PDA

View Full Version : Wait a second


Daver
01-15-2002, 06:01 PM
I think this would be a clear conflict of interest.

http://tsn.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/20020115/374827.html


But then again what the hell do I know?

Cheryl
01-15-2002, 07:09 PM
Daver<

It's a long story--which part of it are you objecting to? The fact that the guy who ran the Expos into the ground is getting another team? The fact that Don Watkins wants to buy the twins but Selig and Polecat would rather contract them out of existence? The part about Frank Robinson ? What?

Daver
01-15-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Daver<

It's a long story--which part of it are you objecting to? The fact that the guy who ran the Expos into the ground is getting another team? The fact that Don Watkins wants to buy the twins but Selig and Polecat would rather contract them out of existence? The part about Frank Robinson ? What?

Mostly the fact that the league will run an MLB franchise if contraction does not happen,which it won't IMO for next year.

How can the league own one team and the rest of the league have individual owners?

What stops them from trading away the talent on the team to whomever they deem fit in the interest of preparing the Expos for contraction?

Who collects the benefits from the revenue sharing policy,and will it be spent on the team?

I think theses are valid questions.

WinningUgly!
01-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by daver


Mostly the fact that the league will run an MLB franchise if contraction does not happen,which it won't IMO for next year.

How can the league own one team and the rest of the league have individual owners?

What stops them from trading away the talent on the team to whomever they deem fit in the interest of preparing the Expos for contraction?

Who collects the benefits from the revenue sharing policy,and will it be spent on the team?

I think theses are valid questions.

League running one of it's own franchises = XFL

Cheryl
01-15-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by daver


How can the league own one team and the rest of the league have individual owners?

What stops them from trading away the talent on the team to whomever they deem fit in the interest of preparing the Expos for contraction?

Who collects the benefits from the revenue sharing policy,and will it be spent on the team?

I think theses are valid questions.

And I agree with you.
Nothing will keep them from doing whatever they want with the Expos.

Daver
01-15-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl


And I agree with you.
Nothing will keep them from doing whatever they want with the Expos.

The simple answer would be to make Jeff Loria live in the mess he has built for another year.

JoeBatters
01-15-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!


League running one of it's own franchises = XFL http://www.xfl-fan.com/images/HitmenGroup247x195.gif

The XFL did have it's perks thou !

WinningUgly!
01-15-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by WASP
http://www.xfl-fan.com/images/HitmenGroup247x195.gif

The XFL did have it's perks thou !
There's more talent in that pic than in the rest of the entire league. :D:

Jerry_Manuel
01-15-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by daver
How can the league own one team and the rest of the league have individual owners?


Think Charles Dolan wants to buy the Expos? Maybe for 150 million, then move the team to Washington.

Daver
01-15-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Think Charles Dolan wants to buy the Expos? Maybe for 150 million, then move the team to Washington.

What difference would it make on MLB running the Expos for next season?
That is where I have a problem with the whole scenario.

But then again what the hell do I know?

czalgosz
01-15-2002, 11:16 PM
I was just reading about the last team run by the league - the 1902 Baltimore Orioles. This was before the National League recognized the American League as a major, and the NL tried to sabotage the Orioles by getting all the players away from the cash-strapped team and into NL organizations. The Orioles were left without enough players to field a team (this was before farm systems), and AL president Ban Johnson raised the money to buy the team. Each AL team donated players to fill the roster, and the 1902 Orioles finished out the season 50-88, in last place, 34 games back.

In 1903, the Orioles moved to New York, becoming the New York Highlanders, who later becamse the New York Yankees.

Kinda interesting...

Anyway, the Baseball Prospectus pointed out a likely scenario of MLB running the Expos. The Expos would become a dumping ground for players that noone wants, picking up washed-up overpriced veterans on waivers. Don't want Royce Clayton on your team any more? Presto! He's now an Expo! Then, rather than winning 60 games with a $20 Million payroll, they win 60 games with an $80 Million payroll. Then MLB says, look, the Expos had a serious payroll and still couldn't compete and still couldn't draw fans. Then they move the club.

Daver
01-15-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Anyway, the Baseball Prospectus pointed out a likely scenario of MLB running the Expos. The Expos would become a dumping ground for players that noone wants, picking up washed-up overpriced veterans on waivers. Don't want Royce Clayton on your team any more? Presto! He's now an Expo! Then, rather than winning 60 games with a $20 Million payroll, they win 60 games with an $80 Million payroll. Then MLB says, look, the Expos had a serious payroll and still couldn't compete and still couldn't draw fans. Then they move the club.

That doesn't answer the question of what happens to the GOOD players that are on the Expos roster,or in their farm system for that matter.MLB running a team is a serious conflict of interest with what is in the best interest of the GAME,and gives further proof to the fact that Bud is the Captain of a ship of fools.

czalgosz
01-15-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by daver


That doesn't answer the question of what happens to the GOOD players that are on the Expos roster,or in their farm system for that matter.MLB running a team is a serious conflict of interest with what is in the best interest of the GAME,and gives further proof to the fact that Bud is the Captain of a ship of fools.

Most likely is that nothing will happen to the good players. The team will be so paralyzed that they won't make any trades at all, like the Twins are doing right now. That's not particularly good for the Expos either, I guess.

Daver
01-15-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


Most likely is that nothing will happen to the good players. The team will be so paralyzed that they won't make any trades at all, like the Twins are doing right now. That's not particularly good for the Expos either, I guess.

I think the MLBPA will have a problem with the league thinking that they can run a team,as well they should.

RichH55
01-16-2002, 01:13 AM
That opens up more of a can of worms than contraction itself....the what if scenarios are seemingly endless and it doesnt tend to make sense...so looks like MLB will push it

RichH55
01-16-2002, 01:14 AM
And did anyone else notice Bud is gone from the tube and Sandy Alderson(sic) is there.....Sandy at least looks more credible up there....but MLB isnt going to win a PR battle here, especially at this stage of the game

ma-gaga
01-16-2002, 09:55 AM
:tool
"Conflict of interest? No, not me, I understand your pain. I'm working for the good of the game."

I'm extremely pissed at MLB. This off-season is the biggest joke I've ever heard of. They handcuff the smaller 'contraction targeted' teams, and they let the Yankees/Rangers/Mets add $15M~25M in payroll. Then they scream that "we've lost millions of dollars!?!". The owners one by one have followed Bud off the cliff. It's extremely frustrating. Gad, I can't wait for the regular season starts. I can't stand this crap...

Integrity of the game? Bud doesn't know, or care, to know how to respect the game. It's all about money to them.

:sopranos
"Respect the bing"

CLR01
01-16-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
they let the Yankees/Rangers/Mets add $15M~25M in payroll. \


You actually believe the smaller teams would have spent something this offseason?

czalgosz
01-16-2002, 12:42 PM
I hate to say it, but the Expos are in a worst-case scenario here... If Loria doesn't want to run the Expos, noone can force him to, and it appears that noone wants to buy the team unless they can immediately move them, and it's certainly too late for that, at least for 2002.

If MLB had allowed offers to buy the franchise back in October, this might not have happened. As it is, however, I don't see any alternative than to have MLB run it at this point, as bad as that is.

ma-gaga
01-17-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
You actually believe the smaller teams would have spent something this offseason?

With the current CBA. No, I don't.

However, to me the best business solution for MLB involves some sort of team salary cap or luxury cap, significant increased revenue sharing, and a salary floor then, yes, the Twins, Expos, Royals, A's, and Marlins would have to add some salary to make the $45M to $50M cut.

But this is speculation. Bud has to get this passed w/o contraction.