PDA

View Full Version : Book Signing for "Say It's So"

Daver
03-23-2006, 09:56 PM
For anyone interested in getting their copy signed, or buying a copy of Phil Rogers book on the 2005 World Champion White Sox, titled "Say It's So" There will be a book signing Fri March 31st at Lizzie McNeill's Irish Pub located at 400 N. McClurg Ct. in Chicago. It will go from 5:30 to 7:30 and books will be available at $13.50 each, signed.

TheDarkGundam
03-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Cool! I just picked up the book the other day, it's a good read.
I wish I could go and get it signed.

Hangar18
03-24-2006, 01:34 PM
If traffic isnt horrible next week, I think I'll make that trip and say hello to Rogers .....

Paxson93
03-24-2006, 02:15 PM
There will also be a signing downtown at the Borders on State on April 6th-- 12:30. Signings are generally up on the 3rd floor.

RadioheadRocks
03-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Wish I could get mine signed too. So far I've read the first four chapters and it's a good read. However I've noticed a couple of things that apparently slipped by the editors and proofreaders though... there is a repeated paragraph on page 10 referring to the rock concerts held at Comiskey in 1979 ("Downpours, however, plagued the concerts..."), and Chapter 2 ("Ozzie's Wild Ride") ends abruptly with an incomplete sentence. Aside from that I am enjoying what I've read thus far.

Brian26
03-26-2006, 07:04 PM
For anyone interested in getting their copy signed, or buying a copy of Phil Rogers book on the 2005 World Champion White Sox, titled "Say It's So" There will be a book signing Fri March 31st at Lizzie McNeill's Irish Pub located at 400 N. McClurg Ct. in Chicago. It will go from 5:30 to 7:30 and books will be available at $13.50 each, signed.

Guys- this is an absolute steal. I went over to the Borders on Michigan Avenue today, and the same book is $24.95.

chisoxmike
03-26-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm going to try and make it to this, I work pretty close and get off of work at 5. Hope to see some of you guys there.

BBaum21
03-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Phil lives five minutes away from me and I've gotten to meet him a few times. In December, I got him to autograph a copy for me and my father, which was a Christmas present.

Very good read and well-recommended to any White Sox fan.

salty99
03-28-2006, 05:35 PM
There is also another signing at Anderson's Bookshop in Naperville April 11th at 7PM

thewalkoffshot
03-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Wish I could get mine signed too. So far I've read the first four chapters and it's a good read. However I've noticed a couple of things that apparently slipped by the editors and proofreaders though... there is a repeated paragraph on page 10 referring to the rock concerts held at Comiskey in 1979 ("Downpours, however, plagued the concerts..."), and Chapter 2 ("Ozzie's Wild Ride") ends abruptly with an incomplete sentence. Aside from that I am enjoying what I've read thus far.

This book is a good read, but in addition to these errors there are a handful more, that I've noticed, and I'm only halfway through the book. There are misspelled words every few pages, and one paragraph starts with a floating period out in front of it.

Should we notify the publisher of these problems, or just look over them?

SoLongFrank
03-29-2006, 03:30 PM
I never agreed with Landis' ruling. MLB should have conducted it's own investigation & based on the evidence alone conclude which ball player's were active participants in fixing games.

He completely ignored the possibility that non-participants could be threatended with bodily harm for themselves or their family's if they were to inform the club owner, coaches, or mgmt of the fix.

Joe Jackson & Buck Weaver should not have been banned. They should have been exonerated. The same applies to any other player who played at an all-star caliber level during that series.

IMO, every year that goes by that MLB does not acknowledge this is simply continuation of the Black Sox scandal itself. The scandal wasn't just the fix of the games. It was Landis' ruling which essentially blocked an investigation that could have led to a new grand jury indictment on the gamblers themselves.

Brian26
03-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Anyone else going to this?

Hangar18
03-31-2006, 09:22 AM
There is also another signing at Anderson's Bookshop in Naperville April 11th at 7PM

really? Is PRogers going to be there? this is right by me, might do this instead

Hangar18
03-31-2006, 09:29 AM
This book is a good read, but in addition to these errors there are a handful more..............

He mentions in a chapter that the pressure was on the SOX after the cubs made it to the WS in 03 ........

Hangar18
03-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Anyone else going to this?

Im going to make an attempt to do this, but traffic better not be terrible tonite on 88 .........

voodoochile
03-31-2006, 09:52 AM
I'll be there too...

salty99
03-31-2006, 10:33 AM
really? Is PRogers going to be there? this is right by me, might do this instead

Yes he is. The book is 24.95 there.

progers13
03-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Hanger, if traffic's bad on 88, I won't be there either ... Just kidding. I'll be there. Should be a great night. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for giving this some publicity on your site, and big ups to Johh for putting it together. See you guys tonight.

chisoxfanatic
03-31-2006, 09:22 PM
I'll be there too...

And, it was great meeting ya there, Voodoo!

I'm looking forward to reading the book! I think I'll bring it on the plane with me next weekend.

Brian26
03-31-2006, 10:15 PM
And, it was great meeting ya there, Voodoo!

I'm looking forward to reading the book! I think I'll bring it on the plane with me next weekend.

Hanger and I show up at 6:25, and both of you were already gone! :angry:

Brian26
03-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Kudos to the owner, John...TOTAL CLASS ACT! Purchased three rounds for Hanger and me....just needs to get Turner South on his Satellite system and we'll be set! Great place! Phil was cool too.

chisoxfanatic
03-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Hanger and I show up at 6:25, and both of you were already gone! :angry:

That's around the time I left, actually.

Brian26
03-31-2006, 10:28 PM
That's around the time I left, actually.

I know. John said we JUST missed you!

Daver
03-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Kudos to the owner, John...TOTAL CLASS ACT! Purchased three rounds for Hanger and me....just needs to get Turner South on his Satellite system and we'll be set! Great place! Phil was cool too.

John is a member here, I have exchanged numerous e-mails with him, he strikes me as an upfront guy. He has offered to host any WSI outings you folks want to arrange.

Brian26
03-31-2006, 11:02 PM
John is a member here, I have exchanged numerous e-mails with him, he strikes me as an upfront guy. He has offered to host any WSI outings you folks want to arrange.

He told me he was setting a book aside for you too :D:

The big news coming out of the event (Dan McGrath was there along with Phil), is that Hanger might get a story in the Trib.

Daver
03-31-2006, 11:14 PM
He told me he was setting a book aside for you too :D:

I couldn't make the book signing, John was nice enough to get me a copy from the signing. My new job has me working downtown, so I hope to be able to thank him in person.

Lip Man 1
03-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Hangar is getting WHAT?

Should that be in teal??

Lip

Brian26
03-31-2006, 11:34 PM
Hangar is getting WHAT?

Should that be in teal??

Lip

McGrath may do a story on Hangar and the trophy tour. No teal.

Lip Man 1
03-31-2006, 11:57 PM
Congrats to Hangar (but what does that say for the Tribune?) :D:

Lip

elrod
04-01-2006, 01:18 AM
This book is a good read, but in addition to these errors there are a handful more, that I've noticed, and I'm only halfway through the book. There are misspelled words every few pages, and one paragraph starts with a floating period out in front of it.

Should we notify the publisher of these problems, or just look over them?

Notify the publisher. There will be multiple editions and the publisher will make corrections after the readers identify mistakes like the ones you listed. Popular publishing places a premium on speed (sorry abou the alliteration). First editions of big-time books often have these kinds of errors. Let them know.

Hangar18
04-01-2006, 11:53 AM

John was a most gracious host indeed, very nice guy. Brian26 and I kept getting our drinks comped by him, thanks again John. I told him in the very near future, we will definitely have a WSI party of some sort there, very nice laid back bar, already one of my favorites, and ive only been there once! It was very nice to meet Phil Rogers and talk about sports with him. It was also nice to meet Dan McGrath also, trib bashing aside. There was another gentleman with them who I cannot recall his name now, but also a trib exec.
Theyve seen pictures of the "other" Trophy and they loved it and couldnt believe how "real" it looks, and want to do a story on it, heh heh. If only they could do 10 stories on me and the Trophy and we can catch up in the story count, as this will definitely count as SoxFluff in my Media Watches.:cool: