PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Outfields AL/NL

MattSharp
01-15-2002, 05:35 PM
This is ironic post after today's trade. This is 3 starters and the 4th OF.

AL

1. Boston Red Sox
Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon, Trot Nixon, and Michael Coleman.

I consider Manny to be one of the top 5 hitters in the AL. If Damon plays like he could he's a top 5 lead off man. Everyone is waiting for Nixon to break out, and Coleman has the speed to be a good 4th guy.

2. Texas Rangers
Juan Gonzalez, Carl Everett, Frank Catalatnatto and Rusty Greer/Gabe Kapler

Juan is still a consitent hitter. Everett, when he is happy, has speed a good glove and a good bat. Catalanatto broke out last year, but may be moved elsewhere to make room. Greer and Kapler will compete for the 4th spot. It's tough to keep them both on the bench.

3. Toronto
Jose Cruz Jr., Shannon Stewart, Raul Mondesi, and Vernon Wells

IMO, Mondesi is over the hill. I think they should trade him and move Wells into the lineup. Cruz finally had an explosive season and should only continue to rise. Stewart is a rising start, and Mondesi still ahs a heck of a bat.

4. Anaheim
Garrett Anderson, Darin Erstad, Tim Salmon, and Orlando Palmeiro

Anderson is one of the most underrated players in the game. Erstad is an MVP candidate when hes on and Tim Salmo is a reliable veteran when hes healthy. When this team is on they are good.

5. Seattle
Ichiro, Mike Cameron, Rueban Sierra

Ichiro is the best we all know that. Can Cameron repeat his performance from last year? Does Sierra have anything left? Not much depth here.

NL

1. Atlanta
Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Gary Sheffield, Dave Martinez

This three is by far the best in the league. Andruw Jones is gonna win an MVP eventually, hes still young. Sheffield ads a consitenet and reliable bat to compensate Chipper.

2. Philadelphia
Bobby Abreu, Doug Glanville, Pat Burrell

Abreu is on the verge of stardom and is Burell. Glanville can break out someday if he brings his average up.

3. Houston
Lance Bergman, Richard Hildalgo, Daryle Ward

Bergman is coming off a big year, and should continue. Hildalgo's numbers dropped but he can still be an All-Star. Ward still has a lot to prove.

4. St. Louis
Jim Edmonds, JD Drew, Placido Polanco

Edmonds is one of the best all around players in the game. Drew hasn't lived up to his potential but hes still a good palyer and young. Polanco is a future star.

5. Chicago
Moises Alou, Sammy Sosa, Corey Patterson, Darren Lewis

Alou and Sosa are no spring chickens, but they still are all around All Stars. Patterson hasn't broken out yet, but he will.

Thoughts.....

Arizona - Gonzalez, Finley, Guillen, Bautista
San Fransico - Bonds, Sanders, Benard, Shinjo
Milwaukee - Burnitz, Hammonds, Jenkins
Cincinatti - Griffey, Dunn, Encarnacion, Guerrero
Pittsburgh - Giles, Rios, Brown, Bell

Fisk Fan
01-15-2002, 06:07 PM
Is Chipper going to play outfield this year? Just wondering.

Spiff
01-15-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
Is Chipper going to play outfield this year? Just wondering.

Yeh I think so because they have Vinny Castilla.

I don't get it either.

Fisk Fan
01-15-2002, 06:13 PM
I thought it was a strange move. I think Chipper has a couple of Gold Gloves at the hot corner, but that must not be too important with Vinny Castilla at third. Go figure.

kermittheefrog
01-15-2002, 06:25 PM
Anaheim 3rd? Sure Salmon should rebound but Garret Anderson sucks and who knows which Darin Erstad is going to show up this year.

WinningUgly!
01-15-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Anaheim 3rd? Sure Salmon should rebound but Garret Anderson sucks and who knows which Darin Erstad is going to show up this year.

Hasn't Salmon pretty much sucked the past 2-3 years?

KempersRS
01-15-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Hasn't Salmon pretty much sucked the past 2-3 years?

I know he was pretty weak last season, but I think it was his first down season...maybe second.

Edit: here are the numbers

In 2001 he hit .227 with 17 HR's. That was a huge drop from his .290 and 34 HR's in 2000.

MattSharp
01-15-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
I thought it was a strange move. I think Chipper has a couple of Gold Gloves at the hot corner, but that must not be too important with Vinny Castilla at third. Go figure.

Chipper said he would do whatever to help his team and get some better hitters, this included moving to LF.

Vsahajpal
01-15-2002, 10:23 PM
I'd rate the Cubs ahead of Pittsburgh, Glanville is one of the worst offensive centerfielders in the game, and Abreu and Burrell won't even come close to Sosa and Alou.

Daver
01-15-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I'd rate the Cubs ahead of Pittsburgh, Glanville is one of the worst offensive centerfielders in the game, and Abreu and Burrell won't even come close to Sosa and Alou.

You must have more faith than the Cubs do then,they did just sign Darren Lewis.

Vsahajpal
01-15-2002, 11:23 PM
Damn, I meant Philadelphia.

Well, Lewis is just a backup/defensive replacement. They are pretty much set at the corners with Alou and Sosa, and Patterson (by all accounts) will be handed the job (rightly or wrongly) in center.

nut_stock
01-16-2002, 12:14 AM
I'd be interested in seeing the entire AL rated to see where the Sox outfield falls.

RichH55
01-16-2002, 12:20 AM
Looking at Texas...Kapler looks more avialble than ever...

MattSharp
01-16-2002, 12:36 AM
The Sox would rank in the top 10 for sure. I would still rank Oakland (Justice, Long, Dye) ahead of them, but that maybe it...

Spiff
01-16-2002, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

He ranked Anaheim 4th.

And Garret Anderson hit .289 28HR 123RBI, that's not too "sucky".

kermittheefrog
01-16-2002, 01:20 PM
Garret Anderson also only walked 27 times last year, so he's really no better than Carlos Lee.

MattSharp
01-16-2002, 04:17 PM
Hes a much better fielder than Lee.