PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Howard with 9 spring HR's?

Randar68
03-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Is that right? I just looked in the Philly box score and saw they had him down for his 9th HR of the spring already... GOOD LORD! If he can make enough contact he's going to be fun to watch... very Adam Dunn-ish...

Chicken Dinner
03-22-2006, 03:08 PM
A-Row has 2. He's not having a very good spring.

RoobarbPie
03-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Is that right? I just looked in the Philly box score and saw they had him down for his 9th HR of the spring already... GOOD LORD! If he can make enough contact he's going to be fun to watch... very Adam Dunn-ish...

Yeah that's right. I also read an article the other day where he was quoted as saying his swing doesn't feel right yet. OK, I hope he was joking......

California Sox
03-22-2006, 03:20 PM
I picked him up in my fantasy league. If he makes decent contact, he can easily hit 40-50. Unfortunately for me, that is one big "if".

doublem23
03-22-2006, 03:41 PM
KW should have got him.

Hangar18
03-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Which is why I cant believe we overpaid to get Thome.
Philly wanted to unload him badly, we didnt have to give up as much as we did ...........

MUsoxfan
03-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Philly wanted to unload him badly, we didnt have to give up as much as we did ...........

:rolleyes:

What do you suggest KW should have given up? Do you think we could have gotten Thome and all of Thome's salary for Borchard or something like that? I thought the deal was excellent and the SOX made out like bandits

WhiteSoxFan84
03-22-2006, 05:30 PM

i love rowand's personality. i love rowand's defense. i love rowand as a person. but offensively, he was bad. how many times did he ground-out to the shortstop in the play-offs? way too many. he had 1 1/2 good seasons and a lot of people thought of him as a superstar in the making. i hope he does well because he's a great person, but i don't think he was as great as you or others may make him out to be.

SBSoxFan
03-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Heck, he's in a slump. He had 8 about 1-1/2 weeks ago!

Baby Fisk
03-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Is this going to be The Lament for Carlos Lee, 2006 edition?
Come on Hangar... :rolleyes:

Rocky Soprano
03-22-2006, 05:50 PM

What if Thome would of came with some more green seats?

ilsox7
03-22-2006, 05:53 PM
What if Thome would of came with some more green seats?

This may be the post of the decade. So perfect in many ways.

RKMeibalane
03-22-2006, 06:35 PM
A-Row has 2. He's not having a very good spring.

By comparion, Frank Thomas usually hit between two and four each Spring. Some players take time to start driving the ball. Also bear in mind that he spent part of this Spring playing for the USA, and those stats are kept separate from his Yankees ST stats.

santo=dorf
03-22-2006, 06:39 PM
He has actually cooled down with the homers. Last week he had 8.

Hangar, doesn't Philly paying half his salary say something about how much they wanted to move him? It's not like the Sox were the only team interested either. I would hate to see some of the posts on this board had the Twins or Indians acquired him as it was rumored.

MarySwiss
03-22-2006, 07:16 PM
He has actually cooled down with the homers. Last week he had 8. Hangar, doesn't Philly paying half his salary say something about how much they wanted to move him? It's not like the Sox were the only team interested either. I would hate to see some of the posts on this board had the Twins or Indians acquired him as it was rumored.

This says it all. And I saw Thome a few times during ST and what I saw was impressive. If he stays healthy, he will be a monster for us.

And yes, I know there are those who think he will not stay healthy. Let's just see, shall we?

Randar68
03-23-2006, 01:03 PM
He has actually cooled down with the homers. Last week he had 8.

Hangar, doesn't Philly paying half his salary say something about how much they wanted to move him? It's not like the Sox were the only team interested either. I would hate to see some of the posts on this board had the Twins or Indians acquired him as it was rumored.

Yeah, Thome for 7 million dollars a year doesn't come for free. Hell, Rowand might be the 3rd best player we gave up in that deal if Gio stays healthy.

Overpaid my ass. The guy is a 50 HR threat.

soxfanatlanta
03-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Yeah, Thome for 7 million dollars a year doesn't come for free. Hell, Rowand might be the 3rd best player we gave up in that deal if Gio stays healthy.

Overpaid my ass. The guy is a 50 HR threat.
Agreed. Besides, hitting well in ST is meaningless; much like pitching. I've read great things about this guy's potential, and I hope he does well. But do not drink the "We Got Robbed" coolaid just yet.

Unregistered
03-23-2006, 01:36 PM
By comparion, Frank Thomas usually hit between two and four each Spring. Some players take time to start driving the ball. Also bear in mind that he spent part of this Spring playing for the USA, and those stats are kept separate from his Yankees ST stats.I'm guessing A-Row = Aaron Rowand. Not to be confused with A-Rod, who I'm assuming you're talking about.

White Sox Randy
03-23-2006, 01:40 PM
I love the pickup of Thome and as much as I liked Rowand, he was expendable for the Sox.

And, I'm sure that KW tried to give up as little as he could. But, I sure wish that we didn't have to give up both of those 2 pitching prospects. I'm ok with the dollars and what we are paying Thome.

Would this deal not have gotten done if KW didn't include Haigwood ? Who else was chasing after Thome ?

jdm2662
03-23-2006, 02:31 PM
What's the over/under until we see:

End the Brian Anderson experiment now!!!!!