PDA

View Full Version : Late Fee

Paulwny
01-15-2002, 11:30 AM
I heard this today, don't know if it's true.

Part of the agreement between the yanks, mets and NYC calls for a $5mil penalty / yr. to be paid to each team until their stadiums are built. The $5mil is the projected increase in revenue each team would gain from increased attendance.
If it's true, this is further proof that politicians are below owners on the intelligence ladder.

Paulwny
01-15-2002, 11:50 AM
The above is incorrect but, this is just as bad.

" The Giuliani administration agreed to pay both clubs $50 million over five years to cover planning costs for the new stadiums."

duke of dorwood
01-15-2002, 03:48 PM
Like they need more $.

RichH55
01-16-2002, 12:04 AM
And yet another reason baseball needs a huge revamp....anything that smaller revenue/market teams do that makes them competitive will eventually be co-opted by richer ballclubs....sort of like the situation that occured around Branch Rickey that led to the institution of a draft(IIRC)

RichH55
01-16-2002, 12:07 AM
This co-opting of good ideas is the reason I'm against endorsements on uniforms as well....say KC has things patched on...they make some more money and god willing use it wisely....get an upgrade in talent...how long before the Mets look like Nascar and to further add humiliation to the whole process the Mets probably get more for the endorsements thus creating an even bigger discrepansy between Rich and Poor, Big and Small....and that would just be a microcosm of what you are going to get with Stadiums(especially for the NY teams)...and then a viscious cycle of newer and newer parks(ie Cominsky being outdated already)...and so ends this diatribe

Fisk Fan
01-16-2002, 08:15 AM
It looks like we are heading toward a European Soccer League motif. Their uniforms are covered with advertising, right down to the socks. How ridiculous!

FarmerAndy
01-16-2002, 09:00 AM
Hey! It doesn't have to stop there. How about advertising rights to plays during the game? Imagine this: "Konerko hits a ground ball up the middle, brought to you by Pepsi. A-Rod with the grab, compliments of Mller Light, and the Joe Rizza Ford throw to first is in time. Two outs."

It's really sad where the game has headed since '94. Has anybody else read "Fair Ball" by Bob Costas? Every owner and player should read that book. He offers some really good ideas to bring about a more level playing field in the game, without being too communist.

voodoochile
01-16-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Hey! It doesn't have to stop there. How about advertising rights to plays during the game? Imagine this: "Konerko hits a ground ball up the middle, brought to you by Pepsi. A-Rod with the grab, compliments of Mller Light, and the Joe Rizza Ford throw to first is in time. Two outs."

It's really sad where the game has headed since '94. Has anybody else read "Fair Ball" by Bob Costas? Every owner and player should read that book. He offers some really good ideas to bring about a more level playing field in the game, without being too communist.

Too an extent that is where we are at. Think about it doesn't every homerun get a donation from Pepsi to Sox Care or something? Every inning ending DP get a donation from some company to some charity?

Do you think those companies strictly do it because they are big hearted? No, it is built into the agreement that the deal (and hence their name) gets mentioned every time the event they sponsor happens. Maybe it isn't Magglio chugging a Pepsi as he rounds the bases after hitting a game tying shot, but still it is advertising...

Iwritecode
01-16-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Too an extent that is where we are at. Think about it doesn't every homerun get a donation from Pepsi to Sox Care or something? Every inning ending DP get a donation from some company to some charity?

Do you think those companies strictly do it because they are big hearted? No, it is built into the agreement that the deal (and hence their name) gets mentioned every time the event they sponsor happens. Maybe it isn't Magglio chugging a Pepsi as he rounds the bases after hitting a game tying shot, but still it is advertising...

This post right here is proof of how good some marketing ideas really work. How many times have we heard them say who is donating money. Yet, just a couple of months later we can't remember the name of the company... It's the same with the logos plastered on everything. If Dale Jr. happens to win a race I don't have the urge to go out and buy a case of budwieser.

Although some ideas work rather well. I have tried a few new things because I had the radio jingle stuck in my head. Or I'll see a McDonald's commercial and get hungry for it...

I don't know what this has to do with anything. Just my 2 cents...

:)

Jerry_Manuel
01-16-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
If Dale Jr. happens to win a race I don't have the urge to go out and buy a case of budwieser.

Of course not, you already have 2 cases in the fridge!

:gulp: