PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for the morbid: first managers fired

Baby Fisk
03-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Which managers get the axe first in 2006?

AL: Buddy Bell - KC
NL: Clint Hurdle - COL

Unregistered
03-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I guess it's just as easy as predicting the worst teams from each league...

34 Inch Stick
03-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Would I be crazy if I said Dusty?

Chicken Dinner
03-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Joe Torre for once again for not getting the millionare boys club to produce.

Baby Fisk
03-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I guess it's just as easy as predicting the worst teams from each league...
Not entirely. I almost picked Eric Wedge because if Cleveland doesn't live up to its post-season aspirations he could become the scapegoat.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Would I be crazy if I said Dusty?

No, that's my pick for NL.

AL: Ron from Minny

Huisj
03-21-2006, 01:46 PM
AL: Buddy Bell - KC

Is it just me, or is this a possibility every year? It seems like wherever Buddy Bell manages, he's always a candidate for being fired, and whoever's managing KC is also always a candidate to be fired.

Ol' No. 2
03-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Would I be crazy if I said Dusty?Nah. What's the point? He'll finish the year, but barring a miracle, he won't be re-signed for next year.

SOXPHILE
03-21-2006, 01:54 PM
I also say Johnny Baker for the NL. If (when) they get off to a slow start, and are something like 8-18 by the begginning of May, your going to start hearing rumblings about it, and if (when) the futility continues a little longer, he will be fired by the middle of June, or at the latest, before the All-Star Break. TribCo has nothing to lose, since he's in the last year of his contract anyway.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/pressbox/photos/headshots_players_coaches/110481_90x135.jpg
"Dude, come on man, that's not fair...why do you gotta go there ? Besides, what's this Tribune thingy you keep talkin' 'bout ? I mean, I've never even seen no newspapers, let alone read one, know what I mean, man ?

areilly
03-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Nah. What's the point? He'll finish the year, but barring a miracle, he won't be re-signed for next year.

I would have to agree about Dusty making it through the year. Cubs fans are too blindly in love with that man to stand for him leaving mid-year; more importantly, with 3 million coming through the turnstiles, I doubt Cubs management is going to suddenly change their stance on fielding a loser of a team.

NL: Grady Little
AL: Eric Wedge

Why these two? I think it's more likely we see a move by a should-be contender that fails than a miserable team that keeps on losing (Pittsburgh, KC, I'm looking at you).

0o0o0
03-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Is it just me, or is this a possibility every year? It seems like wherever Buddy Bell manages, he's always a candidate for being fired, and whoever's managing KC is also always a candidate to be fired.

two negatives equal a positive. buddy bell: 2006 manager of the year :redneck

downstairs
03-21-2006, 04:34 PM
AL: Joe Torre
NL: Dusty Baker

If the Yanks get off to a bad start- even if its just bad luck- he gawn.

I predict Joe Torre will not be managing the Yanks in June.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-21-2006, 04:46 PM
I would have to agree about Dusty making it through the year. Cubs fans are too blindly in love with that man to stand for him leaving mid-year; more importantly, with 3 million coming through the turnstiles, I doubt Cubs management is going to suddenly change their stance on fielding a loser of a team.

AL: Eric Wedge

Why these two? I think it's more likely we see a move by a should-be contender that fails than a miserable team that keeps on losing (Pittsburgh, KC, I'm looking at you).

i predict dusty steps down this summer, not fired, but i think he will quit as soon as the fans start turning on him

Brian26
03-21-2006, 08:31 PM
Torre is a good pick, but I'm going to go with John Gibbons of Toronto.

chisoxfanatic
03-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Torre is a good pick, but I'm going to go with John Gibbons of Toronto.

That's if that pitching staff doesn't perform.

I'll still go with Buddy Bell, for obvious reasons.

Brian26
03-21-2006, 08:43 PM
That's if that pitching staff doesn't perform.

I'll still go with Buddy Bell, for obvious reasons.

That's my point though. I don't think Bell would be in jeopardy even if KC loses 110 games because nobody has any expectations for the Royals. The Blue Jays, on the otherhand, just opened up the purse strings this winter and are making a legitimate run at NYY and BOS. If they get off to a bad start, management up there might get antsy.

I don't think Wedge or Gardenhire will be in any jeopardy this year, even with losing records.

beckett21
03-21-2006, 08:47 PM
I'd say Clint Hurdle and Buddy Bell are the most obvious candidates.

downstairs
03-22-2006, 09:34 AM
That's my point though. I don't think Bell would be in jeopardy even if KC loses 110 games because nobody has any expectations for the Royals. The Blue Jays, on the otherhand, just opened up the purse strings this winter and are making a legitimate run at NYY and BOS. If they get off to a bad start, management up there might get antsy.

I don't think Wedge or Gardenhire will be in any jeopardy this year, even with losing records.

Correct. Bell is going nowhere (this year). Everyone, including all of KC, knows their rebuilding project will take more than 2-3 seasons.* Therefore, Bell won't be fired unless he keeps underperforming in 2007, 2008.

*What they don't know is it will take 20-30+ years.

Baby Fisk
03-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Correct. Bell is going nowhere (this year). Everyone, including all of KC, knows their rebuilding project will take more than 2-3 seasons.* Therefore, Bell won't be fired unless he keeps underperforming in 2007, 2008.
What would construe "underperforming" in the KC Royals' universe? 120 losses? 130? Hee hee!

kraut83
03-22-2006, 09:53 AM
AL: John Gibbons. I think there's a ton of pressure on him if the Jays dissapoint (I hope they don't, but I have a feeling they will).

NL: Bruce Bochy if the Pads fall back early in that crap division.

VenturaSoxFan23
03-22-2006, 01:11 PM
NL: It's a two-horse race. If the Mets start off slow, Willie Randolph's gone. Jerry Narron of the Reds will be a close second.

AL: Jim Leyland won't get fired, he'll quit. Underacheiving bunch in the Motor City.

palehozenychicty
03-22-2006, 01:16 PM
NL: king toothpick (baker)
AL: gibbons (black jays)

Mickster
03-22-2006, 01:30 PM
:fireozzie

downstairs
03-22-2006, 01:31 PM
NL: It's a two-horse race. If the Mets start off slow, Willie Randolph's gone. Jerry Narron of the Reds will be a close second.

AL: Jim Leyland won't get fired, he'll quit. Underacheiving bunch in the Motor City.

Willie, yes... the other ideas- yer crazy!

Narron is new, and Cincy will underperform. Same with DET.

CHISOXFAN13
03-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Willie, yes... the other ideas- yer crazy!

Narron is new, and Cincy will underperform. Same with DET.

I don't see Randolph getting canned in his second year, particularly after leading New York to its first winning season since 2001 last year.

NonetheLoaiza
03-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Bob Melvin, Dbacks. I don't think he'll be lucky enough to survive if the Diamondbacks start slowly.

Uncle_Patrick
03-22-2006, 03:36 PM
That's my point though. I don't think Bell would be in jeopardy even if KC loses 110 games because nobody has any expectations for the Royals.

This is what I was thinking. Royals upper management can't really have any expectations that the team is going to do very well this year. How can they fire Bell knowing that the team is going to suck anyway?

Foulke You
03-24-2006, 09:51 PM

Agreed. The Blue Jays have spent a TON of money and expect to win. If the Red Sox and Yankees run and away and hide in the AL East, the Jays management will be looking for a scapegoat.

soxfan26
03-24-2006, 10:01 PM
AL: Joe Torre

socko82
03-25-2006, 06:12 PM
A.L. - Mike Hargrove...Ichiro had problems with him last year and management may be quick to pull the trigger if they get off to a bad start

N.L. - Willie Randolph.... Mets spent too much $$ this winter to be patient if the team takes a while to gel and Lou Piniella is waiting in the wings

SoxFan76
03-25-2006, 06:26 PM
:fireozzie

That picture shoudl be completely erased from this website.

Yeah, I said it Daver! Whatcha gonna do about it?! :tongue:

(for those out of the loop, Daver's not the biggest Ozzie fan...as I recall...)

samram
04-10-2006, 09:12 PM
I hate to bring back a two week old thread, but the Phillies have started out 1-6 and the fans in Philly aren't exactly in love with Charlie Manuel. I'm not sure what Charlie's qualifications are to be a manager anyway, but I wonder when they might decide to shake things up in Philly.