PDA

View Full Version : First Frank, then Jurassic....now it's Rowands turn

moochpuppy
03-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Rowand: No whining

By Paul White, Sports Weekly

Aaron Rowand and his wife were sitting by the pool one afternoon after the Philadelphia Phillies’ new center fielder got home from his day’s work.

“I said to her, ‘I think I’m the only guy left who hasn’t gotten into a verbal war with (the Chicago White Sox),’” says Rowand, who was traded from the World Series champions during the offseason.

Carl Everett, who went to Seattle as a free agent, and Frank Thomas, with Oakland after the White Sox also chose not to bring him back, have been critical of Chicago’s moves. Rowand is having none of that. “What do I have to be upset about?” Rowand says. “How can I complain about a guy trying to make his team better? I mean, I got traded for Jim Thome.”

The deal was Rowand and minor league pitchers Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Haigwood, both good prospects, for Illinois native Thome. If Thome is healthy enough to regain his status as a premier power hitter, then the White Sox have a stronger lineup then they had last year.

Rowand stabilizes center field for Philadelphia, and his wall-crashing, go-ahead-and-hit-me-with-a-pitch style should be a contagious element on a team that needs an injection of the right kind of emotion.

“Would I have liked to stay in Chicago? Sure,” Rowand says. “If it ever came up again that I had a chance to go back there, I would be willing.”

1951Campbell
03-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Aaron, you're one classy fellow. Best of luck to you.

daveeym
03-24-2006, 07:58 AM
That's why we love ya Aaron.

Baby Fisk
03-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Nothing but Class.

And questionable routes. :cool:

Jjav829
03-24-2006, 08:04 AM
Nice title. You almost had me on it, but I just couldn't believe that Rowand would be whining.

“Would I have liked to stay in Chicago? Sure,” Rowand says. “If it ever came up again that I had a chance to go back there, I would be willing.”
And I think the feeling is mutual on both the fans end and the FO end. Classy guy.

Good luck in Philly, Aaron. I'll be watching you on Extra Innings whenever possible. :thumbsup: :gulp:

MsSoxVixen22
03-24-2006, 08:05 AM
:whiner: Yet another reason for me to miss Aaron. Whatta guy..nothing but class and he has a good head on his shoulders. I'd be extremely happy if somehow he was back in a Sox uni.

Minnie Me
03-24-2006, 08:22 AM
I have not heard Willie Harris grumble about the Sox either. He is nothing but class all the way. I love you Wille Harris.

ChiSoxGirl
03-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Aaron Rowand personifies White Sox baseball- style and class! :thumbsup: We love and miss ya, Aaron!

soxfanatlanta
03-24-2006, 08:33 AM
I hope Carl and Frank are taking notes on this guy; it's never too late to learn how to handle things with dignity and grace.

Rocky Soprano
03-24-2006, 08:36 AM
We will miss you Aaron.
Best of Luck.
:gulp:

batmanZoSo
03-24-2006, 08:42 AM

Aaron Rowand and his wife were sitting by the pool one afternoon after the Philadelphia Phillies’ new center fielder got home from his day’s work.

“I said to her, ‘I think I’m the only guy left who hasn’t gotten into a verbal war with (the Chicago White Sox),’” says Rowand, who was traded from the World Series champions during the offseason.

Carl Everett, who went to Seattle as a free agent, and Frank Thomas, with Oakland after the White Sox also chose not to bring him back, have been critical of Chicago’s moves. Rowand is having none of that. “What do I have to be upset about?” Rowand says. “How can I complain about a guy trying to make his team better? I mean, I got traded for Jim Thome.”

The deal was Rowand and minor league pitchers Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Haigwood, both good prospects, for Illinois native Thome. If Thome is healthy enough to regain his status as a premier power hitter, then the White Sox have a stronger lineup then they had last year.

Rowand stabilizes center field for Philadelphia, and his wall-crashing, go-ahead-and-hit-me-with-a-pitch style should be a contagious element on a team that needs an injection of the right kind of emotion.

Rowand's an outstanding guy. He manages to see things as they truly are without letting his ego or feelings get in the way. That's pretty big of him to do, and not easy I imagine given the circumstances. No cheap shots, no bitterness. And getting traded like that, after being a valuable part of a World Series winner, you could easily argue that he does have a right to be bitter about being let go. That doesn't justify negative remarks made to the media in such a situation, but the fact that he's upbeat and realistic about his trading just shows what a big man he is. Others try to be the big man by trashing their former team and look like whiney dopes in the process. :whiner:

If anyone deserves our best wishes, it's Aaron. :thumbsup:

SOecks
03-24-2006, 08:44 AM
When's his contract up again? Why do I think he's signed through 2006 and 2007? Either way I'd love to have him back if his numbers stay decent. What a great guy.

FedEx227
03-24-2006, 08:45 AM
This is one of the reasons I got an Aaron Rowand jersey and will continue to wear it even if hes not on the Sox. He represents all that pro athletes should be, they understand the financial and team aspect of the game, they hustle all the way and they aren't so overly ego-driven that they can't possibly understand a team getting rid of them to try and improve in at least one field.

If we ever do get the chance to get A-Row back (albiet unlikely), I would welcome him with open arms.

mjharrison72
03-24-2006, 09:07 AM
I have not heard Willie Harris grumble about the Sox either. He is nothing but class all the way. I love you Wille Harris.
That's because he did his grumbling last offseason, when the Sox signed Tadahito.

EDIT: Here's the thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44630) where we discussed it, but the link to the Southtown article (guess who wrote it... one hint: think "tailgunner") isn't working anymore because it's over a year old. I still remember the way Willie cried, though!

robiwho
03-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Just when I thought I couldn't love Aaron any more!

spiffie
03-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Aaron Rowand just gave me an NL team to root for this year. What a classy guy, and a credit to this game. Shame we have no home games when the Phillies are in town to play the Cubs this year, or it would have been nice to try and do something to give Aaron his ring before a game and let the crowds give him a very deserved standing O.

Iwritecode
03-24-2006, 09:56 AM
"I mean, I got traded for Jim Thome.”

That's an awesome quote. :cool:

tick53
03-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Very Classy Man...Hey Aaron do your old Sox Friends a favor and jack a few
long ones in Wrigley this year!

TomBradley72
03-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Would love to see Aaron back on the Southside......a few years down the road....how about an outfield of: Rowand/Anderson/Sweeney ?

I'll be at Miller Park in May to celebrate/honor Aaron for all he did to bring the trophy to the southside.... :gulp:

thepaulbowski
03-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Rowand is one of few guys in sports that "gets it."

LuvSox
03-24-2006, 11:41 AM

Harris cried every time the Sox had somebody better than him at 2nd.:whiner:

Rowand is a class act.

Cuck the Fubs
03-24-2006, 11:54 AM
:bandance: That's why I love A - Row :bandance:

As much as I love the addition of Thome, I am going to miss Aaron alot!

Just watching the Sox Pride & WS DVDs proves how big of a part of the team he was.:worship:

ChiSoxLifer
03-24-2006, 12:12 PM
I'll bet anyone ten bucks you'll never read about this in the Cubune.

miker
03-24-2006, 12:14 PM
I hope Carl and Frank are taking notes on this guy; it's never too late to learn how to handle things with dignity and grace.

Old dogs don't learn new tricks.

moochpuppy
03-24-2006, 12:19 PM
I'll bet anyone ten bucks you'll never read about this in the Cubune.

The only place I saw it was Sports Weekly and it was only in the print addition. I had to type the whole article. :whiner:

IggyD
03-24-2006, 12:24 PM
I will miss Rowands Class, my wife will miss his A**:)

DaleJRFan
03-24-2006, 12:47 PM
What a guy. Hopefully highschool/college athletes are watching the way he handles himself. Good role model for the younglings.

I especially love the line "Are you kidding me? I got traded for Jim Thome." :cool:

I would love to take Aaron back (however that would be possible? :?: ), but the one problem is, Brian Anderson is going to be one helluva player.

BNLSox
03-24-2006, 01:22 PM
I actually met an old roommate of Aaron's at the World Baseball Classic (USA v. Japan). He had spoken with Aaron's wife after the trade and she had said that while Aaron was sad to not be able to defend the title that he was excited about the opportunity to be a marquis player for Philly and that perhaps someday in some capacity he could return "home" to the southside.

Sounds like he's echoing the same sentiments to the media.

A true class act and hopefully he will have a world full of success with Philadelphia!

lostletters
03-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Aaron Rowand is one of the classiest guys in baseball, that got traded for one of the other classiest guys in baseball.

He got traded for a guy that is almost garunteed to appear in the HOF, that is not an insult, in fact he is taking it for what it is.

FedEx227
03-24-2006, 01:37 PM
For those who want to give Rowand the cheers he deserves:

he'll be at Miller Park

May 16: 7:05 PM
May 17: 7:05 PM
May 18: 12:05 PM

spawn
03-24-2006, 01:42 PM
That's a guy that gets it. That's what you'd call a true 'teammate'. At least of the three mentioned, he's the one who understands it's a business.

BTW, I don't recall Caros Lee whining either.

Jjav829
03-24-2006, 01:50 PM

That's because no one cares about what Willie Harris thinks.

But really, this act is getting old. Your posts will start going to the roadhouse if you don't want to give it up.

batmanZoSo
03-24-2006, 02:01 PM
That's because no one cares about what Willie Harris thinks.

But really, this act is getting old. Your posts will start going to the roadhouse if you don't want to give it up.

LOL...what's the deal with this creep? This is just as bizarre as Timo_Perez and his/her (hopefully her) love affair with Timo. Ah, the internet...:cool:

PicktoCLick72
03-24-2006, 02:02 PM
You can't spell class without ARow. Well, you can but that's not the point.

Palehose13
03-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Ah Aaron, I will miss you. You truly are one of the few good guys in the sport. I'm looking forward to seeing you in Milwaukee!!!

starboy0
03-24-2006, 02:53 PM
This very moment as I read this thread I'm wearing my Aaron Rowand vest jersey. Told the kids at school today I was paying my respects to what he did for us.

thomas35forever
03-24-2006, 04:34 PM
I really miss Aaron. It'd be sweet if he could finish his career here.

michned
03-24-2006, 07:57 PM
I really miss Aaron. It'd be sweet if he could finish his career here.
I see him as the kind of guy who is involved with the organization after his playing career, ala Minnie Minoso and most of the Sox coaches.

Also, I would not be surprised to see him at the ring ceremony April 4. The Phillies are off that day and don't play until the next night. I think Dave Roberts did that with the Red Sox last year. The Padres were off, and he showed up for the ceremony wearing his Red Sox jersey over his street clothes.

Lip Man 1
03-24-2006, 08:09 PM
I didn't know Willie Harris WAS a major legue player...sure fooled me!

Lip

Fake Chet Lemon
03-25-2006, 12:43 PM

Yea, Thomas, Everett, Rowand AND WILLIE. Sure, they are all in the same category.

miker
03-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Major legue? Is he related to that guy who attacked Gamboa?

XplodingScorbord
03-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Major legue? Is he related to that guy who attacked Gamboa?

Well said, my friend! :roflmao:

throwsoftjax
03-25-2006, 01:47 PM
I see him as the kind of guy who is involved with the organization after his playing career, ala Minnie Minoso and most of the Sox coaches.

Also, I would not be surprised to see him at the ring ceremony April 4. The Phillies are off that day and don't play until the next night. I think Dave Roberts did that with the Red Sox last year. The Padres were off, and he showed up for the ceremony wearing his Red Sox jersey over his street clothes.

I'd love to see him back as a bench coach or anything. Anything that would bring him back to the organization. He seems to be one of few with that kind of class in the game these days.

I'd also love to see him come and share the joy of the ring ceremony with the team and all the fans. It wouldn't surprise me either to see him here for that!! I hope he comes!! He earned it!!

Theanticub
03-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Wow, one of the more classy quotes I've heard in a long time.

We'd definitely take you back as well Aaron.

Realist
03-26-2006, 01:18 AM
I think I may actually like Rowand more now than when he was with the Sox. :?:

Realist
03-26-2006, 01:19 AM
I think I may actually like Rowand more now than when he was with the Sox. :?:

chisoxfanatic
03-26-2006, 01:41 AM

Lip

Let's hide this before bafiarocks sees it! :o:

FedEx227
03-26-2006, 02:05 AM
Also, I would not be surprised to see him at the ring ceremony April 4. The Phillies are off that day and don't play until the next night. I think Dave Roberts did that with the Red Sox last year.

Not sure about Dave Roberts I know Derek Lowe did though, and showed up in his Red Sox jersey/hat... but he was on the Dodgers. I'm sure they loved seeing that. But ya, if Lowe can do it, lets slap a Sox jersey on Rowand and send him out there, he deserves it!

flo-B-flo
03-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Not surprised at all by his quotes. The guy was all class all the time. As true a Sox player as they come.

SoLongFrank
03-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Rowand shouldn't get comfy in Philly. That $9 mil in his last yr makes him trade bait already. If he's not reached that status as a hitter he'll be moving on.

Anderson is finally clicking in the spring though & I've seen him make some nice plays. He needs more accuracy on that cannon of his. Hopefully that will happen. I think he's going to be a mainstay if he stays healthy.

I don't see ARow coming back. :(: But then again it's comforting we can win without him :smile:

Jjav829
03-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Rowand shouldn't get comfy in Philly. That $9 mil in his last yr makes him trade bait already. If he's not reached that status as a hitter he'll be moving on.

What $9 million in his last year? Rowand will make $3.25 million this year and he has a $3.25 player option next year with the team holding a $5 million option. There is no year in his contract where he will come anywhere close to $9 million.

jongarlandlover
03-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Just when I thought I couldn't like Aaron anymore...he is total class. God, I so miss him being on the team!

Bobbo35
03-26-2006, 07:44 PM

Brought a dang tear to my eye! Why can't others be like him?

The Dude
03-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Aaron, you're one classy fellow. Best of luck to you.

Yes he sure is. Much more mature as well compared to his elder former teammates. Aaron, I think we'll see you again in Cf down the line. :cool:

Scotty Love
03-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Aaron, we will miss you and hope some day you will be back. Carl and Frank are not even in the same league in class as Aaron is.

SoLongFrank
03-27-2006, 12:56 PM
I thought I read years ago there was an option for $9 mil but I can't find that now. It's highly unlikely he'll accept a no-raise option for $2007 so basically to keep him the Phils will need to pay him $5 mil or offer him a contract extension.

He's considered a good-great CFer with a slightly below avg bat. But when you consider how many runs he saves a team it makes his overall contribution well above avg.

he gone!
04-10-2006, 04:17 AM
**** em up in philly aaron!!!!

WhiteSoxFan84
04-10-2006, 04:27 AM
Whether Jerry Reinsdorf is around or not when Aaron Rowand retires, you bet your ass he will give him a job with the White Sox. Whether it's as a commentator or a coach, Rowand will spend his post-playing days on the southside of Chicago.

illiniwhitesox
04-10-2006, 03:22 PM
I just hope that Kenny finds a way to bring him back some day. He has a knack for bringing back legacy players (see Crazy Carl, don't see Roberto A.) and often they contribute in key ways.

Edward
04-10-2006, 03:26 PM
You can watch Rowand on National TV tonight. Philies @ Braves 6pm CT ESPN.

SoLongFrank
04-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Rowand, on the Phils 1-5 start: "We've played sloppy at times, and it's come back to bite us, but you have to try and look on the bright side. It's better to go through a stretch like this early and try to right the ship."

I think Aaron's adjusting to the lights there. In day games he's hitting .364 with a .916 OPS. But he's hitless in night games.