PDA

View Full Version : Downey's Eleven

SoxSideIrish
03-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I don't know how many of you guys read it, but Mike Downey's column in the Trib is usually pretty funny. He always makes this list called Downey's Eleven, and the last bullet in his list is :

"11 Japan vs. Cuba was a fine championship game for the first World Baseball Classic. But I think we all know the White Sox would have swept either one of them."

Take that as you will, I personally agree.

Linky Link McLinkerson (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060322downey,1,433705.column?page=1&ctrack=1&cset=true&coll=cs-home-utility)

BainesHOF
03-23-2006, 10:56 AM
I try to read Mike Downey, but then...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Hangar18
03-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Didnt Downey write a piece in 04 about how Fans Dont Care about Steroids, were making too big a deal about it, and how we "needed" that "historic home run chase between mark mcguire and sammy sosa".

Didnt he also say in the same article that perhaps there was some "McCarthyism" out there regarding Dusty Baker and the Steroid issue ?

Didnt he say that race probably had something to do with it?

Didnt he say also that when he thinks of Steroids, he thinks of Giambi and McGuire only ......but not Sosa?

Oh wait ..........it wasnt him, it was Mike Kiley disciple Carol Sleazak that wrote that junk almost 2 years to this date. Funny Carol, the steroid issue didnt go away did it?

delben91
03-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Didnt Downey write a piece in 04 about how Fans Dont Care about Steroids, were making too big a deal about it, and how we "needed" that "historic home run chase between mark mcguire and sammy sosa".

Didnt he also say in the same article that perhaps there was some "McCarthyism" out there regarding Dusty Baker and the Steroid issue ?

Didnt he say that race probably had something to do with it?

Didnt he say also that when he thinks of Steroids, he thinks of Giambi and McGuire only ......but not Sosa?

Oh wait ..........it wasnt him, it was Mike Kiley disciple Carol Sleazak that wrote that junk almost 2 years to this date. Funny Carol, the steroid issue didnt go away did it?

Out of curiosity, if it wasn't Downey that said those things...why are you posting this in a thread about Downey. Slezak doesn't even write for the same "newspaper."

Jerome
03-23-2006, 04:16 PM
You can't take anything this guy writes seriously anymore. Anyone with that strong of an alligience to Kyle Orton is a moron. The reason the Bears won 10 games had nothing to do with Kyle Orton, and everything to do with a defense that was the best in the league until the last game of the season. But moron Downey doesn't understand this. That would be like praising a pitcher who wins 20 games but has an ERA or 6.

Hawkeroo1980
03-23-2006, 04:19 PM
most of the sports writer in the sun-times and trib are guilty of being complete dumbasses.

marrioti
downer
morrisey
slezak
kiley
rogers

all dumbasses

it's probably hard to write about something EVERYDAY and remember which side you stand for.

downstairs
03-23-2006, 04:19 PM
You can't take anything this guy writes seriously anymore. Anyone with that strong of an alligience to Kyle Orton is a moron. The reason the Bears won 10 games had nothing to do with Kyle Orton, and everything to do with a defense that was the best in the league until the last game of the season. But moron Downey doesn't understand this. That would be like praising a pitcher who wins 20 games but has an ERA or 6.

Meh. You can latch on to anyone you'd like with the Bears. They proved they were really a 9-11 team that overachieved. The proof is in the pudding... If Orton wasn't a major factor... he wasn't in the most important game, and the defense was. And they blew it.

pudge
03-23-2006, 04:34 PM
I don't know how many of you guys read it, but Mike Downey's column in the Trib is usually pretty funny

Wow, guess we have different standards for insightful humor.

FoulTerritory
03-23-2006, 04:35 PM
I must say that I think Downy is perhaps the worst big-paper sportswriter I've ever encounterd. His sense of humor is, well, not so good. And many of his assertions are almost child-like in simplicity (see today's Vince Lombardi quote used to support Orton).

SOXPHILE
03-23-2006, 04:59 PM

I know. It pisses me off everytime Boers & Bernstein run with this story, and act all high & mighty, and that they are some sort of brilliant geniuses, when they say the the Bears won in spite of Kyle Orton, not because of him. They act like everyone else thinks that Orton is this great QB. Hey, brain donors: 98% of Bear fans who know even the smallest thing about football know that it was mainly the defense that won those games. They think that because a couple of dozen brain dead callers call in and hype Orton that most people feel the same way. Dopes.

oeo
03-23-2006, 05:02 PM

:rolleyes:

Yeah...Orton had nothing to do with it...the Bears definately would have won those 10 games with Hutch.

I'm not saying Orton is good, but you people act as if he did nothing at all. The defense did play a big part, but I guarantee if we had Hutch out there, we would not have even made the playoffs. He came in as a rookie and did not do half as bad as many of you make it out to be.

[/rant] Sorry for the hijack.

FoulTerritory
03-23-2006, 05:04 PM
I know. It pisses me off everytime Boers & Bernstein run with this story, and act all high & mighty, and that they are some sort of brilliant geniuses, when they say the the Bears won in spite of Kyle Orton, not because of him. They act like everyone else thinks that Orton is this great QB. Hey, brain donors: 98% of Bear fans who know even the smallest thing about football know that it was mainly the defense that won those games. They think that because a couple of dozen brain dead callers call in and hype Orton that most people feel the same way. Dopes.

I think what gets B&B fired up is that writers like Downy and Marriotti write this pro-orton stuff, and insuate that, for some reason, getting Griese was a bad idea. I think they feel the need to oppose such media stupidity. But yes, they go on to long about it.

MarySwiss
03-23-2006, 05:21 PM
:rolleyes:

Yeah...Orton had nothing to do with it...the Bears definately would have won those 10 games with Hutch.

I'm not saying Orton is good, but you people act as if he did nothing at all. The defense did play a big part, but I guarantee if we had Hutch out there, we would not have even made the playoffs. He came in as a rookie and did not do half as bad as many of you make it out to be.

[/rant] Sorry for the hijack.

I agree completely. I do not understand the Orton bashing and never will. Meanwhile, everybody thinks that "Moose" was the be-all and end-all. (Shakes head.)

Sorry for the continued hijack.

Milw
03-23-2006, 06:14 PM
I must say that I think Downy is perhaps the worst big-paper sportswriter I've ever encounterd. His sense of humor is, well, not so good. And many of his assertions are almost child-like in simplicity (see today's Vince Lombardi quote used to support Orton).
Ditto. I can't even say that I hate Downey's writing, because that would require caring about it. It's just so mediocre that I can't even really have a strong opinion.

Downey's not a very good writer. How he got a prime columnist spot at a major paper is just beyond comprehension.