PDA

View Full Version : Harry Caray Documentary

Lip Man 1
03-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Fred Mitchell in his column today mentioned this and he was kind enough to pass along to me this additional information. It looks like they are doing it on his entire career. Hopefully they can find footage of Harry on the South Side. I know I still have some.

Sox fans may want to contact the executive producer and pass along stories and such. His e-mail is listed below:

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 13, 2006--JLT Films Inc./Purple Cow Productions announced the documentary "Hello Again Everybody" to begin production in February, 2006, and is slated for release this Summer, 2006. The documentary will portray the life of the legendary radio/TV broadcaster Harry Christopher Carabina, otherwise known as "Harry Caray," and his 53 years in baseball broadcasting.

JLT Films/Purple Cow Productions is an Independent Distributor and Production Company headed by Noel Gimbel, Executive Producer of "Hello Again Everybody" for broadcast and DVD distribution.

"It is an honor to produce such a high-quality documentary in memory of Harry Caray, one of America's most beloved personalities, entertainer, and the voice of baseball for many years. It is our mission to bring the legend back, along with his huge contribution to baseball, the love of the game, and the wonderful memories he brought to millions of baseball fans for 53 years. Harry Caray is back," stated Gimbel.

About Harry Caray

Harry Caray was the ultimate baseball fan and one of the most colorful broadcasters of the game. He began his career on the radio -- broadcasting basketball and baseball. He spent his first 25 years as the voice of his hometown for the St. Louis Cardinals, followed by a one-year stint with the Oakland A's, then later 11 years with the White Sox and 16 years with the Chicago Cubs. Caray was well known not only for his accomplishments on the field but off the field as well. While he was the ultimate voice of the fans, he also held a special place in the hearts of Elvis Presley, Michael Jordan, and President Ronald Reagan, to name a few. He is responsible for making the seventh-inning stretch almost as exciting as the game by starting the nationwide trend, still occurring today, of singing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame."

Harry Caray suffered a stroke at age 72, causing him to miss his very first game. In 1989, at age 74, Caray was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame and later died of cardiac arrest in 1998. Harry Caray was a "larger than life" character, and the wonderful memories of him still stay with us.

About Noel Gimbel

Noel Gimbel has extensive knowledge and experience in all areas of the entertainment industry. He began his career in record retailing, which led him to wholesale distribution of audio and video. He is the founder of Sound Video Unlimited, which became the first and largest distributor of audio and videos in the United States, servicing over 9,000 accounts. The company was acquired by Baker & Taylor (a WR Grace subsidiary) in the late 1980s.

For the next few years, Gimbel was a successful Chairman for the Video Division before relocating to California, where he became President of Lorimar Telepictures Video. Following the sale of Lorimar to WEA, he went back to Chicago and began a video chain and satellite company.

In the late 1990s, Gimbel headed back West to consult for DVD MAGs and started the DVD company Digital Versatile Disc (DVD, Ltd.). Gimbel later sold his interest in DVD, Ltd. to Nutech, an independent producer and distributor of video products. In 2001, he founded Liberty International Publishing (LIP), a company focused on the distribution of concerts, animation for DVD, and Children Audio CDs. LIP was recently acquired by Clarity.

For additional information call Noel Gimbel at 310-739-0584 or e-mail noelgimbel@yahoo.com (noelgimbel@yahoo.com), or e-mail Aarthi Rajaraman, Co-Producer, at aarthirajaraman@hotmail.com (aarthirajaraman@hotmail.com) .

32nd&Wallace
03-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Better get the death age right before they start shooting. He was well into his 80s

Viva Medias B's
03-28-2006, 10:10 AM
I wonder how they will handle why Harry left St. Louis. That is not to take a shot at Harry or anything like that, but I would imagine it will be interesting to see how they do it.

TommyJohn
03-28-2006, 11:12 AM
I wonder how they will handle why Harry left St. Louis. That is not to take a shot at Harry or anything like that, but I would imagine it will be interesting to see how they do it.

I'm wondering how they'll handle his time with the White Sox. That should
be interesting; as well as insufferable and unwatchable.

Lip Man 1
03-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Well I've already had a 45 minute conversation with Noel. I'll be sending him copies of all the video and audio I have on Harry dating back to 1972.

The question is will he be able to use them? MLB wants to charge him an astronomical amount for use of 'one minute' (that's right), one minute of footage since this is a documentary that will also air on PBS.

Regarding the questions....

Noel told me he called up the Cardinals and the Busch family and was told they had no interest in talking about Harry.

Regarding his time with the Sox he understands that I called to make sure this wasn't a one sided documentary. He knows about Harry starting the 7th inning stretch and sitting in the center field bleachers on the South Side. This will be a historically accurate documentary that he says will now go two hours long. He is attempting to contact Jimmy Piersall and I have given him contact information with numerous other Sox players and broadcasters from Harry's time of 1971 through 1981.

I think the tale will be told truthfully. Noel said he has to talk about the reason Harry left St. Louis and his drinking problems. He has already spoken to one of Caray's daughters and she's cool with being honest.

Lip

Sox-on-TV44
03-29-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm looking forward to it.And Lip,thank heavens that it won't be a Cub-fested piece,they'll talk about his time on the south side too.

I could sit all day and listen and watch Harry on WMAQ and TV44 if I had the chance!

Dick Allen
03-29-2006, 02:01 PM
You mean Harry Caray did games prior to 1982?

ode to veeck
03-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Good job Lip. I hope to see Jimmy P talking on his old bud from the booth.