didn’t have virtually the same story, just three paragraphs at the top of the notes. I don’t see anything on George Bush – that story didn’t come out until today and is in the online edition of the Chicago Tribune. Which makes me wonder just exactly how you come up with these numbers – by looking at the paper or by looking at Web sites?

For the Sox, there was a story on Podsednik, notes and a Phil Rogers column on Hideo Nomo, who is in the White Sox spring training camp. And that’s one more than you found.

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

maurice
03-24-2006, 12:37 PM
An article about 3 prominent former Cub players is "1/2 Cubs"? :rolleyes:

BTW, the Sun-Times contains a virtually identical article with a vastly different headline.
Trib version: "Mark Grace on . . ."
Sun-Times version: "Grace says Sosa's bulk had to be artificial"

itsnotrequired
03-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Ohhhhh, this thread is going to start getting good...

Hangar18
03-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Hangar, I’d be curious to hear just exactly what five Cub stories you found in this morning’s Tribune. I see two – one on Hairston and notes. And in the notes, contrary to the point you made, Derrek Lee says his agent and the team have talked – he said they’re “on the same page.” The Sun-Times had a full-blown story on this, you’re right; the Tribune, however, didn’t have virtually the same story, just three paragraphs at the top of the notes. I don’t see anything on George Bush – that story didn’t come out until today and is in the online edition of the Chicago Tribune. Which makes me wonder just exactly how you come up with these numbers – by looking at the paper or by looking at Web sites?

For the Sox, there was a story on Podsednik, notes and a Phil Rogers column on Hideo Nomo, who is in the White Sox spring training camp. And that’s one more than you found.

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

The Nomo story is duly noted, I read it and for whatever reason forgot to tally it as SOX (soxphile spotted that also)
As for the Cub stories?
* Former Cub Great Weighs in (Fluff Piece on Grace)
* Cubs' 3rd generation ballplayer (Fluff Piece on Hairston)
* Lee & Cubs on "same page" says that they are on the same page,
yet Lee never says hes talked to your Company regarding contract, only saying "were on the same page". Putting this story out like this, makes it look like a contract is imminent, even though it really may not be.
The SunTimes at least admits (same press conference) that Lee hasnt spoken to the Trib/Cubs about the details
* Hughes urges Patience on Wood Prior
* Front page online "Cubs lead off with Bush" Big blaring headline misleads reader into thinking theres more of a story there than their really is. The REDS are the ones who invited the president to do this, not the Cubs, and hes not doing it for some strange love for the cubs. Putting CUBS and BUSH together is misleading, kind of the same way in the last decade, your paper has been putting YANKEES, WORLD CHAMPIONS, HISTORY, CUBS, LOYAL FAN BASE, STORIED in the same sentences, as if the Cubs have anything remotely similar in common with the Yankees. Yup, the cubs are just like the Yankees, except they have 24 more world championships, heh heh

maurice
03-24-2006, 12:58 PM
BTW, the main Trib web page links the Grace article with the phrase: "Former CUBS great weighs in on Sosa in interview." Bulletted below this entry are two other Cub-related articles. The artcle itself is stored in the following web folder: /sports/baseball/CUBS/

OTOH, if you go directly to chicagosports.com and look at the main page or click on "Cubs," the article is MIA.
:rolleyes:

kjhanson
03-24-2006, 12:59 PM
"I love it when you analyze!"

The Nomo story is duly noted, I read it and for whatever reason forgot to tally it as SOX (soxphile spotted that also)
As for the Cub stories?
* Former Cub Great Weighs in (Fluff Piece on Grace)
* Cubs' 3rd generation ballplayer (Fluff Piece on Hairston)
* Lee & Cubs on "same page" says that they are on the same page,
yet Lee never says hes talked to your Company regarding contract, only saying "were on the same page". Putting this story out like this, makes it look like a contract is imminent, even though it really may not be.
The SunTimes at least admits (same press conference) that Lee hasnt spoken to the Trib/Cubs about the details
* Hughes urges Patience on Wood Prior
* Front page online "Cubs lead off with Bush" Big blaring headline misleads reader into thinking theres more of a story there than their really is. The REDS are the ones who invited the president to do this, not the Cubs, and hes not doing it for some strange love for the cubs. Putting CUBS and BUSH together is misleading, kind of the same way in the last decade, your paper has been putting YANKEES, WORLD CHAMPIONS, HISTORY, CUBS, LOYAL FAN BASE, STORIED in the same sentences, as if the Cubs have anything remotely similar in common with the Yankees. Yup, the cubs are just like the Yankees, except they have 24 more world championships, heh heh

SOXPHILE
03-24-2006, 01:10 PM
[quote=maurice]An article about 3 prominent former Cub players is "1/2 Cubs"? :rolleyes:

Mea Culpa. You're right. That should be considered a "full" Cubs story. (Hey, it's friday. I guess my head is "elsewhere".:redface: )

It's a good thing nobody at TribCo cares about or reads the posts on this site. We need to all just "Get A Grip".

George Knue
03-24-2006, 01:18 PM
This story: ‘Hughes urges Patience on Wood, Prior’ ran in Thursday’s paper. It did not run Friday. So you’ve probably counted it twice. The Grace story doesn’t even include the word Cubs and isn’t about the Cubs. It’s about steroids, baseball and Mark Grace’s thoughts on the subject. I don’t know that fits into any kind of comparison that involves how the media treats the Cubs as opposed to the Sox – it isn’t about the Cubs or the Sox.

Keep trying on the Derrek Lee thing – anyone who reads that and makes the assumption that they haven’t talked must be used to reading things into stories that aren’t there. Which explains perfectly why you made the assumption you did.

And I love this: ‘The Nomo story is duly noted, I read it and for whatever reason forgot to tally it as SOX (soxphile spotted that also).’ I know the reason.

Was the Podsednik story a fluff piece. Or are stories on Cub players only allowed to be fluff pieces?

So you get your headlines online – which makes this whole premise a little faulty since the online edition can have more and different headlines than the newspaper. And describing the headline as blaring is another really big stretch considering it’s the same size as about 50 other headlines on the same page. And though you try to turn it into something it isn’t, it’s true – George Bush will be throwing out the ball in the Cubs’ season opener. Plus, what do you want it to say – we’d only use the story because it involves the Cubs, so we’re not supposed to say anything about the Cubs in the headline?

You want to make your point so badly that you stretch things way, way out of shape.

George Knue
03-24-2006, 01:25 PM
OTOH, if you go directly to chicagosports.com and look at the main page or click on "Cubs," the article is MIA.

You are right and wrong. On the Cubs front on ChicagoSports.com, the Grace story is a related link on the Hairston story. It does not appear on the main page because only one related link shows in stories that aren't at the top. Which, by the way, the Sox were. It was related to the Cubs story because the subject would be of interest to Cubs fans even if the story wasn't about the Cubs. Which it isn't.

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

Hangar18
03-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Was the Podsednik story a fluff piece. Or are stories on Cub players only allowed to be fluff pieces?

So you get your headlines online – which makes this whole premise a little faulty since the online edition can have more and different headlines than the newspaper. And describing the headline as blaring is another really big stretch considering it’s the same size as about 50 other headlines on the same page. And though you try to turn it into something it isn’t, it’s true – George Bush will be throwing out the ball in the Cubs’ season opener. Plus, what do you want it to say – we’d only use the story because it involves the Cubs, so we’re not supposed to say anything about the Cubs in the headline?

You want to make your point so badly that you stretch things way, way out of shape.

Podsednik feeling better regarding his shoulder and him commenting on it is much different than a piece on Jerry Hairston and how his dad played baseball a long time ago, and his grandfather played baseball even longer ago than that.
Podsednik injury update= Relevant story
Hairston nice guy update= not really relevant.
Mind you, we havnt had daily updates on Pods like weve gotten regarding The Messiah and Wood.

Bush is throwing out the ball for the REDS. THEY were the team that invited him, not the Cubs.

Fluff pieces are fine and dandy, I would just like to see the same ZEAL/LUST applied to the SOX. If the reason the cubbies were getting so much attention the last couple of years was because "They are the interesting story, had decent season before, look to go far" than what does a World Championship equate to? I have an idea ........unfortuneately, nobody else in this town agrees.

Hangar18
03-24-2006, 01:36 PM
You are right and wrong. On the Cubs front on ChicagoSports.com, the Grace story is a related link on the Hairston story. It does not appear on the main page because only one related link shows in stories that aren't at the top. Which, by the way, the Sox were. It was related to the Cubs story because the subject would be of interest to Cubs fans even if the story wasn't about the Cubs. Which it isn't.

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

So a story about an ex-cub, talking about another ex-cub isnt a Cub story?
Than you better tell Fred Mitchell about that, thats all that joker likes to write about ............

champagne030
03-24-2006, 01:45 PM
The Grace story doesn’t even include the word Cubs and isn’t about the Cubs. It’s about steroids, baseball and Mark Grace’s thoughts on the subject. I don’t know that fits into any kind of comparison that involves how the media treats the Cubs as opposed to the Sox – it isn’t about the Cubs or the Sox.

Now that's funny. I'm sure the Philadelphia Inquirer isn't beating a path to Grace's door for an interview about steriods. The simple fact the Tribune chooses to interview Mark Grace makes it about the Cubs. Why isn't the Tribune beating a path to Bo Jackson for an inverview about steriods. I think we all know the reason why you're not.....

SOXPHILE
03-24-2006, 01:49 PM
[quote=George Knue] The Grace story doesn’t even include the word Cubs and isn’t about the Cubs. It’s about steroids, baseball and Mark Grace’s thoughts on the subject. I don’t know that fits into any kind of comparison that involves how the media treats the Cubs as opposed to the Sox – it isn’t about the Cubs or the Sox.

Sorry, but that should be considered a Cubs story. It's about Mark Grace, an ex-Cub, weighing in on Sosa an ex (overhyped & overexposed) ex-Cub, and Palmeiro, another ex-Cub. That's why the Tribune went with it. I don't think they would print a similar story about a retired player from another team commenting on ex-teamates of his. I doubt we'll see a future story titled "Ray Lankford on..." where the former Cardinal talks about how he wouldn't vote for Mark McGwire for the HOF. It's unlikely we'll see "Walt Weiss on..." where the former Oakland Athletic weighs in on former teamate Jose Conseco's steroid use. I'm not complaining that the story was run, but it's a bit absurd to imply that it's not Cubs related, whether or not the actual word "Cubs" appears.

Hangar18
03-24-2006, 02:09 PM
............. The Grace story doesn’t even include the word Cubs and isn’t about the Cubs.

then why does the headline say "Former Cub Great" ?

maurice
03-24-2006, 02:40 PM
then why does the headline say "Former Cub Great" ?

And why is it in a folder called /sports/baseball/CUBS/? The person who changed the headline and filed away the article disagrees with your claim, George. Was that you or a member of your staff?

It's a story about an interview given by an ex-Cub concerning the activities of another ex-Cub while they both were members of the Cubs, including activities taking place within Wrigley Field during games. (It also talks about another of Grace's Cub teammates, Rafael Palmeiro.) That's absolutely Cubtastic!

Under your criteria, Hangar should go back and remove from consideration recent Trib articles about Frank Thomas, Carl Everett, and Joe Borchard, since they're not Sox-related.

If an article about 3 former Cubs doesn't qualify as a "Cub-related story," then an article about a never-will-be-a-Sox Hideo Nomo doesn't qualify as a "Sox-related story" either. Heck, at this point, Nomo has spent more time in the Cubs organization than he has in the Sox organization. Rogers speculates that the Sox will trade him at the end of Sping Training.

This is a fantastic case of the pot calling the kettle black.

daveeym
03-24-2006, 02:47 PM
This is a fantastic case of the pot calling the kettle black. Yup, we all know Hangar's a bit over zealous and biased but everything he accuses Hangar of he does the same. However, Hangar generally acknowledges his misses if you call him on it.

maurice
03-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Mind you, we havnt had daily updates on Pods like weve gotten regarding The Messiah and Wood.

No, but we did get the annual "look, a Sox pitcher is injured too" article.

Turns out that (unlike the annual propaganda about Prior and Wood) the Sox AGAIN were telling the truth when they said that their pitcher was fine.

Iwritecode
03-24-2006, 02:59 PM
And why is it in a folder called /sports/baseball/CUBS/? The person who changed the headline and filed away the article disagrees with your claim, George. Was that you or a member of your staff?

It's a story about an interview given by an ex-Cub concerning the activities of another ex-Cub while they both were members of the Cubs, including activities taking place within Wrigley Field during games. (It also talks about another of Grace's Cub teammates, Rafael Palmeiro.) That's absolutely Cubtastic!

Under your criteria, Hangar should go back and remove from consideration recent Trib articles about Frank Thomas, Carl Everett, and Joe Borchard, since they're not Sox-related.

If an article about 3 former Cubs doesn't qualify as a "Cub-related story," then an article about a never-will-be-a-Sox Hideo Nomo doesn't qualify as a "Sox-related story" either. Heck, at this point, Nomo has spent more time in the Cubs organization than he has in the Sox organization. Rogers speculates that the Sox will trade him at the end of Sping Training.

I just wish the stories about Ligue and Dybas would quit being classified as "Sox-related".

Dick Allen
03-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Whether Hangar's numbers are accurate or slightly inaccurate, the fact remains that the North Side bozos garner an inordinate amount of attention. I'm assume Mr. Knue has enough intelligence to understand that without nitpicking.

maurice
03-24-2006, 03:20 PM
I just wish the stories about Ligue and Dybas would quit being classified as "Sox-related".

Don't be ridiculous! It's OBVIOUSLY Sox-related whenever one of these guys steals a radio miles away from Sox Park. That's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than one "former Cub great" talking about another former Cub great's conduct when they both played for the Cubs.

Hangar18
03-24-2006, 03:26 PM

:knue
"But Ligue and Dybas were former SOX players"

hsnterprize
03-24-2006, 03:34 PM
And now a lot of you can see why we a lot of us love Hangar so much. He's keeping folks at the Trib on the run...they know we're watching 'em pretty closely.

TomBradley72
03-24-2006, 03:46 PM

He makes a good point Hangar...the case is so compelling and so obvious....you don't need to stretch anything...just accurately summarizing and communicating how the Tribune actually covers the team they own vs. the White Sox will make the point. Of course any actual investigative reports on Sosa and steroids will never make it into this calculation.

Gotta run....need to see if I can find more exciting updates on Soriano coming to the northside and the latest towel drill updates for Wood and Prior.

CaptainBallz
03-24-2006, 04:23 PM
He makes a good point Hangar...the case is so compelling and so obvious....you don't need to stretch anything...just accurately summarizing and communicating how the Tribune actually covers the team they own vs. the White Sox will make the point. Of course any actual investigative reports on Sosa and steroids will never make it into this calculation.

Gotta run....need to see if I can find more exciting updates on Soriano coming to the northside and the latest towel drill updates for Wood and Prior.

So, for the record, does the MediaWatch include ALL articles in print AND online? It's great to know that they know that we know that they know, but the stats have to be 100% accurate to be effective, IMHO.

daveeym
03-24-2006, 04:41 PM
So, for the record, does the MediaWatch include ALL articles in print AND online? It's great to know that they know that we know that they know, but the stats have to be 100% accurate to be effective, IMHO. Not positive but I believe the "numbers" come from the print addition. But Hangar often references the online versions and headlines which often are different. I believe Hangar also includes any additional articles outside of the sports sections that may be cub or sox related.

DumpJerry
03-24-2006, 06:33 PM
My reaction to when I saw the story about Bush throwing the first pitch:
The Cubs get him now, we get him after the season is over.:D:

Isn't it a tradition that the President of the United States throws out the first pitch at the Reds' home opener which is the first NL game of the season (used to be the first MLB game, but now that ESPN wants the previous year's WS Champs on Sunday night first, it will be an AL city).

maurice
03-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Adam Caldarelli discussed the Grace article on the chicagosports.com 'blog (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_whatsgoinon/chicago_cubs_/index.html). (In an interesting aside, he strongly implies that former Cub Nomar Garciapara also was on the juice.) Any guesses where this non-Cub topic was linked? That's right:
/sports_whatsgoinon/chicago_CUBS_/

LMAO! George's own staff is out to get him and teaming up with Hangar! Those biased anti-Trib bastards!

itsnotrequired
03-24-2006, 07:01 PM
As always, kudos to George for showing up and offering his thoughts. It is appreciated.

MarySwiss
03-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Podsednik feeling better regarding his shoulder and him commenting on it is much different than a piece on Jerry Hairston and how his dad played baseball a long time ago, and his grandfather played baseball even longer ago than that.
Podsednik injury update= Relevant story
Hairston nice guy update= not really relevant.

Bush is throwing out the ball for the REDS. THEY were the team that invited him, not the Cubs.

Fluff pieces are fine and dandy, I would just like to see the same ZEAL/LUST applied to the SOX. If the reason the cubbies were getting so much attention the last couple of years was because "They are the interesting story, had decent season before, look to go far" than what does a World Championship equate to? I have an idea ........unfortunately, the media in this town doesn't seem to grasp the concept.

Fixed that for ya, Hangar. But as far as the rest of your post goes, you are spot-on.

Pardon me all to hell, Mr. Knue, but the Podsednik story is a fluff piece? Excuse me, but last time I looked, Scottie was--oh, I don't know--a large part of the reason the Sox won the World Series. Any article that reports on his progress recovering from an injury would--in a newspaper in any other city that has a team that has just won a World Series--be considered newsworthy. Meanwhile, the Trib prints article after article extolling the virtues of Juan Pierre, who has yet to play an inning in "Cubbie Blue." Any wonder Sox fans think you're biased?

I appreciate your desire to defend your company's position, but some of your arguments are specious, to say the least.

Lip Man 1
03-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Mary:

Just wondering...aren't you in an executive position for a newspaper in Arizona?

Lip

Craig Grebeck
03-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Hangar-do you know why they update Prior a lot more than Pods (if they do at all...I have a hard time believing a single word out of your mouth)?
1-Prior is a franchise pitcher when healthy, one of the best in the game. Pods, OTOH, a decent leadoff man who can steal bases, i.e. not as important as a marquee starting pitcher
2- Prior's injury could be a lot more serious
3- There are high expectations from many Cub fans about the Trib being honest about Prior. If they don't print anything about Prior, many fans assume they are being dishonest.

Hangar, please, give it up. I don't care about a (supposed) media bias. Your overzealous rants are too much. If you do not want to support a newspaper, do not buy it.

Simple as that, read the Daily Herald, read the Sun-Times. Fact is, your act is old.

PaulDrake
03-25-2006, 11:56 AM
1-Prior is a franchise pitcher when healthy, one of the best in the game. Pods, OTOH, a decent leadoff man who can steal bases, i.e. not as important as a marquee starting pitcher
3- There are high expectations from many Cub fans about the Trib being honest about Prior. If they don't print anything about Prior, many fans assume they are being dishonest.

Hangar, please, give it up. I don't care about a (supposed) media bias. Your overzealous rants are too much. If you do not want to support a newspaper, do not buy it.

Simple as that, read the Daily Herald, read the Sun-Times. Fact is, your act is old. Podsednik might not be as "marquee" as Prior but he accomplished a lot more last year for his team than "Mr. Perfect Mechanics" did. Hangar may be over the top at times, but the Chicago media's slavish devotion to Cubbie blue is all too obvious for all but the most dense to see. A lot more over the top than Hangar too.

MarySwiss
03-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Mary:

Just wondering...aren't you in an executive position for a newspaper in Arizona?

Lip

Not guilty, Lip. I run my own business, MS Publishing Services. I provide writing, rewriting, editing, etc., services--for all kinds of clients, but mostly for the education market. I've worked in publishing for more than 20 years, but never for a newspaper.

Unless your question was meant to be in teal, in which case I guess I missed the point.

miker
03-25-2006, 12:14 PM
As always, kudos to George for showing up and offering his thoughts. It is appreciated.
Mr. Knue's thoughts are appreciated, but to quote Shakespeare: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Dick Allen
03-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Hangar-do you know why they update Prior a lot more than Pods (if they do at all...I have a hard time believing a single word out of your mouth)?

Simple as that, read the Daily Herald, read the Sun-Times. Fact is, your act is old.If you want Hangar to give it up, don't read the **** threads.

tebman
03-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Hangar may be over the top at times, but the Chicago media's slavish devotion to Cubbie blue is all too obvious for all but the most dense to see. A lot more over the top than Hangar too.
I absolutely agree. We complain about the bizarre media/corporate romance for the Cubs that is too often portrayed as a zero-sum game; that is, the Cubs are lovable, therefore the Sox are distasteful. By extension that also means that Cub fans are lovable people and we, as Sox fans, are distasteful.

Those of us who've been long-time Sox fans have felt this for years, but couldn't put a finger on it. What Hangar's done for the last several seasons is provide data that quantifies what we've long suspected.

The Tribune, of course, is the worst offender. They own the team, so that's no surprise. What's instructive is noting how other papers, broadcast stations, and popular entertainment voices join in on the Cub maypole-dance. Clearly it's all about marketing, and you and I and our fellow Sox fans have been pegged as less desirable by the marketeers. I find that offensive.

Hangar is simply employing the scientific method to prove or disprove the press/media's bias towards the Cubs. As with any scientific experiment, you can only ask, "what does the data show?" I think the answer to that question has been pretty clear.

Thanks, Hangar.

TomBradley72
03-25-2006, 05:59 PM

Simple as that, read the Daily Herald, read the Sun-Times. Fact is, your act is old.

Gimme a break...that's seeing he world through cubbie blue glasses. Pods is an All Star OF on the world champions and the clear catalyst to the world champions' offense...he deserves the same media attention as a pitcher who has averaged 8.5 wins/year over the last two years. His injury "could" be alot more serious...but it has not been diagnosed as such. The thread is clearly marked...if you don't like the topic...don't read it. Personal attacks on Hangar are b.s.

Realist
03-26-2006, 12:48 AM

:dtroll: Fact is... your post just plain stinks. I can smell your blue jersey, red rubber ball nose and big floppy shoes a mile away. Horrendous.