PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: Sheffield traded to ATL

NUCatsFan
01-15-2002, 03:09 PM
That's right. The Dodgers finally traded Gary Sheffield. He's heading to Atlanta for Brian Jordan, Odalis Perez, and a minor league pitcher. (I believe there were rumors about Sheff coming to the AL, as well as Jordan. That's why it's semi-OT.)

rdivaldi
01-15-2002, 03:32 PM
ATLANTA (AP) -- Gary Sheffield was traded from the Los Angeles Dodgers to the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday for Brian Jordan, pitcher Odalis Perez and a minor league pitcher.

The minor leaguer sent to the Dodgers from the Braves was right-hander Andy Brown, who was 3-4 with a 3-4 ERA with Class A Jamestown last season.

Dan Evans is an idiot. Anyone still want him as GM? I hope not.

duke of dorwood
01-15-2002, 03:37 PM
Anytime you get rid of a chronic head case like Sheffield, you've done something. No one was gonna give much for him.

fuzzy_patters
01-15-2002, 03:53 PM
I just looked up Brian Jordan's numbers from last season, and now I forget what they were. Anyway, it was something like .290 with 25 homers. Those aren't great numbers, but they are adequate and the Dodgers get a good looking pitcher in Odalis Perez to boot. Considering the bad rep that Sheff has built up, I don't think this is too bad a move for the Dodgers.

rdivaldi
01-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Considering Brian Jordan made $9.1 million last year and put up numbers barely better than C-Lee, I would have to say this is a boneheaded trade. I wouldn't call Perez much of a pitching prospect at this point either.

Dan Evans is an idiot.

longshot7
01-15-2002, 04:09 PM
this is a TERRIBLE move for the Dodgers. I cannot tell how how F@#!#$@
upset I am. They got nothing for the best player on their team?! All the stuff about his attitude was b.s. blown up our asses by the Dodgers brass - and Bob Daly and Dan Evans are the biggest morons in baseball. This is a guy who is a bargain at $10 mil a year - and just wanted to finish his career here. Jordan's OBP is a hundred points lower than Sheff's for the last two years. A hundred. And his slugging percentage is 200 points lower. two freakin hundred. And Perez has a career record of 11-15. Real good. Yeah, this will totally help us against the Giants and the Dbacks. Fly the white flag in January, why don't you? Grrr.......

cheeses_h_rice
01-15-2002, 04:35 PM
I'm happy with the trade.

But then again, I'm a Braves fan...

:gulp:

kermittheefrog
01-15-2002, 04:42 PM
Wow what a bad move. Dan Evans is looking just as inept as Kenny Williams on the job in LA. So far he's lost Gary Sheffield, a star caliber outfielder and Luke Prokopec, a good young pitcher who could have been the Dodgers #3 starter this year and gotten marginal talent in return.

Jerry_Manuel
01-15-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Wow what a bad move. Dan Evans is looking just as inept as Kenny Williams on the job in LA.

I've been waiting for you to say that Kermit. Makes me feel good hearing it.

RichH55
01-16-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I've been waiting for you to say that Kermit. Makes me feel good hearing it.

Agreed here....Dan Evans or KW doesnt look like a great option....I still have faith KW can turn it around(dont ask me why, but i dont know, hence the word faith)....Wells deal-not horrible, and I'm willing to rationalize that Clayton was just trying to fix what wasnt broken, first year jitters, anything..as long as I cna think reasonably he will get better....we will never have Billy Beane here, but then again Schueler had his down moments too...ok its late...optimism fading...no mas