PDA

View Full Version : Cubs bashing at funeral

thomas35forever
03-23-2006, 05:18 PM
I was at my grandfather's funeral yesterday. He was a Cubs fan and the priest delivering the homily, who's a Sox fan, happened to bring it up. He pointed it out as a flaw in his life and he eventually said "I don't think the Cubs are gonna win up there either." The congregation laughed. Sure it's a little cruel for a funeral, but it's funny cruel.

Dan Mega
03-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Unless the pastor knew him personally, it was inappropriate. In my opinion.

MarySwiss
03-23-2006, 05:27 PM
I was at my grandfather's funeral yesterday. He was a Cubs fan and the priest delivering the homily, who's a Sox fan, happened to bring it up. He pointed it out as a flaw in his life and he eventually said "I don't think the Cubs are gonna win up there either." The congregation laughed. Sure it's a little cruel for a funeral, but it's funny cruel.

Sorry, but I don't think that's at all funny. Especially from a priest. Your grandfather was a Cubs fan, so what? And I don't think a funeral is the place to point out flaws in people's lives.

I'm pretty sure that if it were my funeral and a Cub fan priest said my life was flawed, my friends and family would not have been happy--to put it mildly.

TomBradley72
03-23-2006, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to judge..it the deceased and the pastor were good friends it's just good natured humor. Sounds like the congregation/family/friends agreed based on their reaction.

rightsox
03-23-2006, 05:44 PM
That's definitely part of "cubs culture". All of the cubs fans I know wouldn't mind having someone make fun of the cubs at their funeral. Nobody's harder on the cubs than actual cubs fans--no, no... that's obviously not true. At any rate, they're still pretty hard on the cubs.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather passing away, though. At least you got to laugh a little bit at the funeral, you know?

MarySwiss
03-23-2006, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to judge..it the deceased and the pastor were good friends it's just good natured humor. Sounds like the congregation/family/friends agreed based on their reaction.

This is a good point...but would the deceased have agreed? Sorry, but unless as you say, the deceased and the priest were good friends--or the family and friends had approved the remarks--I think it was inappropriate.

EDIT: My sympathy on your grandfather's passing. That should have been said sooner; thanks for pointing it out, rightsox.

thomas35forever
03-23-2006, 05:47 PM
This is a good point...but would the deceased have agreed? Sorry, but unless as you say, the deceased and the priest were good friends--or the family and friends had approved the remarks--I think it was inappropriate.

The priest has been a family friend for some years now. He always says Mass at our family reunions.

ilsox7
03-23-2006, 05:50 PM
The priest has been a family friend for some years now. He always says Mass at our family reunions.

That's really cool. I think what he did was good then as it maybe helped to put a smile on faces that were in mourning.

Personally, I was my funeral to be a big party. Let people celebrate my life (if anyone wants to attend, that is!).

MarySwiss
03-23-2006, 05:53 PM

Well, that's a different story. Sounds like you all were comfortable with his remarks and that's what matters.

rjdmichjr
03-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Some of you folks are so uptight....God, some of you are so politically correct you have no sense of humor....Jeez...

woodenleg
03-23-2006, 06:07 PM
First of all, my condolences with regard to your grandfather. Grandfathers who love baseball are precious.

I seem to recall the priest at my uncle's funeral some years ago making similar remarks (my uncle was a huge Cub fan). Maybe it was the same priest! Don't Cub fans joke about this kind of thing all the time? The priest also said maybe my uncle could put in a good word for them in heaven....What can I say, he was a really quiet guy. I think my grandfather (HUGE Sox fan and his younger brother) beat him to it, though...

ChiSoxLifer
03-23-2006, 06:34 PM
I think it's pretty funny but who am I to judge if it's inappropriate? Your grandfather and the priest were close enough for the priest to make that comment so it's between them.

RKMeibalane
03-23-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. You have my condolences.

As far as the comments during the funeral, as long as you're okay with what was said, I don't see any problem with what happened.

doublem23
03-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Some of you folks are so uptight....God, some of you are so politically correct you have no sense of humor....Jeez...

Not that I am offended with what was said, especially considering the priest seems to be a family friend, but expecting a funeral to be respectful and not open mic night at a comedy club is being uptight and P.C.?

:rolleyes:

daveeym
03-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Sorry for your loss thomas35forever.

Not that I am offended with what was said, especially considering the priest seems to be a family friend, but expecting a funeral to be respectful and not open mic night at a comedy club is being uptight and P.C.?

:rolleyes: No kidding, all funerals/wakes are different. The last family wake I attended was for my my Irish great uncle. In the room next to us was an Italian wake. You want to see the spectrum of differences watch those two going on at the same time. As my family commented on it, you have an Italian wake that's very somber, lot's of wailing and crying, everyone dressed in black where the Irish wake is everyone dressed up but not all in black, an excuse for a family reunion and for everyone to go out and get drunk afterwards. The appropriateness of the cubs comment is obviously going to differ in different situations.

Hangar18
03-24-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that if it were my funeral and a Cub fan priest said my life was flawed, my friends and family would not have been happy--to put it mildly.

Yes, but the cub priest would be incorrect in his assessment, they are the fans that are flawed. We prove it here everyday .............

Hangar18
03-24-2006, 08:20 AM

anytime you can make a light-hearted moment out of something like that, it cant be that bad. im sure he was up high laughing too saying "dadgum, hes right"

PushnThaEscalade
03-24-2006, 08:59 AM

Sorry about your grandfather, thomas35forever. The priest was right, If the Cute and Cuddly Baby Bears can't win down here, than what makes anyone think they can win up there? :D:

Chicken Dinner
03-24-2006, 10:49 AM

Agreed......WOW!

Tekijawa
03-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Personally, I was my funeral to be a big party. Let people celebrate my life (if anyone wants to attend, that is!).

I want my Funeral to be like one of those New Orleans ones, where it starts out as a somber parade and at the end of the Parade the music is blaring and everyone is dancing around. And then they'll open up my casket and there I'll be all decked out in a crazy party uniform surrounded by ice with a tapped keg right in the middle of my body... it'll be great.

As for the up tightness here on this board. I'm sure his Grandfather is getting it handed to him up there now too. It's pretty obvious that God isn't a Cubs Fan either!

daveeym
03-24-2006, 11:13 AM
[quote=Tekijawa] And then they'll open up my casket and there I'll be all decked out in a crazy party uniform surrounded by ice with a tapped keg right in the middle of my body... it'll be great.quote] Keg stand anyone?

woodenleg
03-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Sorry for your loss thomas35forever.

No kidding, all funerals/wakes are different. The last family wake I attended was for my my Irish great uncle. In the room next to us was an Italian wake. You want to see the spectrum of differences watch those two going on at the same time. As my family commented on it, you have an Italian wake that's very somber, lot's of wailing and crying, everyone dressed in black where the Irish wake is everyone dressed up but not all in black, an excuse for a family reunion and for everyone to go out and get drunk afterwards. The appropriateness of the cubs comment is obviously going to differ in different situations.
That's the truth. The Irish don't think humor is inappropriate at a funeral or wake. It makes things more bearable.

Although some Italians use the humor, too. I know my grandfather and all of my uncles did. It's usually the women who are all wailing and crying.

At every funeral I go to, someone always gets up and tells funny stories about the deceased. If it's a part of your family's culture, you shouldn't have to answer to someone else's 'standards'.

white sox bill
03-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your Grandpa...hopefully he lead a long, happy life. Not too long ago, I was at a freinds house and my frind handed me a funeral program that had a picture of Wrigley on front. "Woody was a cubs fans eh?" I asked. Yes I was told. "Poor guy" was all I commented. A few people (there was a party there) got silent and I knew I may have crossed the line, espcially since this guy died at age 40 of cancer:(: , so I covered my butt and said "Him and all the other ones who didn't get a chance to see a WS on the north side" Next time I'll know when to keep my pie hole closed LOL!

Railsplitter
03-24-2006, 01:26 PM
I want my Funeral to be like one of those New Orleans ones, where it starts out as a somber parade and at the end of the Parade the music is blaring and everyone is dancing around. And then they'll open up my casket and there I'll be all decked out in a crazy party uniform surrounded by ice with a tapped keg right in the middle of my body... it'll be great.

As for the up tightness here on this board. I'm sure his Grandfather is getting it handed to him up there now too. It's pretty obvious that God isn't a Cubs Fan either!

I often wondered if the funeral in the pre-credit scene from Live and Let Die had any validity