PDA

View Full Version : New Role For McCarthy?

DSpivack
03-20-2006, 11:31 PM
From http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060320soxborchard,1,4372875.story?coll=cs-home-headlines, http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060320soxbits,1,3019560.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

"And with Dustin Hermanson a strong candidate to start the season on the 15-day disabled list because of lower back problems, Brandon McCarthy will move to a late-inning role."

Previously it seems his role was going to be as a 6th starter/long man out of the bullpen. Now, I don't know if this reporting is correct--it is the Tribune, after all--but if it is this seems to be quite a big difference from his past considered role.

Any thoughts?

santo=dorf
03-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Good.
I wasn't big on the idea of him being the long man because I don't see our starters having that many bad outings where they are done after 5 innings, and if he's a good enough pitcher to get guys out, why put him in a role when the game is out of reach? :?:

voodoochile
03-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Good.
I wasn't big on the idea of him being the long man because I don't see our starters having that many bad outings where they are done after 5 innings, and if he's a good enough pitcher to get guys out, why put him in a role when the game is out of reach? :?:

With that arm, he should definitely be pitching in innings that matter. Heck, he can throw two times a week for 3 innings 6-9 for all I care and that way his arm doesn't completely become used to short stints and the bullpen gets a rest on a regular basis.

TDog
03-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Some pitchers have to find their roles. Others are good enough to do whatever a team needs. I hope Brandon McCarthy falls into the latter category.

In strike-shortened 1981, the year before LaMarr Hoyt emerged as the Sox No. 1 starter, he was the middle reliever who had one started one game. He also saved 10 games. Some relievers are relievers because they can't get guys out the second time through the lineup. LaMarr Hoyt was someone who could come in the fifth or sixth inning to close the game out. Even in 1982 when LaMarr Hoyt got off to a 9-0 start, three of those wins came in relief. Some pitchers are just good pitchers. Hoyt Wilhelm made the Hall of Fame as a reliever -- short, middle and long -- but once when the Giants called on him to start, he pitched a no-hitter.

Granted, Ozzie Guillen never played with LaMarr Hoyt, who the Sox sent to the Padres to get a future shortstop and leader of champions. But I'm sure he appreciates the flexibility of a good pitcher.

ode to veeck
03-21-2006, 01:13 PM
He looked good in middle short relief on Sat in Tucson