PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Quote Of The Day - 3/21

Lip Man 1
03-21-2006, 10:23 PM
"I'm reading the box scores, Scully. You'd like it. It's like the Pythagorean Theorem for jocks. It distills all the chaos and action of any game in the history of all baseball games into one tiny, perfect, rectangular sequence of numbers. I can look at this box and I can recreate exactly what happened on some sunny summer day back in 1947. It's like the numbers talk to me, they comfort me. They tell me that even though lots of things can change some things do remain the same." -- Fox Mulder, from The X-Files episode, 'The Unnatural'

Saw it again last night on TNT. It's the story of a black Negro League player from Roswell, New Mexico in the 1940's (hmmm...) who has an amazing batting average and more home runs in a single season then anyone......he also has a secret.....he's not from this world. But he basically turns his back on his colony and is murdered for it, because nothing means more to him then playing the game humans call 'baseball.'

A great episode.

By the way, here's a small piece of X-Files trivia...the character named Dana Scully is based on the show creators enjoyment of having listened to Vin Scully for all those years doing the Dodgers.

Lip

WSox8404
03-21-2006, 11:05 PM
"I'm reading the box scores, Scully. You'd like it. It's like the Pythagorean Theorem for jocks. It distills all the chaos and action of any game in the history of all baseball games into one tiny, perfect, rectangular sequence of numbers. I can look at this box and I can recreate exactly what happened on some sunny summer day back in 1947. It's like the numbers talk to me, they comfort me. They tell me that even though lots of things can change some things do remain the same." -- Fox Mulder, from The X-Files episode, 'The Unnatural'

Saw it again last night on TNT. It's the story of a black Negro League player from Roswell, New Mexico in the 1940's (hmmm...) who has an amazing batting average and more home runs in a single season then anyone......he also has a secret.....he's not from this world. But he basically turns his back on his colony and is murdered for it, because nothing means more to him then playing the game humans call 'baseball.'

A great episode.

By the way, here's a small piece of X-Files trivia...the character named Dana Scully is based on the show creators enjoyment of having listened to Vin Scully for all those years doing the Dodgers.

Lip

I remember that episode. One of my favorites. Hey maybe Barry Bonds wasn't on steroids and is just an alien.

TDog
03-22-2006, 07:55 AM
I remember that episode. One of my favorites. Hey maybe Barry Bonds wasn't on steroids and is just an alien.

It is flawed, however. Saguaro cactus doesn't grow wild in the desert around Roswell, N.M., and it didn't in the 1940s.

soxfanatlanta
03-22-2006, 09:02 AM
It is flawed, however. Saguaro cactus doesn't grow wild in the desert around Roswell, N.M., and it didn't in the 1940s.

I hate to sound like Peter Boyle, but how the hell did you know that? :?:

WSox8404
03-22-2006, 12:27 PM

And you might have been the only one who actually noticed that...lol.

1951Campbell
03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
I hate to sound like Peter Boyle, but how the hell did you know that? :?:

As a former New Mexico resident, I can tell you that there are no Saguaro cacti in New Mexico, only in Arizona, I believe.

SBSoxFan
03-22-2006, 12:43 PM
"All the great ones are alien, Mr. Mulder."

I have this one on tape; one of my all-time favorite episodes.

David Duchovny is obviously a baseball fan, as he wrote the episode.

voodoochile
03-22-2006, 01:48 PM

Yeah and if that were the only problem with that show, it would be truly amazing...:rolleyes:

daveeym
03-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Yeah and if that were the only problem with that show, it would be truly amazing...:rolleyes::tsk: :tsk: Disbeliver. The truth is out there.

voodoochile
03-22-2006, 01:54 PM
:tsk: :tsk: Disbeliver. The truth is out there.

Yeah sure...

Haven't you heard? It's the Raelians...:rolleyes:

Iwritecode
03-22-2006, 02:07 PM
"All the great ones are alien, Mr. Mulder."

I have this one on tape; one of my all-time favorite episodes.

David Duchovny is obviously a baseball fan, as he wrote the episode.

Reminds me of the ending of Men in Black where he mentions that Dennis Rodman is an alien.

Elle: Hey, Jay! Zed called. The high consulate from Solaxiant 9 wants floor seats for the next Bulls game.
Jay: Alright, let's put in a call to Dennis Rodman. He's from that planet.
Elle: Rodman? You're kidding.
Jay: Nope.
Elle: Not much of a disguise.

:D:

mcg
03-22-2006, 02:39 PM
What a great episode! Watching it back in college with some friends inspired us to go out and play Wiffleball at about 11pm one night. We rounded up as many people as possible and that turned out to be the night I met my husband.

MsSoxVixen22
03-22-2006, 03:30 PM

A great episode.

Lip

Lip you just brought a much needed :smile: to my face but putting up that X-File quote. I loved that episode as well...especially the end when Mulder teaches Scully to hit a baseball.

WSox8404
03-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah and if that were the only problem with that show, it would be truly amazing...:rolleyes:

That was a damn good show thank you very much. You just have to take it for what it is worth. Which usually wasn't much, but if you kept an open mind.....