PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 3/21/06

Hangar18
03-21-2006, 10:03 AM
SOX are luckily able to get a little breathing room today, very good piece by Phil Rogers in todays cubune, regarding the Borchard experiment. I really hope this doesnt sour Uncle Jerry on 1st round signing bonuses, it was worth it if he had panned out.

Despite winning the World Series in 2005, the SOX still are not seeing 4 times the landslide Media Coverage that was expected compared to the amount of coverage the Cubs received despite winning Nothing, and finishing in 4th place.

Chicago Tribune:
1 cub story
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
2 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings as of Tues March 21st, 2006
4th Place in 2005 .....................Cubs 96
World Series Champs 2005 .........SOX 100

voodoochile
03-21-2006, 10:09 AM
It seems the two papers are making a concerted effort to keep the story counts about even. That is all we ever asked for and probably the best we can expect.

Besides, unlike the flubbies, the Sox have no major injury issues and are pretty much returning the guys who mattered most in winning it all last season. With 8 returning position players, 4 of 5 returning starters (and an upgrade at 5), the whole late inning bullpen and a healthier DH who is almost as big of a badass as Frank all the Sox are trying to figure out is a few bench spots and who are the back end of the bullpen guys. Not a lot to report on.

Heck the record hasn't even merited over the top coverage (not that records matter in the spring, but if the Sox were 20-5 or something it would be getting more coverage, IMO.

Things are where they should be. We should be happy our boys are getting treated like peers in the city by the media.

The past is for losers and cowards. Let's go forward and hope they got the message permanently...

Lip Man 1
03-21-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm still trying to figure out Hangar's 'justification' for a 4-1 margin "that was expected."

'Expected' by whom? By you Hangar?? :?: And how did you come up with 4-1??

For the nth time, you expect drastic changes overnight. Real life doesn't work that way, not after 20 years of goofs, gaffs and PR disasters.

:rolleyes:

Lip

Hangar18
03-21-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm still trying to figure out Hangar's 'justification' for a 4-1 margin "that was expected."

'Expected' by whom? By you Hangar?? :?: And how did you come up with 4-1??

For the nth time, you expect drastic changes overnight. Real life doesn't work that way, not after 20 years of goofs, gaffs and PR disasters.

Lip

YES, that was purely my own math. I figured if a team can finish in 5th place and have 90plus losses and lead the other team by 60 stories, what would a World Series Championship be worth? I know Lip, you said dont expect changes overnite, thats fine, your probably right.

But im not going to let the Media off the hook that easily. I'mstill gonna light them up daily for the past transgressions ............but thats just me :cool:

patbooyah
03-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I'mstill gonna light them up daily for the past transgressions ............but thats just me :cool:

and that is what i love about you. :gulp:

Chicken Dinner
03-21-2006, 01:41 PM
But half of the Cub stories are about Prior and Wood injuries.

Trav
03-21-2006, 01:44 PM

Many of the Sox articles were about Thomas' departing words. And Carl's for that matter.

Dan Mega
03-21-2006, 01:48 PM

The other half are old articles where they replaced the name Corey Patterson with Felix Pie. Basically no teal needed there.