PDA

View Full Version : SI's Who's Hot/Who's Not: Chicago Baseball - NOT

Unregistered
03-23-2006, 04:09 PM
From the March 27th Issue of Sports Illustrated:

"Who's Not:
Chicago Baseball
Yes, yes, it's only spring training, but still: a major-league worst 4-14 record for the White Sox? And manager Ozzie Guillen is fretting over the champs' awful bullpen. ("I have never seen anything like this," he groused.) Things are even gloomier in Cubland, where stud starters Mark Prior and Kerry Wood are headed to the disabled list. Again."

Being dragged into the same category as those losers is bad enough, but this whole blurb seems rather premature based on a handful of pre-season games. I guess that's what we're looking at as far as the media's stance on the Sox this year: The Champs are in a tailspin!

:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
03-23-2006, 04:11 PM
I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say a 'tailspin,' but I do think genuine concerns are being expressed about the bullpen from the people who should know... namely Ozzie and his coaching staff.

Spring training or not that says something.

We'll see.

Lip

TheOldRoman
03-23-2006, 04:13 PM
You know the Trib is going to pick this story off the AP wire.
If they do, I can give it a proper use - toilet paper.

We should expect this garbage all season, just like last season. It is only a matter of time until one of the mediots accuses a Sox player of steroids without any proof, causing another media storm.

MarySwiss
03-23-2006, 04:13 PM

"Who's Not:
Chicago Baseball
Yes, yes, it's only spring training, but still: a major-league worst 4-14 record for the White Sox? And manager Ozzie Guillen is fretting over the champs' awful bullpen. ("I have never seen anything like this," he groused.) Things are even gloomier in Cubland, where stud starters Mark Prior and Kerry Wood are headed to the disabled list. Again."

Being dragged into the same category as those losers is bad enough, but this whole blurb seems rather premature based on a handful of pre-season games. I guess that's what we're looking at as far as the media's stance on the Sox this year: The Champs are in a tailspin!

Right! And last year they were picked by many to finish fourth in the division. Sweat not; the more they malign us, the happier we should be!

And since when is Spring Training a harbinger of anything?

downstairs
03-23-2006, 04:16 PM
A spring training record is irrelevant- because it could be the fault of guys who will never make the team.

However, many of our starters have been horrid. That's a slight concern, sure... but lets see what happens in April.

We have a lot of options for relief that have not been tapped... McCarthy, Cotts... and it would not be beyond KW to go get someone if Plans A, B, and C all fail...

Finally... if relief is our biggest problem- that's not the biggest deal. Our starters have proven to be inning eaters... so they may just have to sit back, strap it down, and prepare for some 8-9 inning outtings.

Baby Fisk
03-23-2006, 04:17 PM
If I were Horsemaster Fred, I'd launch a 400-word tangent about how the Sox are really pulling a rope-a-dope on all of baseball. People it's rope-a-dope! But I am not that venerable ranch hand, so let me just say GO SOX!

SoxFan78
03-23-2006, 04:22 PM
I could give a **** what SI says about the White Sox. This is coming from the same publication that didnt even give the White Sox the cover when they won the world series for the first time in 88 years.

http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0705/3494902.jpg

"I'm Ron Burgundy, Go **** yourself Sports Illustrated!"

oeo
03-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Eh, let them say what they want...if they knew anything they would know that this is SPRING TRAINING. The team is starting to look good, and the pieces are coming together with Podsednik back, McCarthy looking good today, and Hermanson possibly ready to go by opening day. We'll see who's hot in a few weeks...

IlliniSox4Life
03-23-2006, 04:47 PM
*sigh*

Alright, I'll agree with the basic underlining idea that we are not "hot". You certainly can't say that we are. However, what Sports Illustrated doesn't realize (and about 95% of WSI do realize) is for the most part, it doesn't matter. Seriously, we should start a magazine and call is WSI, Wise Sports Illustrated.

Also, a bad spring can be good for us. We didn't have a hot spring last year, and look how we started. Plus, we had a bad second half, and look what it lead to in the post season. Maybe Ozzie just is a genius who is throwing these games on purpose to keep us under the radar and some good bulletin board material.

itsnotrequired
03-23-2006, 05:00 PM
If I were Horsemaster Fred, I'd launch a 400-word tangent about how the Sox are really pulling a rope-a-dope on all of baseball. People it's rope-a-dope! But I am not that venerable ranch hand, so let me just say GO SOX!

"Baby Fisk your bile and broodiness is more than understandable, you know I think I recognized you as I flew down the freeway today at unimaginable speeds to Get to my destination. That was you right, along with Dustry Bronson and Nomar Manwich and several other notable Cubwards, who I Saw scuttling along the hiways and byways collecting trash for something to eat. But lo, the white sox continue to Be High in Glory toward this week underneath for Red Sox garagejob, ok High and aplenty season to be sure, especially compared to the wet sandwich that your friendy Cubs try to feed you on the regular. There is a time and place for this team and it is knowed as a steel toolbox, have a seat buddy its gonna be a long ride Heh"

How was that?:cool:

MarySwiss
03-23-2006, 05:09 PM
"Baby Fisk your bile and broodiness is more than understandable, you know I think I recognized you as I flew down the freeway today at unimaginable speeds to Get to my destination. That was you right, along with Dustry Bronson and Nomar Manwich and several other notable Cubwards, who I Saw scuttling along the hiways and byways collecting trash for something to eat. But lo, the white sox continue to Be High in Glory toward this week underneath for Red Sox garagejob, ok High and aplenty season to be sure, especially compared to the wet sandwich that your friendy Cubs try to feed you on the regular. There is a time and place for this team and it is knowed as a steel toolbox, have a seat buddy its gonna be a long ride Heh"

Uh, what? :?:

DaleJRFan
03-23-2006, 05:15 PM
I didn't read all of the replies in the thread, but...

Isn't it a GOOD thing that SI is badmouthing the Sox?? You make the cover of SI or if they pick you to win anything in a prediction piece, you LOSE.

SI picking on the Sox = Good News.

Baby Fisk
03-23-2006, 05:22 PM

It's like he was suddenly in the room, kicking at my chair with his boot. :cool:

ilsox7
03-23-2006, 05:47 PM
And manager Ozzie Guillen is fretting over the champs' awful bullpen. ("I have never seen anything like this," he groused.)

I normally don't care about this stuff, but when a "journalist" grossly misuses a quote, it pisses me off. Ozzie made that comment about all of the crappy lefties brought into camp. It was not about the bullpen as a whole.

spiffie
03-23-2006, 06:18 PM
It's like he was suddenly in the room, kicking at my chair with his boot. :cool:
http://www.sleevestar.com/awesome/Horsemaster.jpg

woodenleg
03-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Right! And last year they were picked by many to finish fourth in the division. Sweat not; the more they malign us, the happier we should be!

I'm not concerned about that. Spring Training is the time to scope out the problems, work all of the 'kinks' out. That's been Ozzie's m.o. from the get-go. I'm not even watching, they suck so bad. But that's okay, this is the time to figure out where the problems are. Come summer, they should be just fine.

You can't look at how they're doing in ST - you have to look at the talent we have to get an idea about how we should fare this year.

santo=dorf
03-23-2006, 06:47 PM
It's funny how all of the sudden our bullpen has become "awful," yet that didn't stop the Sporting News from picking the Sox to repeat with a "bullpen as hearty as a pot roast."

chisoxfanatic
03-23-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't seem to recall the Sox doing very well last year in spring training games, and look where they ended up for the season--World Champions! Tons of players who won't even make the Opening Night roster have been playing during these games. Ozzie will have the guys who are goinig to be on that roster ready for the games that REALLY count.

soxinem1
03-23-2006, 06:56 PM
I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say a 'tailspin,' but I do think genuine concerns are being expressed about the bullpen from the people who should know... namely Ozzie and his coaching staff.

Spring training or not that says something.

We'll see.

Lip

I agree about the bullpen stuff, but how dare them not only downcast the 2006 season because of a ST record, bu then lump us together with those goofs on the other side of town. At least Eric Mack w/CBS admitted he was totally wrong about the White Sox.

ESPN, SI, Trib = biased, amateur, and unobjective journalism.

Bobbo35
03-23-2006, 08:02 PM

Ya, thats the way I figure things now, the more they put the Sox down the better.

miker
03-23-2006, 08:47 PM
SI? Yawnnnnn..............

thomas35forever
03-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Once again, the world champions are the Rodney Dangerfield team of baseball. Worse yet, they're in the same sentence as the Lovable Losers. But who really cares? SI's full of squares anyway.

itsnotrequired
03-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Uh, what? :?:

You OFs are all the same. The DBs know the wisdom of the Horsemaster. Get with the times!:D:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46575&highlight=bizarre+world+live

SOecks
03-24-2006, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't mind this if it was 15 games into the season but to mention records in Spring Training is really pathetic. Too bad I get this rag delivered every week. I only ordered it to get the free Sox Championship gear.

palehozenychicty
03-24-2006, 09:11 AM
:rolleyes: If we're worried about SI hating on us, the team is in good shape.

Minnie Me
03-24-2006, 11:30 AM
This may have been brought up before but at the O'hare main parking elevator the floors are marked with sports teams and music to make them easier to remember what floor you are parked on. The order is:
1. Cubs
2. Bears
3. White Sox
4. Bulls
5. BlackHawks

This confirms that Chicago is still a Cubs town.

itsnotrequired
03-24-2006, 11:31 AM
This may have been brought up before but at the O'hare main parking elevator the floors are marked with sports teams and music to make them easier to remember what floor you are parked on. The order is:
1. Cubs
2. Bears
3. White Sox
4. Bulls
5. BlackHawks

This confirms that Chicago is still a Cubs town.

I think I need a Homefish-esque chart to follow this logic...

Minnie Me
03-24-2006, 11:36 AM
If the Sox sweep Cleveland in the seasons first series we will all forget about Scream Trading.

Rooney4Prez56
03-24-2006, 12:00 PM

"Who's Not:
Chicago Baseball

Well if SI says it, it must be true.

miker
03-24-2006, 12:11 PM
:tealpolice:
I've always wanted to do that -- and it turns out I forgot to reference the offending post. E1 if you are scoring at home...

BnzCP
03-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I don't seem to recall the Sox doing very well last year in spring training games, and look where they ended up for the season--World Champions! Tons of players who won't even make the Opening Night roster have been playing during these games. Ozzie will have the guys who are goinig to be on that roster ready for the games that REALLY count.

I forgot the exact record but they finished in the middle of the group...far from perfect...then opening day hit and they never looked back. It was almost as if they planned it that way.

drewcifer
03-25-2006, 02:46 PM
I forgot the exact record but they finished in the middle of the group...far from perfect...then opening day hit and they never looked back. It was almost as if they planned it that way.
Actually, they were just a game up from last (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/standings/spring?type=loc&year=2005).

Seriously, you'd be better off getting your sports predictions from the Enquirer over SI...

SoxWillWin
03-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Honestly, 10 of our 18 losses came after the seventh inning. I'm just geussing but more than half of those were with minor league pitchers on the mound.....I AM NOT WORRIED.

Lip Man 1
03-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Sox Will Win:

Your point is valid to a large extent but there have been games blown by the 'regulars' in the late innings as well.

Either way, the Sox are one week away from opening night. Time to stop playing the minor leagers, double AA pitchers and cast-offs who won't come within a mile of ever playing or pitching in a major league game.

I swear looking at some of those guys this spring tells me they have absolutely zero clue on how to perform at the major league level. Today was a perfect example.

Lip

jongarlandlover
03-25-2006, 06:24 PM
SI? Whatever, why should we care? It's spring training...it doesn't matter. The Sox have been trying out the people who are competing for the bullpen spot, so it's not even like our pitchers are staying out there that long. Now, if this was our record after April 2...that's when you worry.

Lip Man 1
03-25-2006, 07:57 PM
White Sox.com just has a story where Contreras and Jenks looked good today, but according to Ozzie, Hermanson is headed to the DL.

Looks like Thornton and Boone complete the bullpen although to be honest I could also see Ozzie pulling the plug on Thornton and adding Lopez as the #3 lefty.

Either way it'll be an interesting start to the season with this bullpen configuration.

Lip

chopperjc
03-26-2006, 01:19 AM
I have checked in a couple of times but have not really been looking at the sight since the glorious days and weeks following those wonderfull 4 games.

It is nice to see all is right with the world.

I do like the fact we all feel persecuted.

I am ready for opening day! I have no reference point so it will be a new experience, being defending champs! as far as SI????

Who cares!!!!!!!!! WE WON!!!!:wink: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Steelrod
03-26-2006, 03:31 AM
Honestly, 10 of our 18 losses came after the seventh inning. I'm just geussing but more than half of those were with minor league pitchers on the mound.....I AM NOT WORRIED.
spring training is just for discovery. We have discovered that we will win more games than the highest number on any young lefty's back!
Relax all, it's March!