PDA

View Full Version : A's thought they were going to get "minor leaguer"

Gammons Peter
03-21-2006, 12:49 PM
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/baseball/mlb/oakland_athletics/14149209.htm

With the Seattle Mariners trading reliever Matt Thornton to the Chicago White Sox for outfielder Joe Borchard, the Sox interest in A's reliever Juan Cruz has diminished considerably, a person familiar with the talks said Monday. The A's were said to be interested in minor-league outfielder Brian Anderson. However, the A's, who are concerned about Jay Witasick's poor spring, might decide to keep Cruz as insurance. ... Infielder Antonio Perez had another big day. He went 2-for-4 with a homer and drove in four runs during a 7-1 win over the Mariners. ...

russ99
03-21-2006, 02:43 PM
The A's were said to be interested in minor-league outfielder Brian Anderson.

When monkeys fly. You can't pull fast ones on your ole "moneyball" whipping boy anymore, Billy.

BTW - Love the user name.

likeawarlord
03-21-2006, 03:26 PM
The A's were said to be interested in minor-league outfielder Brian Anderson.

to be fair, virtually every player is a former minor leaguer.

"minor league pitcher Kerry Wood."

...sort of has a ring to it.

DSpivack
03-21-2006, 04:24 PM
I would love to have Juan Cruz...I have him on the Sox in MVP. :cool:

But for Brian Anderson? *****.

veeter
03-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Sounds like a cub proposed trade, "We'll take Scott Rolen and give you Gary Scott." Good job by the writer.

PAPChiSox729
03-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Why would we want Juan Cruz? I've never thought much of the guy. Honestly, could someone fill me in as to why the Sox would show interest in him? Thanks.

Domeshot17
03-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Why would we want Juan Cruz? I've never thought much of the guy. Honestly, could someone fill me in as to why the Sox would show interest in him? Thanks.

My guess is because he would be the ideal Coop project pitcher. He has SICK, absolutely SICK stuff. However he can not seem to harness it. If Coop could find a way to make him throw strikes, he could be one of the more dominating middle relievers in baseball. That being said, I personally don't think he will ever find it. He worked with the best pitching coach in baseball over the last few seasons in ATL, and didnt show much improvement.

FedEx227
03-21-2006, 06:29 PM
A lot of people lovin' Cruz... I'm just wondering if we're talking about the same Juan Cruz that had a 7.44 ERA last year?! I agree he was better in Atlanta, but who hasn't been great; Jorge Sosa had a career year.

Banix12
03-21-2006, 06:34 PM
My guess is because he would be the ideal Coop project pitcher. He has SICK, absolutely SICK stuff. However he can not seem to harness it. If Coop could find a way to make him throw strikes, he could be one of the more dominating middle relievers in baseball. That being said, I personally don't think he will ever find it. He worked with the best pitching coach in baseball over the last few seasons in ATL, and didnt show much improvement.

He had a pretty good year in his one year in ATL. 2.75 ERA/70 K/ 30 BB/ WHIP 1.24. And wasn't actually that bad while he was in a cub uniform, at least in his first season or so. Oakland thought enough of him to get him back in return in the Tim Hudson deal.

If I remember his problem when he was with the cubs it was first coming into the game as a reliever. First batters teed off on him to some rediculous clip. usually then he would settle down.

There's plenty of talent there and I think it can be harnessed. I think Mazzone showed that. Wouldn't trade Anderson for him but I wouldn't mind him on the team.

ChiSoxLifer
03-21-2006, 08:25 PM

I can't say I agree. I don't know who the A's pitching coach is but they've had very good staffs for as long as I can remember. If the current coach can't help Cruz, I'm not so sure Coop can do much better.

Tragg
03-21-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm sure Cruz will be a good pitcher. I'd rather have him that the pitcher we got.
But for Borchard, not Anderson.

chaerulez
03-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Juan Cruz was a top prospect back in the day and he used to be a starter. He wasn't that bad as a starter for a certain stretch. I think it was Baylor's last year as manager in the start of the season. Cruz went 0-5 or something like that to start the season, but his ERA was around 3.50. Which means it wasn't his fault it was 0-5. What does the genius Baylor do? Take him out of the rotation. Since then I don't think Cruz has been the same, probably a psychology thing since Cruz was still pretty young at the time. If Baylor was a good or even average manager, he would've pulled aside Cruz and explained to him out even though he was 0-5 it wasn't his fault and that he's still doing a good job.