PDA

View Full Version : Fields, Blakely, Montero reassigned

A. Cavatica
03-21-2006, 09:30 PM
No surprises there.

PAPChiSox729
03-21-2006, 09:35 PM
I liked Blakely a lot. I don't know why, but it was like watching another Carl Everett. I hope he catches on with some other team.

delben91
03-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060321&content_id=1358723&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Last line in the notes section at the bottom of the article, for those who're interested.

Tragg
03-21-2006, 10:00 PM
I liked Blakely a lot. I don't know why, but it was like watching another Carl Everett. I hope he catches on with some other team.
The Sox org still has him, doesn't it?
I take it Gload figures to make the team? What kind of spring has he had?

And thirdly, isn't it a bit odd for someone as inexperienced as Logan to make a ML roster? How did that work?

Banix12
03-21-2006, 11:03 PM

I take it Gload figures to make the team? What kind of spring has he had?

And thirdly, isn't it a bit odd for someone as inexperienced as Logan to make a ML roster? How did that work?

I'm pretty sure the sox still have him. He's not really a prospect these days so even if he had to go through waivers the sox should retain him. Based on his strong spring I expect him to get a sink-or-swim season at AAA. He's never really played at the AAA level and he's been a pro player for awhile now.

Gload on the spring so far
11 games / 33 AB / 9 hits / 4 2b / 1 HR / 4 R / 6 RBI / 2 BB / 7 K / .273 avg. / .314 OBP / .485 slg.

Not outstanding, but not that bad.

Logan seems primed to make the team because he's pitched extremely well and just about everybody else has stunk up the joint. The only other lefty that's had a decent spring is Javier Lopez. It's a bit odd but not unprecidented for someone such as Logan to make it.

Logan's spring
5 games / 7 1/3 innings pitched / ERA 0.00 / 3 hits / 1 BB / 2 K / 0.55 WHIP

Lopez only really beats him out in K's. 11 to 2.

PAPChiSox729
03-22-2006, 06:54 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do. I just don't see him getting much of an opprotunity here.

Tragg
03-22-2006, 07:56 AM
I'm pretty sure the sox still have him. He's not really a prospect these days so even if he had to go through waivers the sox should retain him. Based on his strong spring I expect him to get a sink-or-swim season at AAA. He's never really played at the AAA level and he's been a pro player for awhile now.

Gload on the spring so far
11 games / 33 AB / 9 hits / 4 2b / 1 HR / 4 R / 6 RBI / 2 BB / 7 K / .273 avg. / .314 OBP / .485 slg.

Not outstanding, but not that bad.

But that's a really bad OBP, especially when you hit .273 and against spring training pitchers.
Why was he so much more "in our plans" than Borchard?

Lip Man 1
03-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Terry Forster, Scott Radinsky and Bobby Jenks were all inexperienced too....sometimes a kid has what it takes...most of the time they don't but Logan's spring has at least earned him a shot with the big club for the next few weeks at least.

I mean it's not like the other career castoff's were impressive at all.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
03-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Terry Forster, Scott Radinsky and Bobby Jenks were all inexperienced too....sometimes a kid has what it takes...most of the time they don't but Logan's spring has at least earned him a shot with the big club for the next few weeks at least.

I mean it's not like the other career castoff's were impressive at all.

LipForster, Radinsky and Jenks all showed dominance at their minor league level. Logan has not. But he seems to have won the job by default. I believe his roster spot will depend on Hermanson's status. If Dustin starts the season on the DL, Logan is probably in. If not, I'd expect Thornton to get the roster spot over Logan.

CHISOXFAN13
03-22-2006, 12:48 PM
But that's a really bad OBP, especially when you hit .273 and against spring training pitchers.

It's 33 at-bats! If he goes 3 for 4 today, he's hitting better than .300 with an OBP better than .350.

The sample size is much to small to be upset about it.

TomBradley72
03-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Gload looked pretty good the past few days...a little extra bounce in his step now that he knows he's on the roster...the guy can hit, play nice defense at 1B, adequate defense in LF/RF, left handed bat off the bench...I like it.

I like Logan as the #2 LH out of the pen...let the new guy from Seattle get a "second spring training" under Coop, mop up work only...bring him into the mix down the road.

palehozenychicty
03-22-2006, 01:13 PM
they all played reasonably well. their time just isn't now.

A. Cavatica
03-22-2006, 02:21 PM
I like Gload, but he just doesn't fit on a team that has only one good outfield reserve (Mackowiak). I will be shocked if Gload is on the opening day roster. Kenny can surely find a slap hitter who can play center, pinch run, and draw the occasional walk.

Has anyone seen a public statement from the Sox to the effect that "Ross Gload has made this team"? Even Boone Logan is getting more love.

Banix12
03-22-2006, 03:25 PM

Because Gload is a much better hitter than Borchard. And Borchard may have written himself out of the sox plans when he asked for a trade.

You had been pining away for Borchard all offseason based on his power and the last two months of last season where he hit .300.

What about Gload's half a season in Charlotte where he hit over .364 in 236 AB and was actually hitting homeruns at a slightly faster rate than Borchard? He'll also hit more doubles than Borchard. Last year in AAA Gload hit 22 doubles in half a season. Borchard hit a total of 20 in over twice as many ABs. At least of the course of their AAA careers the homerun difference isn't even that large. Both have 78 HRs in AAA and Gload only has around 90 extra ABs.

Borchard may have the ability to hit the ball farther but he's never had a slugging percentage higher than Ross Gload's in his whole AAA career.