PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi Back To #2 Hole

Lip Man 1
03-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Mark Gonzales is reporting this morning that Ozzie has switched Icuchi back to the #2 hole at least for the rest of spring training in an attempt to get him out of his hitting funk.

The story also said Ozzie has 'warned' Jenks about the closer's job.

Lip

0o0o0
03-23-2006, 01:50 PM
i'd assume cotts would take over the role of closer if bobby's struggles continue?

and anyone know how uribe has been in the 2 hole with moving runners over and what not? i haven't caught many of his ab's.

voodoochile
03-23-2006, 01:57 PM
i'd assume cotts would take over the role of closer if bobby's struggles continue?

and anyone know how uribe has been in the 2 hole with moving runners over and what not? i haven't caught many of his ab's.

I could see McCarthy becoming the closer if Jenks can't handle it. That way the rest of the bullpen stays the same and a guy with great stuff and fire gets to close games.

Minnie Me
03-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Back where he belongs.No more tinker please.

White Sox Randy
03-23-2006, 01:59 PM
I could see McCarthy becoming the closer if Jenks can't handle it. That way the rest of the bullpen stays the same and a guy with great stuff and fire gets to close games.

I think it's safe to say that there is about zero chance of McCarthy being the closer.

Flight #24
03-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Sounds like it could still be temporary if Iguchi can get it going and then keep it going when dropped back down. I'd guess with Uribe doing well in the #2, they'd still prefer Tadahito lower in the order, but are doing this to return him to a comfortable spot remporarily.

Who'da thought that they might revert to last year's order not because Uribe flopped at the #2 but because Iguchi flopped at the #6?

tick53
03-23-2006, 02:00 PM

Agreed!

sullythered
03-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Agreed!

I third the motion!

sti3
03-23-2006, 02:31 PM
I can finally get some SLEEP at night again!

Dice
03-23-2006, 02:33 PM
I fourth, fifth and sixth the motion!

For Christ sakes we won the World Series with Iguchi hitting 2nd. Mind you it wasn't the sole purpose that we won but it sure helped with Iguchi's handling of the bat. I don't mind tinkering with the line up but when your misplacing your key hitter then it could be a problem.

ondafarm
03-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Iguchi tried a new swing out early and it didn't work and he's been trying to get 'back in the swing of things'. Ozzie moving him to #2 will force him to get his head in the game and focus, which is just what he needs.

TaylorStSox
03-23-2006, 02:40 PM

If it comes down to that, we're in trouble. I'm not even sure McCarthy can be effective coming out of the pen. He does K alot of guys and doesn't walk many, but he doesn't really have closer stuff.

palehozenychicty
03-23-2006, 02:57 PM
If it comes down to that, we're in trouble. I'm not even sure McCarthy can be effective coming out of the pen. He does K alot of guys and doesn't walk many, but he doesn't really have closer stuff.

I'm not too sure about McCarthy closing either. Could be in the words of Dennis Hopper, "Bad things, man. Bad things."

Tekijawa
03-23-2006, 03:00 PM
What about the Mythical Boone Logan as Closer?

White Sox Randy
03-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Why don't we just save some payroll money and trade Buehrle, Contreras, Garland,Vazquez and Garcia for a couple of big hitters and 5 more stumble bum pitchers.

Cooper can turn them all into aces anyway.

wilburaga
03-23-2006, 03:59 PM
This is pure speculation on my part, but do you think Iguchi is upset that he succumbed to Sox management's pressure and didn't participate in the WBC? He not only alienated himself from his countrymen, but also missed out on a pretty good experience. Being a member of the winning World Series and WBC teams within 5 months would have been quite a combo.

W

itsnotrequired
03-23-2006, 04:04 PM

:jerry

"Hey, don't look at me!"

Randar68
03-23-2006, 04:08 PM
What about the Mythical Boone Logan as Closer?

2 months from now it could be more likely Tyler Lumsden is a better candidate to close than anyone else should Bobby still be struggling, but I doubt they'd make that move.

ondafarm
03-23-2006, 04:18 PM
This is pure speculation on my part, but do you think Iguchi is upset that he succumbed to Sox management's pressure and didn't participate in the WBC? He not only alienated himself from his countrymen, but also missed out on a pretty good experience. Being a member of the winning World Series and WBC teams within 5 months would have been quite a combo.

W

My impression is no.

I don't think he's totally alienated, Matsui on the other hand . . .

I think he realized his importance to the White Sox and knew that he'd have to concentrate this spring to be an even better player than last year when IMHO, he should have walked away with ROY. Seeing how difficult his ST has been, I'm sure he knows he couldn't have done both.

SouthsideChi
03-23-2006, 05:01 PM
OK this sounds crazy but....here is an idea I had yesterday. When we first acquired Contreras there was talk of making him into a closer. What if he closes, McCarthy becomes the 5th starter? That way McCarthy is comfortable in the rotation and we have one of the league's best closers...

Baby Fisk
03-23-2006, 05:03 PM
OK this sounds crazy but....here is an idea I had yesterday. When we first acquired Contreras there was talk of making him into a closer. What if he closes, McCarthy becomes the 5th starter? That way McCarthy is comfortable in the rotation and we have one of the league's best closers...
No. Do not mess with the rotation.

Hangar18
03-23-2006, 05:13 PM

Id hate to put a guy with that much talent at the back of the bullpen ..........
but this isnt a bad idea

thomas35forever
03-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Id hate to put a guy with that much talent at the back of the bullpen ..........
but this isnt a bad idea
It's not a bad idea, but I don't see it happening. McCarthy's got the arm to go for a few innings instead of one or two. If he does come in at the end of the game, the Sox should either be winning big or losing badly.