PDA

View Full Version : Hideo Nomo?

ArkanSox
03-21-2006, 12:43 PM
He was damn good a few years back, but the last couple years, ugh. Did he get hurt or just get old? I was surprised to see him pitching for the Sox. Do you think he'll ever see the Cell? Maybe later in the season, out of the bullpen ala El Duque? With our starters, he just seems like a strange fit for the White Sox.

eriqjaffe
03-21-2006, 12:46 PM
He was damn good a few years back, but the last couple years, ugh. Did he get hurt or just get old? I was surprised to see him pitching for the Sox. Do you think he'll ever see the Cell? Maybe later in the season, out of the bullpen ala El Duque? With our starters, he just seems like a strange fit for the White Sox.At this point, The Tornado is a strange fit for Major League Baseball.

The only way I hope he sees the Cell is in a box seat.

Chicken Dinner
03-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Huh????

WestSider
03-21-2006, 12:50 PM
I was sitting right behind the plate at yesterday's game in Surprise. Nomo started, he did not look good.

Box score: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=260320107

ondafarm
03-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Him being in the White Sox org plays exceptionaly well in Japan, where he is viewed as the godfather of all Japanese players coming here. No Nomo, no Ichiro, no Matsui, no Iguchi. While Sox have him as insurance in case two starters go down, they also have him for his ability to attract other Japanese talent.

ArkanSox
03-21-2006, 12:54 PM
"At this point, The Tornado is a strange fit for Major League Baseball."

Yeah, he sucked last year. I always kinda liked the guy though, and wouldn't mind seeing him make one more comeback.

ArkanSox
03-21-2006, 01:03 PM
"I was sitting right behind the plate at yesterday's game"

Lucky! Well at least he didn't walk anybody.

Good point, ondafarm, it looks to be a good public relations move. I guess Nomo was the first Japanese star to join the show.

rwcescato
03-21-2006, 01:03 PM
He was damn good a few years back, but the last couple years, ugh. Did he get hurt or just get old? I was surprised to see him pitching for the Sox. Do you think he'll ever see the Cell? Maybe later in the season, out of the bullpen ala El Duque? With our starters, he just seems like a strange fit for the White Sox.

I watched the game yesterday and was surprised he has gained so much weight. I guess he has lost a lot off his fastball. He does'nt spin the way he use to as well. I think they got him to fill in spots in the minors.

He gone
03-21-2006, 01:06 PM
I hope he's just insurance.

Maybe I'll get to see him pitch in May when Charlotte vists Indy :D:

Tekijawa
03-21-2006, 01:28 PM
I was sitting right behind the plate at yesterday's game in Surprise. Nomo started, he did not look good.

Box score: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=260320107

Actually I didn't make it past Logan, Politte, Jenks and Cotts in that box score that's really all I needed to see to make me happy!

On another Note McCarthy seems to be getting roughed up a little bit this spring... Is he working on something new?

mccoydp
03-21-2006, 01:28 PM
I watched the game yesterday and was surprised he has gained so much weight. I guess he has lost a lot off his fastball. He does'nt spin the way he use to as well. I think they got him to fill in spots in the minors.
http://images.art.com/images/products/regular/10107000/10107480.jpg

"Ain't nothin' wrong with a little weight gain...now where's my chicken?"

Banix12
03-21-2006, 06:25 PM
It's a combo of injured/old I think.

Basically he lost his fastball. he never really had the power to spot his fastball like a Jaime Moyer so he finds it hard to pitch at that speed. Also now without his fastball, his forkball is easier to pickup. Hitters can just sit on the fastball and let the forkball pass by.

He needs another complimentary pitch, like say a really slow changeup, or his career is probably done.

ArkanSox
03-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Yeah, when you start to lose an inch or so on the fastball, it can cost you. Thanks for the replies, y'all. He always had good stuff. Hopefully, he'll harness it. I'm sure that's why he's no longer Chubby Checkering out there. Tornado, no mo, but hopefully effective.

gbergman
03-21-2006, 08:04 PM
http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/392/299/lo/co4.jpg

smoking the reefer?

SoxFan76
03-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Hawk and DJ both mentioned his loss in velocity. When he broke into the league he was clocked at 93-94, and now he's at 85-86. Basically hitters sit on his BP fastball and take the Forkball.

StockdaleForVeep
03-22-2006, 02:18 AM
He still has the stuff to surprise people and pitch no hitter\shutouts

Banix12
03-22-2006, 03:17 AM
He still has the stuff to surprise people and pitch no hitter\shutouts

Magic?

IJay22
03-22-2006, 03:19 AM
I've always liked Nomo even though he has sucked the past couple of seasons. I say turn him into a middle reliever and let Coop talk to him.

Banix12
03-22-2006, 04:25 AM
I've always liked Nomo even though he has sucked the past couple of seasons. I say turn him into a middle reliever and let Coop talk to him.

A Batting Practice fastball coming out of the bullpen is still a batting practice fastball. I understand the sentimental reasons some of us have toward him but seriously, hitters are gonna tee off on him.

From the looks of it the sox are already gonna carry a project to the big club with Thornton. No room on the roster for two projects. Let him try to figure out a way to pitch effectively with finesse stuff down in the minors.