PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Cub Fan Moment #9,893

Hangar18
03-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Went to the DePaul/Tulsa game the other nite, Demons were down at the half and I went into the little alumni section DePaul set up for a cold beverage. I started to chat with a couple people about some alumni golf outing, when a woman mentioned she couldnt wait for summer and opening day.
Hangar18: Yeah, me too, I really hope it isnt cold that nite
CubSheep: (scrunches face) Eewwwww .........I was talking about Cubs Opening Day
Hangar18: Eewwwww? Hey, We won the World Series you know
CubSheep: Yeah, but who has the better stadium?
Hangar18: hahahhahahaha, they dont give out Trophys for best stadium
CubSheep: (realizes my answer has trumped her) ........your right.

itsnotrequired
03-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Hey, what happened to Moment #9,892?

:tongue:

Hangar18
03-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Hey, what happened to Moment #9,892?

:tongue:

9892 was talked about, but was talked about as lackadaisical cub moment or something like that

Frater Perdurabo
03-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Hangar, do you have all 9,893 stupid Cubs fan moments documented?
:redneck

Any chance there will be a special celebration for #10,000?
:)

Hawkeroo1980
03-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Hangar, do you have all 9,893 stupid Cubs fan moments documented?
:redneck

Any chance there will be a special celebration for #10,000?
:)

hopefully moment number 10,000 has something to do with wrigley crumbling to the ground in the middle of the night. (with nobody getting hurt of course, what do you think I am...a jerk?) :cool:

Tekijawa
03-22-2006, 08:48 AM
hopefully moment number 10,000 has something to do with wrigley crumbling to the ground in the middle of the night. (with nobody getting hurt of course, what do you think I am...a jerk?) :cool:

It's the Cubs, My guess that if this were to happen Derek Lee and Aramis Ramirez would be injured by debris during their late night batting practice in the cages inside the park.

chisoxfanatic
03-22-2006, 09:19 AM
It's the Cubs, My guess that if this were to happen Derek Lee and Aramis Ramirez would be injured by debris during their late night batting practice in the cages inside the park.

Instead, it'll happen during one of Kerry Wood's simulated starts.

Chicken Dinner
03-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Went to the DePaul/Tulsa game the other nite, Demons were down at the half and I went into the little alumni section DePaul set up for a cold beverage. I started to chat with a couple people about some alumni golf outing, when a woman mentioned she couldnt wait for summer and opening day.
CubSheep: (scrunches face) Eewwwww .........I was talking about Cubs Opening Day

You forgot to mention the falling cement????

SBSoxFan
03-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Instead, it'll happen during one of Kerry Wood's simulated starts.
And then they can play the rest of their games in a simulated stadium!

Rooney4Prez56
03-22-2006, 11:24 AM

They'd say that Wrigley is still better than the cell.

WSox8404
03-22-2006, 11:44 AM

How do you meet all of these stupid people? I mean it seems like every Cub fan you meet is just completely and utterly slow. I guess they are just drawn to you.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-22-2006, 12:33 PM

Maybe Lin Brehmer can play some Talking Heads during his WXRT Wrigleyville live broadcast.

And you may ask yourself
Is Wrigley a beautiful place?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that promised championship?
And you may tell yourself
Sox fans are right, I am wrong!
And you may ask yourself
MY GOD...WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Letting the years go by / the Cubs always let me down
Letting decades go by / Ronnie Woo Woo is an assclown
Cubbie blue lost again / all of our money's gone
Wasted my lifetime / still never paraded downtown

Same as it ever was (1909)...Same as it ever was (1910)...
Same as it ever was (1969)...Same as it ever was (1984)...
Same as it ever was (1989)...Same as it ever was (2003)...
Same as it ever was (2004)...Same as it ever was (2005)...

Dateline August 17, 2006 - Kerry Wood reaches milestone

The Cubs honored Kerry Wood today after he reached 3,000 career strikeouts at beautiful Wrigley Field. 39,385 were on hand during the simulated game and when Neifi Perez flailed away at an 1-2 breaking pitch Kerry Wood became just the 14th pitcher to reach 3,000 strikeouts. Kerry Wood struck out 2 more ending the day with 3,002 strikeouts. Kerry Wood also sang Take Me Out To The Ballgame on his big day and the Cub faithful went wild.

For his career Wood has 1,286 strikeouts in major league games and 1,716 in simulated action. Kerry Wood and Mark Prior are expected back for the 2007 season.

Hangar18
03-22-2006, 12:52 PM
How do you meet all of these stupid people? I mean it seems like every Cub fan you meet is just completely and utterly slow. I guess they are just drawn to you.

They are Everywhere .......... you dont really have to look that hard to find these people. The womans answer was UTTERLY CLASSIC "yeah but who has the better stadium?" omy god I almost stammered my response before she took it back.
Like a fastball down the middle, I turned on it and went yard

mjharrison72
03-22-2006, 12:52 PM
For his career Wood has 1,286 strikeouts in major league games and 1,716 in simulated action. Kerry Wood and Mark Prior are expected back for the 2007 season.
Classic post, SouthSide Hitmen.:cheers: :thumbsup:

kittle42
03-22-2006, 12:56 PM

This is how gucking stupid these ****ing trixies with their pink Cubs hats are... "Ewwwwww" in response to a mention of the Sox? Grow the **** up you stupid Lincoln Park grade-school mentality ****ers.

Oh, and what else did you expect from DePaul alums, Henry? It's in the heart of trixie central.

Dick Allen
03-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Hangar, you should have reminded Ms. Einstein that opening day is in the spring, not summer. Oh well, she'd be too drunk to notice the difference anyway.

Baby Fisk
03-22-2006, 01:05 PM
And you may ask yourself
And you may ask yourself
And you may ask yourself

The people cry out for more! :rolling:

1951Campbell
03-22-2006, 01:11 PM
This is how gucking stupid these ****ing trixies with their pink Cubs hats are... "Ewwwwww" in response to a mention of the Sox? Grow the **** up you stupid Lincoln Park grade-school mentality ****ers.

Oh, and what else did you expect from DePaul alums, Henry? It's in the heart of trixie central.

Wow, that's a lot of F-bombs! Someone fell off the "civility" wagon pretty hard...

:wink:

jenn2080
03-22-2006, 01:15 PM

You know it is funny I was at my favorite corner bar yesterday and my friend and I got into a discussion with a random and the bartender about the trixies that dont have a clue what is going on and they wear their pink visors and pink t shirts. Has anyone ever saw a baseball team in a pink uniform? This is in general for every team. I will go to the games because I live right by Wrigley and get free tickets from work and I always end sitting by the trixies that are decked to the 9s to go watch a baseball game on their cell phone like they are at the hottest club in Chicago. You are at a baseball game, put some flips on and a t shirt and call it a day. There is no run way at a baseball game. Going to a game isnt a trend it is baseball. I think all stadiums should be like Fenway NO CELL PHONES and NO DUMB PEOPLE!! It is not your house or your office.

maurice
03-22-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm pretty good at keeping conversations with cub fans short and sweet. It usually goes a little something like this . . .

cubfan: This is, like, totally the cubs' year, dude.
maurice: You're a cub fan?
cubfan: Yeah, go cubbies!
maurice: How's that working out for you?
cubfan: (Grumble)

Alternative conversation-enders include "sorry to hear that," "that's a shame," "how's Kerry Wood doing these days?" and "congratulations, you've almost hit the 100-year mark."

ws05champs
03-22-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm pretty good at keeping conversations with cub fans short and sweet. It usually goes a little something like this . . .

Alternative conversation-enders include "sorry to hear that," "that's a shame," "how's Kerry Wood doing these days?" and "congratulations, you've almost hit the 100-year mark."

I usually get a real somber look on my face, express how sorry I am for their problem (being a cubs fan) and offer to cure them by helping them to become Sox fans. That really shuts them up quick.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-22-2006, 11:45 PM

Did you give them the Dr. Phil look?

http://smu.edu/audience/parents/images/dr-phil-aaro-top.jpg

"You are a self admitted Cubs fan. How's that working for you so far?"

hi im skot
03-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Maybe Lin Brehmer can play some Talking Heads during his WXRT Wrigleyville live broadcast.

And you may ask yourself
And you may ask yourself
And you may ask yourself

brilliant!
:thumbsup:

:worship:

AZChiSoxFan
03-23-2006, 09:05 AM

When she asked who has the better stadium, why didn't you tell her, "the Sox, of course!" ??

miker
03-23-2006, 02:15 PM
http://smu.edu/audience/parents/images/dr-phil-aaro-top.jpg

"You are a self admitted Cubs fan. How's that working for you so far?"
Get real!

MarySwiss
03-23-2006, 02:18 PM
I know a lot of people think Hangar goes looking for trouble, but get this. Yesterday, I'm getting my hair done and there's a woman waiting her turn. My stylist and I were involved in a discussion about this new Chicago-style hot dog place that opened recently in Tempe. All of a sudden, this woman starts telling a story about her husband helping out at some charity event in Mesa. Well, as soon as she said "Mesa," I had a pretty good idea where the whole thing was going, but I figured she's not a Cub fan, just one of those people who seem to think that if you're from Chicago.... So I let her yammer on.

Anyway, she finally got to the punchline, that her husband got to meet ACTUAL CUBS players! Of course, she didn't know who any of them were (then again, neither do a lot a lot of Cub fans), but she did say that her husband got Dusty Baker's autograph--"he's the coach, right?"

Once she finally stopped talking, I just looked at her and quietly said, "I'm a Sox fan; there are a lot of us in Chicago and everywhere else." I thought about adding that I wouldn't take Dusty's autograph if HE paid ME, but I let it go. LIke I said, she thought she was just making conversation, but this "you're from Chicago, how about them Cubs?" **** sure does get old!

AZChiSoxFan
03-23-2006, 06:48 PM
I know a lot of people think Hangar goes looking for trouble, but get this. Yesterday, I'm getting my hair done and there's a woman waiting her turn. My stylist and I were involved in a discussion about this new Chicago-style hot dog place that opened recently in Tempe. All of a sudden, this woman starts telling a story about her husband helping out at some charity event in Mesa. Well, as soon as she said "Mesa," I had a pretty good idea where the whole thing was going, but I figured she's not a Cub fan, just one of those people who seem to think that if you're from Chicago.... So I let her yammer on.

Anyway, she finally got to the punchline, that her husband got to meet ACTUAL CUBS players! Of course, she didn't know who any of them were (then again, neither do a lot a lot of Cub fans), but she did say that her husband got Dusty Baker's autograph--"he's the coach, right?"

Once she finally stopped talking, I just looked at her and quietly said, "I'm a Sox fan; there are a lot of us in Chicago and everywhere else." I thought about adding that I wouldn't take Dusty's autograph if HE paid ME, but I let it go. LIke I said, she thought she was just making conversation, but this "you're from Chicago, how about them Cubs?" **** sure does get old!

Trying not to hijack the thread but....

Mary, what's the name and location of the new place in Tempe and is it any good?

MarySwiss
03-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Trying not to hijack the thread but....

Mary, what's the name and location of the new place in Tempe and is it any good?

From the Parking Lot:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67975

As for how good, jury is still out. I liked the tamales, but Jim (Mr.MarySwiss) said the beef was "average," and he prefers the beef from Rosati's at Warner and McClintock. However, the serving of beef was substantial, but they didn't give me the side of peppers and au jus that I asked for, so that could make a difference. Also, I did not try a dog, but while I was there, a guy came in and asked if the dogs were char-broiled and the owner recoiled in horror. Plus, he passed the celery salt test. And he's from Belmont and Cicero.

Here's the link to the Web site. I'm willing to give them another try, just because they have Chicago bunch tamales. I cannot stand the Arizona version of these, although they are undoubtedly more authentic.

Linky (http://www.zsrestaurants.com/index.html)

AZChiSoxFan
03-24-2006, 05:05 PM
From the Parking Lot:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67975

As for how good, jury is still out. I liked the tamales, but Jim (Mr.MarySwiss) said the beef was "average," and he prefers the beef from Rosati's at Warner and McClintock. However, the serving of beef was substantial, but they didn't give me the side of peppers and au jus that I asked for, so that could make a difference. Also, I did not try a dog, but while I was there, a guy came in and asked if the dogs were char-broiled and the owner recoiled in horror. Plus, he passed the celery salt test. And he's from Belmont and Cicero.

Here's the link to the Web site. I'm willing to give them another try, just because they have Chicago bunch tamales. I cannot stand the Arizona version of these, although they are undoubtedly more authentic.

Linky (http://www.zsrestaurants.com/index.html)

Thanks Mary, I'll have to give it a try.

MarySwiss
03-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks Mary, I'll have to give it a try.

Let me know what you think.

BiancaCalzini
03-25-2006, 12:16 AM
First off - can we please not paint all DePaul alums with the same cyanotic-blue brush? I raised my daughter to be a loyal Sox fan and she can take on northsiders with the best of us. Incidentally, BOTH of us own pink Sox shirts: they're the only ones styled with a neckline more comfy for us ladies.
Some SCFMs:

At the Bullpen Sports Bar, I overheard one of their fans explaining the ERA to his rapt girlfriend thus: "If a pitcher goes all 9 innings and gives up 5 earned runs, then his ERA is 5...and if he does that again in his next start, his ERA is 10!" His girlfriend believed him.

At SoxFest a few years back, a northside fan got into it with me about the location of the rotor cuff. He insisted it was located in the elbow and became quite impatient with me for not agreeing with him. God MUST be a Sox fan because, seated at the next table was Herm Schneider himself. He quickly set the guy straight. The northsider's expression was a joy to behold.

At the '94 Crosstown Classic, a guy in Scrubbie blue was looking at the Jumbotron and, when the Farm Report turned up, griped "They're just doing that because of Michael Jordan!" When we tried to tell him that this was a longstanding tradition, he had the nerve to insist it was not. As though he would know what goes on at our park! Nothing so self-assured as ignorance.

A friend phoned in '03, trying to be coy about Comiskey's new name. She had relatives coming in from out of town, she told me, and how was she ever to explain it to them? (Obviously, some kind of big challenge for her) I patiently informed her that this was not the first time a ballpark acquired a corporate name. For instance, one of the earliest occurrences of this was the re-naming of Weeghman Park. -- confused silence on the line -- we know it as Wrigley Field. No further cute comments.

Now, I see this as a chicken-or-egg debate: does being a Cub fan make people stupid or do mostly stupid people become Cub fans?:thankgod

SOecks
03-25-2006, 09:24 AM
I think I disagree with you about the location and existense of this "rotor cuff" you speak of as well. :tongue: Now if you want to talk about the rotator cuff...

TornLabrum
03-25-2006, 10:25 AM
I think I disagree with you about the location and existense of this "rotor cuff" you speak of as well. :tongue: Now if you want to talk about the rotator cuff...

And if you'd like to talk about the existence of the rotator cuff.... :tongue:

miker
03-25-2006, 12:51 PM
[quote=BiancaCalzini]Now, I see this as a chicken-or-egg debate: does being a Cub fan make people stupid or do mostly stupid people become Cub fans?/quote]

Yes!

And one of my female friends has a pink Sox shirt she looks just fine in it!

Layla
03-26-2006, 10:34 AM
My own recent stupid Cub fan moment:

I have a copy of a picture of me and World Series trophy by my station at work. A Cubs fans says "what are you standing next to?":rolleyes: (forget the fact the background says World Series trophy tour.)

I replied "Something you'll never see.":D:

Kwrubac
03-27-2006, 01:59 PM

Well Da Mayor bulldozed Meigs in the middle of the night claiming it was a threat...cannot the same be said about Wrigley Field? Fire up the bulldozers Boss Daley we've got some renovating to do on the North Side!
:dtroll:

AuroraSoxFan
03-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Wow Hangar. How'd that lady even get into DePaul? She must be related to somone in admissions or something. I guess if gigantic trophs, no parking, scumbag scalpers up and down the block, thousands of Starbucks credit card carrying yuppies, and falling concrete equate to a better stadium so be it.

SoxFan76
03-27-2006, 02:17 PM
A buddy of mine said the Sox don't have a cool 7th inning stretch.

Then I told him the White Sox made that tradition famous BEFORE the Cubs.

He also was trying to make fun of the fact that the Sox play in "Cingular Park"

Ignoring the obvious, I then told him about Weeghman Park, field, whatever.

He then told me I sure know a lot about the Cubs.

I told him I'm not going to talk **** about a team unless I know what to say. :rolleyes:

Cub fans sure are one of a kind.