PDA

View Full Version : Caballo and Singleton

Vsahajpal
01-15-2002, 11:20 PM
Carlos Lee and Chris Singleton both filed for arbitration, the only two Sox players to do so. Here's my question, if this thing goes to an arbiter, what are the odds Singleton actually gets a reduction in salary?

Daver
01-16-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Carlos Lee and Chris Singleton both filed for arbitration, the only two Sox players to do so. Here's my question, if this thing goes to an arbiter, what are the odds Singleton actually gets a reduction in salary?

Based on what just happened with Barry Bonds,none at all.

nut_stock
01-16-2002, 12:15 AM
What did Chris make last season?

RichH55
01-16-2002, 12:16 AM
Arbitration is pretty much lose-lose-lose for the owner...give a raise if you win, give a raise if you lose, piss the player off in the hearing either way by pretty much having to bad mouth him and make it a him against you situation

RichH55
01-16-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
What did Chris make last season?

In line with the 4th OF pay he now deserves

MattSharp
01-16-2002, 12:38 AM
Hmm a high price tag would make SIngleton harder to trade...

PaleHoseGeorge
01-16-2002, 08:28 AM
FWIW, salary arbitration is a substitute for free agency. The owners never need to go to arbitration; they always have the option of allowing the player to test the free agent market.

That's why I never get too upset with these arbitration cases. The owner made their choice, they must live with the consequences. It's worth noting that the owners have consistently won more than half of the arbitration cases--which is one big reason they prefer this route to giving the player a chance to see what he is worth to other teams. Funny, I never hear them crying crocodile tears about this. :whiner:

The real issue are the "twin engines" of salary inflation, free agency and arbitration. The owners gave players arbitration in 1973, BEFORE the players won free agency (1975). Now the owners are stuck with giving young veterans arbitration salary awards pegged to what the arbitrator deemed comparable to a real-life free market price for older veterans. They didn't have this problem back in 1974 when even the best ballplayers made less than $200,000 per year. They screwed themselves not realizing their way of doing things wouldn't last forever. Messersmith and McNally were the watershed event.

Veeck was always good for a notable quote. He said it wasn't the price of acquiring stars that hurt baseball, it was the high-price of mediocrity. Chris Singleton ought to prove that point sometime next month. :cool:

irish rover
01-16-2002, 01:01 PM
baseball weekly is reporting the sox are close to a 3yr deal worth 12 mill for carlos

kermittheefrog
01-16-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

I hope the Sox are smart and put Singleton in his place by non-tendering him after he filed. The BoSox did it to Pokey Reese, it's great to see these guys like Reese who was expecting 3 mil a year for his Rey Ordonez act got shot down by not even making into arbitration.

RichH55
01-16-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I hope the Sox are smart and put Singleton in his place by non-tendering him after he filed. The BoSox did it to Pokey Reese, it's great to see these guys like Reese who was expecting 3 mil a year for his Rey Ordonez act got shot down by not even making into arbitration.

Someone will still take Singleton off of our hands, so sign him and deal him...at least you will get something for him